F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone installed MST inlet on N55 EWG??????
Studio RSR

06-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #23
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Fantastic research guys, I love this approach. Do you happen to log the Stock vs Pure vs MST?

Any differences outside of WGDC? VD graphs?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #24
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Fantastic research guys, I love this approach. Do you happen to log the Stock vs Pure vs MST?

The only quantitative difference we could discern from the logs was a small decrease in WGDC of about 1-2% and a increase in MAF, particularly in higher RPMs, of around 1-2 lb/min.

Having said that the butt dyno seems the most impacted in terms of throttle response/driveability.

I did put the logs into VD but its basically lost in the noise i would say. I think the bottom line with the inlet is that is not going to net you gobs of HP but should be a significant improvement in the responsiveness of the car. So its one of those things you will feel more than see in the numbers, and that is consistent with what people reported long ago when they tried the pure with a stock turbo. I would also add that its possible the inlet will be even more beneficial if you have a well designed, high-flowing intake. All of the back to back tests were done with the stock intake, MPPK airbox bottom, and afe dry drop-in filter. He then did a test putting the dinan back on, and that seemed to make a difference of maybe 10+ HP up top. However, the dinan had several issues with driveability, unstable MAF readings, etc, so he went back to stock intake with MPPK bottom. Note, the dinan had issues even with stock inlet, and another people completely indepedently had the same issues with dinan on a different car. So in other words if you already have an intake, you might benefit more from the inlet, although that's somewhat speculative and just based on where the restriction point would be (i.e., it is the stock inlet to begin with, but if you upgrade inlet, the stock intake might then be the restriction point). But if it were me, i would not put an intake on a stock inlet because you still have that major choke point (personally i plan to keep stock intake anyways, just saying).

Here is the VD comparison, including the dinan test.

View post on imgur.com

As i mentioned before the "bump" in the green line is from the road, but if you imagine a trace that goes from 5000 to 6500 you can see its clearly above the others. The 5k+ RPM might be where the stock intake begins to be the point of restriction with a good inlet like the MST.

Logs:

Stock inlet https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ecd...0b4373874ee99a
With MST https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ed0...0b434621ac4c6e
MST + dinan https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ed1...90c65530e92597
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2020, 04:01 PM   #25
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:

Little more expensive approach but we have answers!

I just looked back through my logs and I do have some with the Pure, Stock, and MST

WGDC at top of my pulls (6100rpms):
- MST @ 89%
- Stock @ 91%
- Pure @ 93 %

This is consistent over a couple logs.

I did notice also that the MAF readings were higher at almost every rpm with the MST. Most of them very small increases but between 0 and 1 lb/min throughout the rpm range over stock inlet.

Peak MAF
MST @ 46 lb/min
Pure @ 45.3 lb/min
Stock @ 44.8 lb/min
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #26
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
The BMS is a quality built piece no doubt but the MST V2 takes the cake of all the inlets tested!
I haven't look at the MST in person but my opinion has always been silicon pipes attaching to a hot turbo are not a great long term solution, the BMS inlet is aluminum and will last the life of a car. I've just seen way too many silicon tubes melt, split, or break apart over the years. Sometimes after many heat cycles they start collapsing. Hopefully yours holds up longer!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 05:52 PM   #27
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
I haven't look at the MST in person but my opinion has always been silicon pipes attaching to a hot turbo are not a great long term solution, the BMS inlet is aluminum and will last the life of a car. I've just seen way too many silicon tubes melt, split, or break apart over the years. Sometimes after many heat cycles they start collapsing. Hopefully yours holds up longer!
Well two things: its attached to the cold side of the turbo, and both the inlet and the cold side of the turbo constantly have "cool" intake air flowing through them. I highly doubt the silicone or the inlet in general are, either from being attached to the turbo or from being exposed to the hot air in the engine bay, getting anywhere near hot enough compared with the heat the silicone can withstand. At the same time the silicone is a much better option to reduce heat transfer into the intake air, compared with thin aluminum that is a excellent heat transfer medium.

Also, the stock inlet is plastic... although im sure its decent quality plastic, we all know how the same material holds up to heat cycles on other components such as hoses, charge pipe, etc. I would wager that the MST silicone is more durable than the stock plastic.

Only time will tell since we don't know the exact material the MST is constructed out of but the silicone is quite thick and seems very stout, and generally speaking silicone can be very durable and heat resistant far above what is needed from an inlet.

The BMS overall just seems to be an inferior design in terms of the ID at the intake side, the abrupt change in ID at the turbo side, the PVC sticking out more than stock, and the lack of a mounting bracket. Not to mention the metal construction transferring significantly more heat into the intake air.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #28
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Alright to try and bring this to a close, i think the recent post pretty much sum up the impressions of the MST vs. the BMS. Although the BMS was technically never installed and logged back to back with the MST and others, I personally am convinced the MST is the better option, so what is what i am going to go with.

Aside from the BMS, Ozy ran stock, the VRSF, the pure, and the MST. The subjective pressions and the datalogs support the MST being the best option, and i just dont see any feasible way the BMS can be better.

