F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clearing Up Timing Chain Inconsistencies
Studio RSR

01-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #199
F30_328i_uk
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

Hi everyone.

I'm new here. Only got my f30 328i m sport 2 weeks ago. I got it from a BMW dealership as an approved used, so came with a warranty.

Whiring/whining noise was present on revs, and gets louder on acceleration. It was obvious it was the timing chain. There was also clear scoring marks on the chain itself when looking at it through the oil filler cap.

Called BMW assist out to my home Tuesday night, was diagnosed and put on a flat bed to a dealership on Wednesday morning.
Dealership called me up yesterday confirming it was the timing chain and that they'd be changing it, along with all the associated parts (chain, oil chain, guides, tensioner, sprockets, etc etc). In addition to this, there was a slight oil leak from the gearbox so the gasket will be changed too (but that's unrelated).
All is covered under the warranty the car came with, so I'm not out of pocket at all.

Just wanted to let people know what I have encountered so people are aware which model and year it extends to.
My car is a 2014 328i m sport, build date of 05/2014. Mileage is 29,300 miles. It has the n20 engine, and I am in the UK. Car had one previous owner and has practically every optional extra, and came with a very well looked after full service history from BMW.

Having said that, it still fell foul of the timing chain issue.
It is very real, extends to the above build date, and region of the world. And even with the meticulous service history.

I am very fortunate as BMW have been fantastic in that the warranty is worth its weight in gold, and now I can enjoy my brand new (to me) car without worrying I'm going to encounter this issue. I hope this helps guide others.

Last edited by F30_328i_uk; 01-31-2020 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #200
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

m95roadster

I checked mine and the chain moves side to side but he guide does not budge at all. I would definitely see if you can stick a borescope in to check the mounting points of the guide to see if its not cracked.

My chain also has no slack. It does move slightly left and right within the plastic guide.

78,500 miles. Second owner since about 24,000. ASS off usually but I have used it. After free services ended I have only used Castrol 0W40 Euro Formula and I have gone up to 9000 miles on an interval but I do tons of highway driving with frequent 300 mile trips so I'm sure that interval is aimed more at people like me.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      02-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #201
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbox View Post
m95roadster

I checked mine and the chain moves side to side but he guide does not budge at all. I would definitely see if you can stick a borescope in to check the mounting points of the guide to see if its not cracked.

My chain also has no slack. It does move slightly left and right within the plastic guide.

78,500 miles. Second owner since about 24,000. ASS off usually but I have used it. After free services ended I have only used Castrol 0W40 Euro Formula and I have gone up to 9000 miles on an interval but I do tons of highway driving with frequent 300 mile trips so I'm sure that interval is aimed more at people like me.
For peace of mind I'd switch to 5-6k OCI, the fresher the oil the better. The little lubrication channels that lubricate the chains\guides are miniscule, if the oil starts thickening due to age\mileage it can start to slowly starve the ever so important parts of lubrication.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #202
m95roadster
Private
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltbox View Post
m95roadster

Thanks for the info. I don't think the guide rails should move at all. I was told that the rail is 2 pieces like a clamshell. So it's either coming apart or the 2 bolts holding it are loosening up.

I brought the car in 2 years ago (when CPO warranty was still in effect) due to a rattle and whine, but was told it was normal. I feel the dealership overlooked the issue. If there is indeed a problem with the guide or chain, then I think it should be covered regardless if the extended warranty for the chain expired. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:34 AM   #203
meltbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi GT (F34/N20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m95roadster View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't think the guide rails should move at all. I was told that the rail is 2 pieces like a clamshell. So it's either coming apart or the 2 bolts holding it are loosening up.

I brought the car in 2 years ago (when CPO warranty was still in effect) due to a rattle and whine, but was told it was normal. I feel the dealership overlooked the issue. If there is indeed a problem with the guide or chain, then I think it should be covered regardless if the extended warranty for the chain expired. What do you guys think?
If I remember correctly it seems in practice BMW will cover it anyways although it may take a little insistence on your part. They seem to be trying to avoid a forced recall or any lawsuits so that might be why they fix more often than not.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 10:36 PM   #204
trailblazer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Chevy Tahoe

If the timing chain and associated components are changed, is the problem permanently resolved?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #205
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Commenting to continue following the convo
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 09:37 PM   #206
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
You can subscribe to the thread. Might be more convenient.
      05-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #207
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_FThirty View Post
Quote:
You can subscribe to the thread. Might be more convenient.
I did! Thank you. I still kinda new. Wasn't on the app and couldn't figure out how. Appreciate you
      05-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #208
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
About 2 years ago I brought the car in to the dealership because of a whine when cold. I was told the noise is normal, but my HPFP and wastegate was noisy so those parts were replaced. However, the whine did not go away so I just ignored it because the dealership said the noise was normal.

