F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Taycan Incoming...
Extreme Powerhouse

10-27-2020, 12:16 PM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
It's going to be a company car. I currently get a car allowance just now which works out about £300pcm after tax. I'd be losing this every month, but I think the savings in PCP payments, fuel, insurance and maintenance more than outweigh anything else.

My current A4 Avant will be VT'd in April next year, and the Tesla will replace that. It'll be a Long Range AWD, not the Performance version I tested, but their Long Range demo was sold!

My last concern is BIK after April 23 which is unknown at present. Covid has punched a huge hole in the government's finances and the motorist is usually seen as an easy revenue stream!
I'd definitely gamble at that.... in fact I get a car allowance (no car option...) and asked for the option to have a car just to avoid the BIK and have a free car for a while....

I suspect with take up of electric cars and reduction in revenue they may have to revisit their quoted rates before April 2023.... or increase the electric range numbers to get cars into higher brackets....but still a gamble worth taking as private motoring costs will get hammered at the same time!
Appreciate 1
DB118D1026.00
      10-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #24
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Quote:
They're due to install 6 superchargers on site less than 10 minutes from my doorstep which reduces the need to charge at home in my mind.

My only qualms were interior size (two lanky teenagers to fit in the rear behind me (6'1) and the mrs (5'7)) and boot space. Given there's space in the frunk for a medium bag and underfloor space in the boot, I think we'd cope with our annual Cornwall trip in terms of luggage space.
Having Superchargers on your doorstep will no doubt be handy on occasion but you would be best to charge at home instead, both for cost and your battery. Supercharger is 24p per Kw compared to 5p per Kw at home on an EV tarrif, slower charging by AC is also supposedly better for battery life than DC charging all the time.

I find the Model 3 more spacious inside than the F30, more legroom and headroom in the rear, the boot holds a similar amount.

Some upgrades coming in near future for Model 3 which will be different from your test drive car incase your not aware, heat pump for improved range, power boot, different wheel design, new headlights, black trim instead of chrome, new centre console, acoustic glazing.
I was looking at worst case scenario more than anything else

Home charging would be the preferred option, but the time-saving by supercharging is a bonus
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #25
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I saw a model 3 in white coming at me and the realised something is different and then realised it was a taycan. for the price it looks very bland and that's the opinion of my Porsche loving friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:19 AM   #26
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
It's going to be a company car. I currently get a car allowance just now which works out about £300pcm after tax. I'd be losing this every month, but I think the savings in PCP payments, fuel, insurance and maintenance more than outweigh anything else.

My current A4 Avant will be VT'd in April next year, and the Tesla will replace that. It'll be a Long Range AWD, not the Performance version I tested, but their Long Range demo was sold!

My last concern is BIK after April 23 which is unknown at present. Covid has punched a huge hole in the government's finances and the motorist is usually seen as an easy revenue stream!
Same here.

I had a 340i which I owned outright (so no monthly payments), but obviously saved on insurance, warranty, road tax, fuel etc. I worked it out to be a significant saving (worst case, circa £5k over 3 years, ignoring further depreciation on the 340i) so took the plunge to take up the company car scheme rather than the allowance I'd been taking.

In terms of running costs, I've charged mainly at home (on a non-EV tariff, so paying 13.6p/Kwh), but also some Supercharging mixed with some free charging. So not ideal, however over 3000 miles it has cost me 3.75p/mile.

Real world; 550 mile holiday trip. Mainly charging from domestic supply, but with a couple of free top-ups. Cost for 550 miles of 'fuel' was £19...

Quote:
I find the Model 3 more spacious inside than the F30, more legroom and headroom in the rear, the boot holds a similar amount.
Yes I agree with this (coming from an F31). Certainly more room in the cabin, and the boot, whilst not tall, is long. And the under-boot space is very generous too. Plus the front boot too.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
DB118D1026.00
      10-28-2020, 03:53 AM   #27
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

I haven't had time but will try to go through your options with you! Obviously these are subjective, but some of the things you have selected are almost useless. For example Sport Chrono on an EV is a complete waste of time and money. You do realise that you get front heated seats as standard (unusual for P) unless you particularly want the rear ones?