I went back and compiled all the pictures i could find of the various options in the album below. Given that the pure was sort of the benchmark before the MST, the side by side shots of the MST and the pure really show the larger intake side and turbo side, and overall larger volume and better design in terms of flow of the MST. Based on the VW testing articles (and more or less common sense), those attributes are key for the best flow. The MST also has other factors going for it - the silicone prevents heat transfer to intake air, its pliable and its modular design makes it easier to install, etc.

Having said all that if you already have the pure stage 2 or BMS, i am not sure the gains from going to MST would be worth the price, but if going from stock, its probably the best bet.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:41 AM   #29
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, 2004 .:R32T

Garage List
Just ordered the MST V2 (Hybrid turbo) for my stock EWG turbo car. Can't wait to install it. Thanks for all the research done on this!
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 10:28 AM   #30
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

One thing the data suggests is a need for a good intake to take advantage of the inlet.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #31
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32DBP View Post
Just ordered the MST V2 (Hybrid turbo) for my stock EWG turbo car. Can't wait to install it. Thanks for all the research done on this!
What is the difference between hybrid turbo and the other option which option would I get if I'm going ps2 turbo upgrade on n55?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #32
R32DBP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport, 2004 .:R32T

Garage List
Quote:
One thing the data suggests is a need for a good intake to take advantage of the inlet.
I have the CTS Turbo intake on my car now. I had an Injen intake previously and that was rough with stock inlet. The CTS intake has been great for me so far on stock inlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
What is the difference between hybrid turbo and the other option which option would I get if I'm going ps2 turbo upgrade on n55?
The hybrid turbo inlet would be for hybrid turbos. It has a larger inlet diameter to work with those on the hybrid turbos (i.e.PS2). However, based on this thread, the hybrid inlet diameter also fits on the stock turbos. So if you are eventually doing PS2, you should get the V2 inlet from MST.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:26 AM   #33
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I ordered the same, and i am also stock turbo EWG. Pretty excited to get it and install it, and i will be doing before/after logs and virtual dyno to see if i notice anything.

Quote:
Are you saying this based on the MST+Dinan logs?

I do tend to agree that having a good inlet will move the "choke point" of the intake system up from the stock inlet to the stock intake. However I am still hesitant to get an intake for a variety of reasons; potential MAF reading issues, cold start/idle, "hot air intakes" (that are not closed), etc. All evidence seems to show the car just runs the best and most consistently with the stock intake. Not saying aftermarket ones cant/dont work, but ill keep stock intake and leave maybe 10hp on the table up top if that's the tradeoff.

Quote:
I have the CTS Turbo intake on my car now. I had an Injen intake previously and that was rough with stock inlet. The CTS intake has been great for me so far on stock inlet.

The hybrid turbo inlet would be for hybrid turbos. It has a larger inlet diameter to work with those on the hybrid turbos (i.e.PS2). However, based on this thread, the hybrid inlet diameter also fits on the stock turbos. So if you are eventually doing PS2, you should get the V2 inlet from MST.

This is correct - the only difference between v1 and v2 (stock turbo and hybrid turbo) options is the size of the metal piece that slides into the turbo. There's really no reason to get the v1 stock turbo option... it literally just makes the inlet piece to the turbo smaller ID. All our testing was done with v2 hybrid turbo option on a stock turbo. And if you are getting a upgraded turbo, you definitely want v2 hybrid turbo.

Also, please logs before and after the inlet install with CTS intake! I am really interested to see the difference, especially in MAF, because CTS is i think the only intake that mimics the shape of the OEM MAF housing.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #34
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
I ordered the same, and i am also stock turbo EWG. Pretty excited to get it and install it, and i will be doing before/after logs and virtual dyno to see if i notice anything.

Quote:
Are you saying this based on the MST+Dinan logs?

I do tend to agree that having a good inlet will move the "choke point" of the intake system up from the stock inlet to the stock intake. However I am still hesitant to get an intake for a variety of reasons; potential MAF reading issues, cold start/idle, "hot air intakes" (that are not closed), etc. All evidence seems to show the car just runs the best and most consistently with the stock intake. Not saying aftermarket ones cant/dont work, but ill keep stock intake and leave maybe 10hp on the table up top if that's the tradeoff.

Quote:

This is correct - the only difference between v1 and v2 (stock turbo and hybrid turbo) options is the size of the metal piece that slides into the turbo. There's really no reason to get the v1 stock turbo option... it literally just makes the inlet piece to the turbo smaller ID. All our testing was done with v2 hybrid turbo option on a stock turbo. And if you are getting a upgraded turbo, you definitely want v2 hybrid turbo.

Also, please logs before and after the inlet install with CTS intake! I am really interested to see the difference, especially in MAF, because CTS is i think the only intake that mimics the shape of the OEM MAF housing.
So I have a question regarding installing the mst inlet. Im installing the inlet now since I'm doing tic pipe turbosmart dv and mst inlet all at once. The dv is in and I have the mst inlet metal adapter bolted to the turbo. As I try to slide the inlet onto the adapter on the turbo the mounting nut on the stud is not allowing the inlet to get all the way on flush.