Fast forward to 2020. So I decided to finally check my timing chain for slack with a cold engine. The chain has a lot of slack and the guide rails move a lot too. I know the chain might have some slack because the tensioner has no oil pressure, but is it normal for the guide rails to have this movement also? Video below...

2012 F30 N20 w/56K miles

I called my BMW service center for just this very same thing. They told me it's normal. I specifically said "ok it's normal for the chain to have some slack when cold, but what about the guides being loose"? He told me that "it's oil pressure that builds the tension, amd it's totally normal for that slack and movement to exist when cold". He asked me if it's "all tight when it's warm", and I told him "it is". (It's actually solid as a rock in there when it's warm. I definitely checked.) The last thing he said is that I "will know" if it's going bad. "The sound is unmistakable". So with that I bid him adieu. I do have an appt coming up for an alignment so I may request them to physically look at it then. I'm a 2013 328i with n26 motor and about 52k...
      05-07-2020, 03:26 PM   #209
f30nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 6MT/ E36 M3 5MT

Garage List
Quote:
I called my BMW service center for just this very same thing. They told me it's normal. I specifically said "ok it's normal for the chain to have some slack when cold, but what about the guides being loose"? He told me that "it's oil pressure that builds the tension, amd it's totally normal for that slack and movement to exist when cold". He asked me if it's "all tight when it's warm", and I told him "it is". (It's actually solid as a rock in there when it's warm. I definitely checked.) The last thing he said is that I "will know" if it's going bad. "The sound is unmistakable". So with that I bid him adieu. I do have an appt coming up for an alignment so I may request them to physically look at it then. I'm a 2013 328i with n26 motor and about 52k...
I had my timing chain/guides replaced about 5k miles ago. There is little to no slack at all in the chain when cold and none with the guides.

In my specific instance, the guides broke and were falling into the oil pan causing low oil pressure.

Was replaced at 72k miles

Alpine White 12' F30 328i 6MT (SOLD)
Injen CAI | Bootmod3 Stage 1 | VRSF 5' Intercooler| Mishimoto Catch Can | 335i M Performance Exhaust | H&R Super Sports | HRE FF01 w/Hankook Ventus Evo2 | M-Sport Retrofit

Last edited by f30nick; 05-07-2020 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: mileage
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #210
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30nick View Post
Quote:
I had my timing chain/guides replaced about 5k miles ago. There is little to no slack at all in the chain when cold and none with the guides.

In my specific instance, the guides broke and were falling into the oil pan causing low oil pressure.

Aaaaand that's why I have an appt to check the chain and guides out now haha. Weird how they say it's normal but it's likely because they want it to BREAK first, no? I'm hoping they will say they are failing at my check up so it will covered under warranty. They definitely did say it's "normal". I also definitely do believe you. Thanks for the info.
      05-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #211
m95roadster
Private
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Quote:
The chain will tighten when warm, but the guide rail on mine is still loose. That is not normal.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #212
chipguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 528i

Quote:
The chain will tighten when warm, but the guide rail on mine is still loose. That is not normal.
Correct, this is not normal. The top guide you can see from the oil filler cap is attached by 2 bolts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-22-2020, 10:01 AM   #213
helix247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30nick View Post
Quote:

Just happened to me. Not sure if my oil pressure was low, but it was leaking pretty good from pan/gasket. Regular oil top offs for awhile. Condition based oil change schedule so did not shorten then interval as others suggested.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 02:22 AM   #214
Old man John
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

330e cam chain failed

I own a 330e and it completed 38503 miles not even 4 years old had an A&B service at correct mileage. In August 2020 the timing chain snapped. BMW refused to offer any assistance or goodwill in any repair. Conveniently they said while inspecting it the vehicle had been tuned!!! Thus no goodwill. I paid the full cost of the engine rebuild £3802 and now the matter is with the vehicle Ombusman. Let's hope the independent Ombusman shows BMW to be very very poor at customer service. I suggest BMW should stand for Be More Wary
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #215
gzN26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i N26