Watch some of Nick Murray's you tube videos on optioning Porsches, even ones on the Macan, Cayenne and 911. They will give you an idea.

I'll have another look later and attempt to give you some opinions! I have optioned to Macans now and way overdid the list the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #28
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
I haven't had time but will try to go through your options with you! Obviously these are subjective, but some of the things you have selected are almost useless. For example Sport Chrono on an EV is a complete waste of time and money. You do realise that you get front heated seats as standard (unusual for P) unless you particularly want the rear ones?

Watch some of Nick Murray's you tube videos on optioning Porsches, even ones on the Macan, Cayenne and 911. They will give you an idea.

I'll have another look later and attempt to give you some opinions! I have optioned to Macans now and way overdid the list the first time around.
Anyone willing to go through the P options list has the patience of a saint - tried many times, got bored.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:25 AM   #29
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post

Anyone willing to go through the P options list has the patience of a saint - tried many times, got bored.
It's one thing as a new buyer, but it must make buying a secondhand one a minefield. Having to remember the thousand different things that you take for granted and making sure it's on the list of ticked boxes.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
C320342.50
      10-28-2020, 05:39 AM   #30
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Nice spec and they look good in the flesh.

I'd consider a tesla if they did an estate and I'm not sure I could live with the interior but suspect its more down to the unfamiliar.

A 330e would suit my driving needs really but I want a grunty petrol. If they stuck the 545 engine in the 3er then winner!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:46 AM   #31
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I saw a model 3 in white coming at me and the realised something is different and then realised it was a taycan. for the price it looks very bland and that's the opinion of my Porsche loving friend.
I went to Porsche in Sheffield yesterday. The Taycan isn’t what I’d call bland.

On the carwow drag race with the 911, both drivers said the Taycan was better looking than the 911. Personally I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s not bland and certainly doesn’t look like a Model 3 to my eye.

One thing that did surprise me, it looks smaller than I thought it would. Wasn’t there to look at that, so didn’t check back seats or boot space.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 10-28-2020 at 06:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #32
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
I went to Porsche in Sheffield yesterday. The Taycan isn’t what I’d call bland.

On the carwow drag race with the 911, both drivers said the Taycan was better looking than the 911. Personally I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s not bland and certainly doesn’t look like a Model 3 to my eye.

One thing that did surprise me, it’s looks smaller than I thought it would. Wasn’t there to look at that, so didn’t check back seats or boot space.
perhaps its just me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 06:27 AM   #33
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

Taycan looks great in the flesh. Modern and stylish. The Tesla looks meh
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #34
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
perhaps its just me
I’m sure in some basic specs you can see a similarity.

The Porsche I saw in real life looked like this, and the Model 3’s looked like the below too. They look similar in that they’re both cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 06:33 AM   #35
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
I can see the similarity from the front, but that's about all.

White certainly doesn't do the Model 3 any favours. Seen a few around now, and whilst I wouldn't say it was good looking, in darker colours it's just bland rather than unpleasant. At least it's not as bad as the hideous jelly mould that is the Model X
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:05 AM   #36
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

If your buying on looks there's no question it's got to be the Taycan. The aero wheel trims don't do anything for the base Tesla's looks but are supposed to give around 10-15 miles extra per charge. The black Taycan in the picture looks great but not really sure why these cars get compared, apart from both plugging in they're not remotely in the same market. I would guess from the picture the black Taycan is a Turbo S with extra's so near 3 times the price, that's like comparing a base 4 series with a Carrera 4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #37
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If your buying on looks there's no question it's got to be the Taycan. The aero wheel trims don't do anything for the base Tesla's looks but are supposed to give around 10-15 miles extra per charge. The black Taycan in the picture looks great but not really sure why these cars get compared, apart from both plugging in they're not remotely in the same market. I would guess from the picture the black Taycan is a Turbo S with extra's so near 3 times the price, that's like comparing a base 4 series with a Carrera 4S.
The original point was comparing looks by one poster. You can compare the looks of anything, regardless of price or target market.