I noticed in kies install video his mst inlet is notched where that mounting stud is on the turbo. So I'm wondering if you had to notch yours as well? I stopped for the day and my plan is to notch it tomorrow unless I can find any info saying I should not do so. Any info would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 05:37 PM   #35
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
So I have a question regarding installing the mst inlet. Im installing the inlet now since I'm doing tic pipe turbosmart dv and mst inlet all at once. The dv is in and I have the mst inlet metal adapter bolted to the turbo. As I try to slide the inlet onto the adapter on the turbo the mounting nut on the stud is not allowing the inlet to get all the way on flush.

I noticed in kies install video his mst inlet is notched where that mounting stud is on the turbo. So I'm wondering if you had to notch yours as well? I stopped for the day and my plan is to notch it tomorrow unless I can find any info saying I should not do so. Any info would be appreciated.
I did not notch it and i was able to get it completely bottomed out. See my post here and the imugr photos: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=173

Here's a direct link to the album. Photos near the bottom show how i had it mounted.
View post on imgur.com

You can see it's past the stud/nut. So I dont think you should need to notch it? I know Ozy had a little trouble getting it on as far as I did. The main tip is to put your actual fist inside the inlet and use that to push it directly toward the turbo to get it on as far as possible. Oh, and dont forget to have the hose clamp already loosely over the silicone part and oriented correctly or you will be taking it all off again lol. There's quite a bit of metal for it to clamp onto so its not critical it is absolutely flush against the turbo but it should be on there pretty good.

Oh, and while you are in there, before you put the silicone on, give the turbo a spin with your hand and check for shaft play.
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2020, 05:44 PM   #36
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post

I did not notch it and i was able to get it completely bottomed out. See my post here and the imugr photos: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=173

Here's a direct link to the album. Photos near the bottom show how i had it mounted.
View post on imgur.com

You can see it's past the stud/nut. So I dont think you should need to notch it? I know Ozy had a little trouble getting it on as far as I did. The main tip is to put your actual fist inside the inlet and use that to push it directly toward the turbo to get it on as far as possible. Oh, and dont forget to have the hose clamp already loosely over the silicone part and oriented correctly or you will be taking it all off again lol. There's quite a bit of metal for it to clamp onto so its not critical it is absolutely flush against the turbo but it should be on there pretty good.

Oh, and while you are in there, before you put the silicone on, give the turbo a spin with your hand and check for shaft play.
Your always so quick on your responses and I really appreciate it. So I have the hose clamp positioned already so that I can get a socket on it from underneath the car. I just removed the radiator fan since its only held in with one screw and a clip so I have a ton more room to try again tomorrow. The idea of putting my hand inside seems like it might be the key. I can definitely get it on enough to clamp but if I can I would much rather have it sitting flush so hopefully tomorrow I can get it mounted.
Oh and checking for turbo shaft play was the first thing I did with the inlet off. It's rock solid which is nice. I'll be going pure stg2 In a month or 2 so not super important just nice to know after 50k miles it's still solid.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #37
BulsaraF36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M-Sport

Will MST v2 work with Dinan big turbo?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #38
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulsaraF36 View Post

Thanks!
It should. If the Dinan is made to work with stock inlet, the MST should work, since the outer diameter of the metal piece of the inlet that goes into the turbo is the same as stock (it just has larger ID).
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #39
BulsaraF36
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
It should. If the Dinan is made to work with stock inlet, the MST should work, since the outer diameter of the metal piece of the inlet that goes into the turbo is the same as stock (it just has larger ID).
thanks for your reply. now I just need to find one in stock.
2016 435i M-Sport | Carbon Black | 20" 624M Wheels | MPPK | MPE | M Performance Brakes | M Performance Steering Wheel II with Display | xHP | Dinan Stage 4 | Dinan Big Turbo | Dinan High Performance Intercooler | Dinan Intake | Dinan Shockware | Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe | Custom Quad Tips | Autotecknic Red Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #40
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:

Thanks!
Do you have dinan turbo installed? If so can you pm me? Thabks
      11-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #41
BulsaraF36
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
Do you have dinan turbo installed? If so can you pm me? Thabks
pm you.
2016 435i M-Sport | Carbon Black | 20" 624M Wheels | MPPK | MPE | M Performance Brakes | M Performance Steering Wheel II with Display | xHP | Dinan Stage 4 | Dinan Big Turbo | Dinan High Performance Intercooler | Dinan Intake | Dinan Shockware | Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe | Custom Quad Tips | Autotecknic Red Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:44 PM   #42
Brenden.81
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xdrive

Garage List
2015 BMW 435i  [8.00]
How about cts inlet?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 07:54 AM   #43
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden.81 View Post
How about cts inlet?
The cts and the mst v2 Inlet are the exact same thing.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0