F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > XHP Trans Tune - Experiences and reviews?
proTUNING Freaks

10-20-2021, 11:00 PM   #199
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni-Rapide View Post
I don't dare to run stage 3 anymore. At a certain point in time the downshifts were so harsh in S-mode and M-mode it was really like banging in the gears, especially from 5 to 4 it was really bad. You could even hear it.
So first went back to stage 2 but that didn't help much, so back to stage 1. Did that for a while and then tried stage 2 again. After another while tried stage 3 but then altered the throttle blips to try and make it a bit smoother. That seemed to help quite a bit however downshifts were still quite harsh.
Last week went back to stock and I will keep it that way for a while hoping for that the trans will re-adapt. Even now in stock the downshifts in m-mode are not smooth (upshifts are), but to be honest I don't remember if they ever were?

However I don't know how long I can live without the custom shift settings for comfort mode. The ridiculously low shiftpoints drive me crazy. I don't understand how people can drive like that...
Can you post your adaptation values?
      10-21-2021, 10:39 PM   #200
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Bought the codes last night. Will probably flash Saturday morning. Is everyone pretty much doing this on battery? I was thinking of trickle charging overnight with a tender to peak it out and give that little extra assurance. I know the car leaves the battery around 80%.
      10-22-2021, 06:12 AM   #201
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE82 View Post
Bought the codes last night. Will probably flash Saturday morning. Is everyone pretty much doing this on battery? I was thinking of trickle charging overnight with a tender to peak it out and give that little extra assurance. I know the car leaves the battery around 80%.
With trickle charging overnight you should be fine. I flashed back to stock coming home after work and didn't use a charger. Took about 5 minutes and all went fine.
Will post adaptation values tonight.
      10-23-2021, 04:29 AM   #202
Uni-Rapide
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2019 F30 340i

Quote:
Quote:
I don't dare to run stage 3 anymore. At a certain point in time the downshifts were so harsh in S-mode and M-mode it was really like banging in the gears, especially from 5 to 4 it was really bad. You could even hear it.
So first went back to stage 2 but that didn't help much, so back to stage 1. Did that for a while and then tried stage 2 again. After another while tried stage 3 but then altered the throttle blips to try and make it a bit smoother. That seemed to help quite a bit however downshifts were still quite harsh.
Last week went back to stock and I will keep it that way for a while hoping for that the trans will re-adapt. Even now in stock the downshifts in m-mode are not smooth (upshifts are), but to be honest I don't remember if they ever were?

However I don't know how long I can live without the custom shift settings for comfort mode. The ridiculously low shiftpoints drive me crazy. I don't understand how people can drive like that...
Looks like this, no idea if it's good or bad?
Car has done 37k km's. About 7k with Pure 800.
Attached Images

10-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #203
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

All absolutely within normal range.
      10-23-2021, 10:16 AM   #204
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Looks like this, no idea if it's good or bad?
Car has done 37k km's. About 7k with Pure 800.
Seems fairly similar to mine except clutch E is way positive. Mine is the highest value of all my clutches but it's -17 to your over 100
      10-23-2021, 03:05 PM   #205
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Just flashed Stage 3 with no additional options. Haven't driven it yet and probably won't get over the recommended 50 or so miles before about Wednesday.

I highly recommend doing it with an ENET cable and Ethernet adapter for iPhone. It took less than 2 minutes for the initial flash so battery was not a concern at all.
      11-25-2021, 03:18 AM   #206
stapoz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix

I just installed stage 2. Sport mode disappeared. Before the gearbox never allows less then 2k rpm in Sport mode. That allowed to accelerate immediatelly without downshifting. Now there is no difference in Comfort and Sport mode. Rpm 1.2k when driving steady in Sport . I'll try the stage 3, if no difference will back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:50 AM   #207
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I am not an xHP user yet, but please note the following change of logic by xHP:

https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/ho..._logic_of_8hp/

I assume you read the product description and FAQ before purchasing....
      11-25-2021, 10:50 AM   #208
stapoz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix

