F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Buffing out scratches, expectations?
ARMA SPEED

01-20-2022, 10:04 PM   #1
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 30i G01 M-Sport

Buffing out scratches, expectations?

I made a huge mistake on not checking my clay mitt when cleaning my bonnet after the a good wash, only clayed the bonnet, and I scratched the thing out of it

I hand buffed the most I can and it wasn't too bad but I wasn't happy given that I could still see scratches. So I ended up investing in an orbital DA, pads and Menzerna polishes.

I started off with the medium cut pad and medium cut polish, I didn't see much differences. Then I went and did heavy cut pad (microfibre) and heavy cut compound, I did notice less scratches but I could still see a few.

I cured the mf pad with 5-6 drops, rubbed it in, and then another 5 drops for cutting. I run 4.5-5 on the DA and do 3 passes (1 down, 1 across and 1 down). I think I've put enough pressure (?) and I do go over it fairly slow.

Am I doing something wrong?

The damage

Hand buff

Heavy compound

I reduced the exposure on this photo (car sapphire grey)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:14 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

When I do a full correction I use Menzerna, Step 1, 2 and 3. With the Step 1 and Step 2 I use a rotary buffer, which works much faster than dual action. I use dual action with Step 3. The Menzerna site gives good advice on what to use and how to use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 03:38 PM   #3
ECTO1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31

Sounds like your doing it right. The thing is you will never get all the scratch out unless you spend hrs of time on it. My guess would be maybe try another polish pass see if it gets you anything. Todd over at essoterric always talks about diminishing returns or chasing. At some point trying to get to 100percent starts doing more damaged. Your first picture to your last looks 100 times better in my opinion. I say leave it with a little road dust nobody from 5 feet away will ever notice
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 06:01 AM   #4
JamBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
When I do a full correction I use Menzerna, Step 1, 2 and 3. With the Step 1 and Step 2 I use a rotary buffer, which works much faster than dual action. I use dual action with Step 3. The Menzerna site gives good advice on what to use and how to use it.
👍
Appreciate 0