Check out my post where i talk about gasket failure at 120k miles. Im about to find out what the timing chain situation is gonna be once they open up the engine.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1772584
      11-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #216
qualicas
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Long time since I posted here about my engine rebuild. The new head I had bought was barely better than my bad one. I did polish the cam bearings that are actually machined into the head. I measured clearance after polishing and left it at 0.002" max. I had the valve guides replaced as well. I actually used my old intake cam, the one that had seized. It was better than the one on my "new" head.
I rebuilt the bottom end as well. When I had the engine all together I prelubed it. Got it back in the car. Did you know that there are 3 wiring harnesses on that engine. I wondered if I would ever get everything hooked up. I did and got it running. I had missed a vacuum hose. I was going to sell it but my son decided he wanted it so he has had it since about April of this year. He has probably put 10,000 miles on it. (He moved to Venon BC from Calgary) So the engine has lots of highway miles. I also told him to make sure he disables the start/stop function every time he starts it!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:16 AM   #217
Rockyca
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipguy View Post
Correct, this is not normal. The top guide you can see from the oil filler cap is attached by 2 bolts.

If you look closely, the bolts do not snug down the guide, there is a 1mm or so gap between the bottom of the bolt and the guide which allows some movement. I believe these should move under normal circumstances.
      11-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #218
Q888
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30

Hello BimmerPost Members, this is my first post so bear with any newbie mistakes. Thank you in advance for avoiding the whipping post for now.

I just purchased a pre-owned 2013 F30 from a friend with 61,235 miles on the odometer. This car was previously a certified pre-owned car with a manufacture date on drivers door plaque of 5/13.

I just read this entire post in horror as this car is only 2 weeks old to me. I don't hear any squealing just soft tapping from what sounds like lifters. I went ahead and opened the oil fill cap and here's what I see.

What do I do? Am I hosed and do I now own an expensive garage ornament? Suggestions?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #219
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

I'd like to point everyone out here to my post

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1772418

My build date is 06/15. In my personal opinion, if you own a N20, you will have chain problems. I am way past the part update by 4-6 months and still had issues, even with solid oil change history.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #220
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q888 View Post
Hello BimmerPost Members, this is my first post so bear with any newbie mistakes. Thank you in advance for avoiding the whipping post for now.

I just purchased a pre-owned 2013 F30 from a friend with 61,235 miles on the odometer. This car was previously a certified pre-owned car with a manufacture date on drivers door plaque of 5/13.

I just read this entire post in horror as this car is only 2 weeks old to me. I don't hear any squealing just soft tapping from what sounds like lifters. I went ahead and opened the oil fill cap and here's what I see.

[IMG]https://combatace.com/translate/213347.jpg[/IMG]

What do I do? Am I hosed and do I now own an expensive garage ornament? Suggestions?

Thank you

After the engine is nicely warmed up, rev the engine and listen for an audible, high pitched whining sound. It will be very distinct from a typical low-pitch engine rumble, and can be best heard around 3000rpm to 4000rpm. You can also make a recording of the engine bay and post the video as you rev the engine. We can let you know what we think.

Through the oil fill cap, move the chain around a bit and make note of how much it moves side to side and up/down. It should ideally be very snug, but as the chain extends and approaches failure, the chain will become very loose. The amount of play in the chain can give some warning.

Did you check your service records to see if it was already replaced? It could have been replaced the dealer or previous owner.

Lastly, frequent oil changes is your best warranty. I do mine every 5k km. Good quality oil with a new oil filter can save lots of headaches. Also, look at your oil change interval records. If the intervals were short, then you might still be in good shape. There is a strong correlation between long oil change intervals and failure.

There was one individual who did oil changes every 5k miles and their guides and chain were quite well intact at 100k miles when they did the service. Maybe it was just luck, But the 20k km service interval from BMW is terrible.

Fortunately, it seems to be quite rare on the sedans that it suddenly fails without warning. Sudden failure is more common on the SUVs. So you should have some warning that your chain is failing. Simplest thing to do is to change it. Depends how you feel about the issue and your car.

Lots of info here: Another F30 N20 Blown Motor Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899