The shift speed is different in sport mode and comfort mode for the stock map. There is no need to install xHP maps for this purpose. This is how the stock map works: soft and slow shifting for comfort and faster / stronger shifting in sport mode. The problem is that xHP maps remove sports mode. For the stock map, in sport mode, the gearbox keeps 1900 rpm or more, allowing you to accelerate instantly. After installing xHP maps, the sport mode looks like the comfort mode. Driving with 1100 rpm in sport mode is not what I expected from tuning maps.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #209
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Did you care to read the link I posted…?
      01-22-2022, 12:14 PM   #210
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapoz View Post
The shift speed is different in sport mode and comfort mode for the stock map. There is no need to install xHP maps for this purpose. This is how the stock map works: soft and slow shifting for comfort and faster / stronger shifting in sport mode. The problem is that xHP maps remove sports mode. For the stock map, in sport mode, the gearbox keeps 1900 rpm or more, allowing you to accelerate instantly. After installing xHP maps, the sport mode looks like the comfort mode. Driving with 1100 rpm in sport mode is not what I expected from tuning maps.
From xHP.

Our Stage 2 calibration follows a simple rule: The gear lever changes the Shift-Points, while the DEC changes your Shift-Speed.
      01-22-2022, 01:36 PM   #211
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Mhd has it already
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #212
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

When I got xHP, I flashed stage 3 (v1.7) with some custom settings and have been using it since without issue.
I recently got a new phone (Samsung S20FE, Android 12).
I wanted to adjust some of the custom settings. I logged into the app on my new phone and connected to my MHD black wifi OBD2 adapter. So far, so good.
However, when I try to adjust the settings for flash, I get a message saying that the xHP app wants to save the current settings, but it can’t connect to the internet. So, I can’t continue.
I am connected to the MHD wifi adapter (no internet) and I have the phone's mobile data connection on. But, it seems the app won’t use the mobile data because it is connected to the MHD wifi (no internet).
I tried setting the xHP app to use “mobile data only”, but then it won’t connect to the MHD wifi adapter.

So, I can’t flash, because I can’t save the current settings…

Any ideas how I can get the xHP app to use mobile data, while connected to the MHD wifi adapter?

I emailed xHP, but while I'm waiting for a response, thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has run into this.

Edit: I got a response from xHP. It was simple. The app (on the new phone) hadn't yet downloaded all the content. So, all I needed to do was select the car, adjust all the settings and save, while connected to the internet and BEFORE connecting to the MHD adapter and car. It's usually something simple and stupid. DOH!
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors

Last edited by PeterWT; 01-26-2022 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:06 AM   #213
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

There are plenty of reviews and impressions from xHP... I read and watched probably most, but now that I finally pushed the trigger and installed xHP, I realised how off one's expectations can be despite, or even because of, all the reading/watching

So to all of you who have already read and watched xHP reviews, here are a few bullet points about what I (and that's just me) found surprising when I finally installed it. Maybe it will be useful to some of you, especially those hesitating.

