F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MHD Multimap - pretty useless? No? Just me?
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2022, 03:13 AM   #1
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

MHD Multimap - pretty useless? No? Just me?

I can't say I have been looking forward to the introduction of Multimap as much as many, but I was a bit excited as well.... until I realised that it does NOT allow having different Stages, only a single stage with different settings in every slot (Fuel type, burble settings...)

In reality it should be called "Stage Presets" instead of "Multimap" as the latter is misleading.

I wonder what you guys intend to use the so called Multimap for!? To me it appears nearly useless! It's not everyday one changes fuel types (and even if, putting another type with even little residues from the old creates a mixture, so it will take time to transition). And simply having different burble settings is rather just... childish...
What is the intended application of this, without access to different stages and actual maps? Provide real-life examples please of how you would take advantage of it and for what?
      01-19-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I did not know MHD does not allow storage of different stages.

But even they do, why would you want to change stages? I would run the highest stage recommended for your mods.

I would have two maps with different fuel 91/93 and E85 if you have access to it and two maps with aggressive burble if you like the burble sound.

and maybe a custom map that's too aggressive for daily driving so you can use only when you need to

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 09:02 AM   #3
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Your scenario may be applicable to the aggressive tuners amongst us.

Since I often simply commute (with other people and pets in the car), I would keep the car in Stage 0+ or Stage 1 for all those trip where I simply do not need (or cannot take advantage) of a higher stage (sort of like Comfort vs Sport mode), for increased comfort, reliability in the long run or even for impromptu police controls. There is nothing wrong with those Stages after all. It would have been great to be able to jump to e.g. Stage 2 on demand and back.

I have no intent to use a custom map, I don't have access to Ethanol and am not intending to ever use. I would use the highest Oct fuel available, but that's not a regular thing I need access to from the steering wheel, for the occasional change of fuel type.

Having different burble sound levels is childish IMO. Pick one. Done. There is enough versatility through Comfort/Sport in that regard.

What I wonder about is whether there are technical reasons for not allowing Stages to be set as (multi)maps (which is what the name suggests on first place!) or it is simply a concept which is not well designed (yet)? If one can have a custom tune (effectively a completely different map) as a multimap preset (if I understand that part correctly?), why should it not be possible to have a different OTS Stage too?
      01-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Not too sure, to be honest, what's stopping them from offering the different stages. Im not familiar with MHD since I do not sell their products.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      01-19-2022, 09:08 AM   #5
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M140i

you can have one slot with for instance stg2 93oct and set the power slider to 60 percent , then it will drive as stg0
      01-19-2022, 09:18 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I know. But I don't need it to "drive like". I would like it TO BE... In every respect, not in terms of maximum power delivery.

MHD already suggested this workaround but that's just silly.
If I get stopped by police who would want to measure emission, noise, etc. on the spot, I may have no luck explaining, that my tune is tuned down to "drive like" a non-tuned engine.... you see my point, I hope Besides that, in terms of long-run reliability, it is certainly not the same for the engine as an altogether less aggressive map.
      01-19-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep

https://fb.watch/aDVmRPXPup/

some more info

a cop can check it ? , are they certified for such conducts ?
if one has zero knowledge about a car. and besides you can tell him what you want right ?
      01-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

In Germany they can and are allowed to measure noise and gas emissions on the spot. If you fail - you are sent for further inspection for illegal modifications. No need to have knowledge - they simply compare numbers to what's in the type approval.

Explanation like "But I did dial down my max power of my tune because this is all that MHD multimap allows me to do instead of switch to an actual stock map" would not help

I simply find MHD multimap disappointing and (potentially unnecessarily) restrictive. That's all.
Was curious what people are actually gone use it for with the current restrictions. (Please don't say different burble settings!)
      01-19-2022, 09:54 AM   #9
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i thought it would be possible also to switch between stg1 and 2 or else , im prolly not gonna use it anyway . i might give it a try to see what the power slider does, making multiple runs on a dragy with every slot ranging from 100 to 70 percent in 4 steps . i dont care about the antilag feature

cops will come after you if you make yourself noticable in town . my car isnt that much louder catless of catted when driving normal in comfort apart from the smell . in dsc off and sport setting on the zf box , is waay too much . then you will draw attention . now im only using xhp stg2 at the moment . the max makes the nicest wot shift sounds in comfort with zf box in sport . the other settings are much louder and too much bangs off throttle . i have zero burble settings in mhd
      01-19-2022, 03:41 PM   #10
not1337
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
In Germany they can and are allowed to measure noise and gas emissions on the spot. If you fail - you are sent for further inspection for illegal modifications. No need to have knowledge - they simply compare numbers to what's in the type approval.

Explanation like "But I did dial down my max power of my tune because this is all that MHD multimap allows me to do instead of switch to an actual stock map" would not help

I simply find MHD multimap disappointing and (potentially unnecessarily) restrictive. That's all.
Was curious what people are actually gone use it for with the current restrictions. (Please don't say different burble settings!)
I think the multimap settings that are available currently appeal to a much wider audience than what you are describing. I kind of doubt flashing a lower stage would affect emissions or noise level at more than a negligible amount. Hopefully you have your stock cat and exhaust if that's something you're worried about... Fuel changes should be the main purpose of the multimaps IMO.
      01-19-2022, 03:58 PM   #11
ATL_Nak-Muay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Msport

Is case the wife/kid/buddy wants to drive, you can hit that 50% power valet mode on them. Differents spicy for diff days. My tuner always gave me high boost, low boost, and valet when I was using the Cobb accessport's on prior vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by not1337 View Post
I think the multimap settings that are available currently appeal to a much wider audience than what you are describing. I kind of doubt flashing a lower stage would affect emissions or noise level at more than a negligible amount. Hopefully you have your stock cat and exhaust if that's something you're worried about... Fuel changes should be the main purpose of the multimaps IMO.
Potentially. I am therefore trying to understand what people intend to use multimap for. No sarcasm meant.