But, having seen both in the flesh I don’t think they look alike.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #38
saltyamigo
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
The original point was comparing looks by one poster. You can compare the looks of anything, regardless of price or target market.

But, having seen both in the flesh I don’t think they look alike.
No I don't think they look much alike either.

The Porsche has so much different specs you can make, base model with standard wheels in the picture below does not look that great in my opinion, but the car in your photo looks miles better, but only because you spent the extra money on a better spec to make it look like that, they're still the "same car".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #39
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I find the design language rather similar ie curves lines arches etc. ie more similarities than differences between the 2. The Porsche of course looks expensive but not by much.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #40
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No I don't think they look much alike either.

The Porsche has so much different specs you can make, base model with standard wheels in the picture below does not look that great in my opinion, but the car in your photo looks miles better, but only because you spent the extra money on a better spec to make it look like that, they're still the "same car".
Most cars in base spec look crap. Not just Porsches. Most don’t buy cars of this type, or BMW’s in base spec. How many of us on here drive round in SE spec cars, not many I’d guess.

Model 3 unfortunately doesn’t look much better in higher spec than it does in low.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #41
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
I went to Porsche in Sheffield yesterday. The Taycan isn't what I'd call bland.

On the carwow drag race with the 911, both drivers said the Taycan was better looking than the 911. Personally I wouldn't go that far, but it's not bland and certainly doesn't look like a Model 3 to my eye.

One thing that did surprise me, it looks smaller than I thought it would. Wasn't there to look at that, so didn't check back seats or boot space.
Not there to look at the Taycan, but actually there to took at....? Macan?

I've only seen one Taycan on the road and was amazed how small it was. I'd expected Panamera size and proportions).

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #42
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Not there to look at the Taycan, but actually there to took at....? Macan?

I've only seen one Taycan on the road and was amazed how small it was. I'd expected Panamera size and proportions).
I had a look at Cayenne to replace Q7 and an outside choice of a Panamera.

Wasn’t keen on the Cayenne, bit too small, and I can’t warm to it’s looks. Would rather have another Q7.

Loved the Panamera, but a bit of a fantasy, too expensive even after downsizing our other car.

It wasn’t a planned visit. I was at IKEA across the road buying a desk for my son and decided to call in. I know someone that works there, I couldn’t get an appointment at such short notice, but he unlocked a couple of cars for me and left me to have a poke around.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 01:15 AM   #43
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Am not sure how you can mistake a Taycan for a Model 3, one looks like it belongs in a Noddy film the other looks like the future driving around right now. For the price the Taycan is a 'bargain' , and certainly better value than an equivalent priced Model S, or even the new S class.

Ofcourse £5k wheels and £4k carbon fibre sticks ons make it less of a 'bargain', but keep it under £100k, the amount of tech you are getting really is fantastic. It does though show just how expensive EVs still are.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 03:30 AM   #44
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Am not sure how you can mistake a Taycan for a Model 3, one looks like it belongs in a Noddy film the other looks like the future driving around right now. For the price the Taycan is a 'bargain' , and certainly better value than an equivalent priced Model S, or even the new S class.

Ofcourse £5k wheels and £4k carbon fibre sticks ons make it less of a 'bargain', but keep it under £100k, the amount of tech you are getting really is fantastic. It does though show just how expensive EVs still are.
Whatever the Taycan is or isn’t, a bargain isn’t it. Options or no options. It’s right up there in luxury car money and I’m not sure how a giant Mercedes limousine comes into it as a comparison on anything other than money. May as well compare it to a Range Rover.

It’s a bit dinky and impractical for a family car in my opinion though. So it’s a compromised luxury experience. Which is not necessarily a bad thing if that’s what you’re after. Super fast, environmentally friendly, and if you don’t mind compromised space for the family you can squeeze them in and make it work.
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2294.00