Note: These are first impressions only. I am still in the early testing phase, did 100km warm-up adaptation as required followed by about 50km of testing in various modes, Stage 2 and Stage 3.
  • The overall change is noticeable but not "day and night". Yes, it definitely makes the gearbox significantly more versatile than it already was, which is fantastic, but each individual change on its own is nothing drastic. Which IMO is actually a positive thing.
  • The above-mentioned added versatility is achieved by separating Comfort and Sport+, as well as D and S on the stick, further apart. Now one can really feel a clear difference between the different modes and combination of modes.
  • Comfort mode is not degraded in any way. The shifts are somehow a bit more intelligent, the biggest advantage is that the gearbox appears more predictive, the response time is shorter. Ironically some upshifts feel a bit smoother, others - a bit quicker than before. Could be placebo.
  • Putting the stick in S rises the RPMs higher than with the stock software. This is particularly noticeable. I went with "woo..." the first time I pushed to S. It's is not 5000 RPM out of the blue, but it does feel/sound appreciably higher than before.
  • Comfort + M (Manual shifting) is indeed (much) slower than before. I can understand why some complain. The shifts are extremely smooth and gentle, but there is a very appreciable lag between the user command and the gearbox even starting to shift. It does feel weird, but I personally don't consider it a big deal... Just different. If you are in a comfort(able) mode and decide to manually shift whilst cruising (why would you otherwise be in Comfort + M?), it wouldn't matter much whether the shift happens half a second later. Still a valid question why the delay.
  • I was pretty sure I will settle for Stage 2 as I expected Stage 3 to be too aggressive in Sport+, as many have declared. I was surprised to find out it is not. Yes, there are some "kicks" when switching gears, but I still remember my test-drive of M135i vividly (ref. the thread I started at that time: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1759089). The M135i has a different transmission, but it gives you such a kick in the back in Sport/Sport+ that Stage 3 on our ZF is nothing in comparison... just a small bump! I absolutely cannot say that it feels too aggressive or unsafe, at least not for the short testing so far. Since I rarely really drive in Sport + anyway, I decided to keep Stage 3 for now and decide later if I should go back to Stage 2. I have not yet determined whether there is a difference between Stage 2 Sport (not +) and Stage 3 Sport? I didn't notice at least...

Overall I was concerned the xHP software may be lacking sophistication and maturity, but it looks like it rather has more of that than the stock! I do like the increased versatility of the modes a lot. I always felt it is too subtle with the stock software. xHP subjectively feels more as a more intelligent reorganisation of features and modes the gearbox always had, rather than a "tune" which pushes boundaries. Yes, there are optional modes and features you can use to push it further, but that's left to the user. The basic setup feels like a further development of the original gearbox software, improving every mode, whilst not ignoring what each mode stands for. I am very happy to see that.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 01-31-2022 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2022, 02:58 PM   #214
gantona
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 340i (euro market)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
There are plenty of reviews and impressions from xHP... I read and watched probably most, but now that I finally pushed the trigger and installed xHP, I realised how off one's expectations can be despite, or even because of, all the reading/watching

So to all of you who have already read and watched xHP reviews, here are a few bullet points about what I (and that's just me) found surprising when I finally installed it. Maybe it will be useful to some of you, especially those hesitating.

Note: These are first impressions only. I am still in the early testing phase, did 100km warm-up adaptation as required followed by about 50km of testing in various modes, Stage 2 and Stage 3.
  • The overall change is noticeable but not "day and night". Yes, it definitely makes the gearbox significantly more versatile than it already was, which is fantastic, but each individual change on its own is nothing drastic. Which IMO is actually a positive thing.
  • The above-mentioned added versatility is achieved by separating Comfort and Sport+, as well as D and S on the stick, further apart. Now one can really feel a clear difference between the different modes and combination of modes.
  • Comfort mode is not degraded in any way. The shifts are somehow a bit more intelligent, the biggest advantage is that the gearbox appears more predictive, the response time is shorter. Ironically some upshifts feel a bit smoother, others - a bit quicker than before. Could be placebo.
  • Putting the stick in S rises the RPMs higher than with the stock software. This is particularly noticeable. I went with "woo..." the first time I pushed to S. It's is not 5000 RPM out of the blue, but it does feel/sound appreciably higher than before.
  • Comfort + M (Manual shifting) is indeed (much) slower than before. I can understand why some complain. The shifts are extremely smooth and gentle, but there is a very appreciable lag between the user command and the gearbox even starting to shift. It does feel weird, but I personally don't consider it a big deal... Just different. If you are in a comfort(able) mode and decide to manually shift whilst cruising (why would you otherwise be in Comfort + M?), it wouldn't matter much whether the shift happens half a second later. Still a valid question why the delay.
  • I was pretty sure I will settle for Stage 2 as I expected Stage 3 to be too aggressive in Sport+, as many have declared. I was surprised to find out it is not. Yes, there are some "kicks" when switching gears, but I still remember my test-drive of M135i vividly (ref. the thread I started at that time: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1759089). The M135i has a different transmission, but it gives you such a kick in the back in Sport/Sport+ that Stage 3 on our ZF is nothing in comparison... just a small bump! I absolutely cannot say that it feels too aggressive or unsafe, at least not for the short testing so far. Since I rarely really drive in Sport + anyway, I decided to keep Stage 3 for now and decide later if I should go back to Stage 2. I have not yet determined whether there is a difference between Stage 2 Sport (not +) and Stage 3 Sport? I didn't notice at least...