What is the exact purpose of on-the-fly change of fuel settings? I thought one needs to refuel (potentially more than once...) to acquire and make use of a different fuel type And how regularly do people actually change fuel type? (For me it is on average a once a year event, in case I am somewhere on a journey and forced to use lower octane temporarily).

Last edited by Skyhigh; 01-19-2022 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:32 PM   #13
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

I think of setting my Tuning Stage to match my engine’s hardware upgrades. And the Multimap as variations on that best HW tune. So I use it like this:

Map slot 1: Stage 2, 91 oct, 100% power (Normal)
Map slot 2: Stage 2, 91 oct, 85% power (Snow)
Map slot 3: Stage 2, 91 oct, 60% power (Valet)
Map slot 4: Stage 2, 95 oct, 100% power (when I fill up for a fun weekend with Race gas)

If you typically run 93 or 95 oct, you could do the opposite to me in Slot 4, and use a slot for 91 in case you ever have to tank up with the lower stuff on a trip…

I’m not running E85 mixtures, and don’t tweak burbles, etc. on the other slots.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:16 PM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Oh interesting. BM3 has a multi-map, but it's basically one stage, with different octanes. So if i couldn't get 93 octane, I could "on the fly" downgrade to the 91 octane map. Catch22 is 91 is very common, anything higher is not, so I just stick with a single stage 2 91 octane map.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 03:05 AM   #15
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
I think of setting my Tuning Stage to match my engine’s hardware upgrades. And the Multimap as variations on that best HW tune. So I use it like this:

Map slot 1: Stage 2, 91 oct, 100% power (Normal)
Map slot 2: Stage 2, 91 oct, 85% power (Snow)
Map slot 3: Stage 2, 91 oct, 60% power (Valet)
Map slot 4: Stage 2, 95 oct, 100% power (when I fill up for a fun weekend with Race gas)

If you typically run 93 or 95 oct, you could do the opposite to me in Slot 4, and use a slot for 91 in case you ever have to tank up with the lower stuff on a trip…

I’m not running E85 mixtures, and don’t tweak burbles, etc. on the other slots.
Hm. I guess your setup could be of some use to higher powered RWD vehicles.
XDrive on contrary is always in "Snow" mode, irrespective of the power, no point of any reduction We don't have valets in Europe, so that takes that one out too Fuel change is clearly one thing, if that is a somewhat regular event for some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Oh interesting. BM3 has a multi-map, but it's basically one stage, with different octanes. So if i couldn't get 93 octane, I could "on the fly" downgrade to the 91 octane map. Catch22 is 91 is very common, anything higher is not, so I just stick with a single stage 2 91 octane map.
Exactly the same with MHD. It looks like MG Flasher however have made provisions for different Stages within the slots. Maybe just a "stage-alike" table of the same map, I don't know.
      01-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #16
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

I've been waiting for map switching, but this is a little disappointing. I thought it would be any 4 OTS maps. I was planning on:
OEM+
Stage 1, 91 oct.
Stage 2, 91 oct.
Stage 2, 93 oct.

I guess now I'll just do:
Stage 2, 91 oct.
Stage 2, 93 oct.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      01-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #17
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I've been waiting for map switching, but this is a little disappointing. I thought it would be any 4 OTS maps. I was planning on:
OEM+
Stage 1, 91 oct.
Stage 2, 91 oct.
Stage 2, 93 oct.

I guess now I'll just do:
Stage 2, 91 oct.
Stage 2, 93 oct.
When I heard BM3 was doing multi-stage, your initial thoughts is exactly how I'd want my multi-stage to look like. Maybe pop a request into them and see if they will add one for that?
Appreciate 1
PeterWT253.50
      01-21-2022, 03:22 AM   #18
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i can install the multi map , but i change change any maps
it stays in slot 4 all the time , regardless how many times i press the lim button
      01-21-2022, 07:45 AM   #19
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

Try pressing LIM twice and while the car is stationary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_H_O_M_A_S View Post
i can install the multi map , but i change change any maps
it stays in slot 4 all the time , regardless how many times i press the lim button
      01-21-2022, 10:51 AM   #20
T_H_O_M_A_S
Second Lieutenant
Rep

not handy while driving ,

but according to mhd enthousiasts page op fb , there is a small bug with the lim button , it will be fixed in an upcomming version
      01-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #21
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

So, these are the Stage 2 slots I flashed today. The HP numbers are my guesstimates.
91oct, 100% (~400HP) (daily driver)
91oct, 65% (~260HP) (when I need to leave the car with someone else)
93oct, 100% (~450HP) (when I want max power)
93oct, 95% (~430HP) (not sure if I'll use this, but wanted to put something in this slot)
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors

Last edited by PeterWT; 01-21-2022 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 03:42 AM   #22
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

So, if you don't mind me asking, how often do you foresee changing between your Slot 1 and Slot 2 and between Slot 1 and Slot 3?

If I imagine a similar setup, in my case it would be:

Slot 1 to Slot 2 - unknown. Usually if I ever let someone else drive, it is to demonstrate capabilities, not disabilities. Maybe when dropping off for maintenance (which may however trigger a false response if someone thinks that something is not right with the car So let's say once every 2 years.

Slot 1 to Slot 3: I only get access to higher octane when going abroad. Prior to COVID that would be twice a year on average.

P.s. MHD Stage 2 93 with 450HP!?? Dude…. Wishful thinking