Overall I was concerned the xHP software may be lacking sophistication and maturity, but it looks like it rather has more of that than the stock! I do like the increased versatility of the modes a lot. I always felt it is too subtle with the stock software. xHP subjectively feels more as a more intelligent reorganisation of features and modes the gearbox always had, rather than a "tune" which pushes boundaries. Yes, there are optional modes and features you can use to push it further, but that's left to the user. The basic setup feels like a further development of the original gearbox software, improving every mode, whilst not ignoring what each mode stands for. I am very happy to see that.
This !!

It’s exactly what I think. Very good write-up !
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1877.50
      01-31-2022, 04:02 PM   #215
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:

Nice review. I agree.
I would just add that it makes me feel good knowing that, considering my stg2 ECU tune, the increased torque limits are there.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors

Last edited by PeterWT; 01-31-2022 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 06:04 PM   #216
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:

Great summary. What I noticed between S2 and S3 when driving in manual mode is the 2->1 downshift tended to get some high shift flare (where it's pretty harsh). I ended up going back to S2 more around concern about wheel slippage on snowy roads during that shift. Operation wise, S3 was fine the rest of the time for a daily driver though.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 09:37 PM   #217
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'll second this post. I pretty much agree with your thoughts.

It doesn't quite act how they describe but still an improvement overall.

Biggest complaint for me is that I've triggered a big clunk before that felt and sounded awful. I know how I did it so I can avoid it. Similar pedal play would clunk the shit out of a manual too so no big deal.

Second complaint would be downshifts with stage 3 are too aggressive and they lurch the car forward at lower RPM. But low RPM isn't the intended use of that mode so hard to really complain. I'll probably back the blip off by 5-10% to reduce some of that.
      02-01-2022, 04:38 AM   #218
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Great summary. What I noticed between S2 and S3 when driving in manual mode is the 2->1 downshift tended to get some high shift flare (where it's pretty harsh). I ended up going back to S2 more around concern about wheel slippage on snowy roads during that shift. Operation wise, S3 was fine the rest of the time for a daily driver though.
I haven't noticed that yet, for the short testing I did. Don't think I have manually downshifted 2 --> 1.
Isn't that something one can adjust under "Throttle Blips M-mode" for 2 --> 1 specifically?
Aren't there throttle blips in Stage 2 Manual as well?

Quote:
Second complaint would be downshifts with stage 3 are too aggressive and they lurch the car forward at lower RPM. But low RPM isn't the intended use of that mode so hard to really complain. I'll probably back the blip off by 5-10% to reduce some of that.
Also talking about Manual mode as well or generally? Sport+ only?
      02-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #219
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
I haven't noticed that yet, for the short testing I did. Don't think I have manually downshifted 2 --> 1.
Isn't that something one can adjust under "Throttle Blips M-mode" for 2 --> 1 specifically?
Aren't there throttle blips in Stage 2 Manual as well?

Also talking about Manual mode as well or generally? Sport+ only?
For me, I don't know if it's the throttle blips. At lower RPM and manually downshifting (at least in sport), it acts like a car with a high stall torque converter and you get a really harsh shift like WDE82 described.

Easy test is start coasting to a light, and manually downshift. It doesn't do it in stage 2 though so I went back to that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 10:48 AM   #220
Cobra358
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

The XHP trans tune is just awesome. You can stay in grocery getter mode (D) or go to race car mode in sport, adjustable blips to boot, and shift points. Best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0