F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Opinions on suspension set up
ARMA SPEED

03-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Opinions on suspension set up

Hi All,

Being doing a lot of research and looking to finalize and start buying for my suspension overhaul. I would welcome any inputs and most preferably first hand experience.

About the car:
2015 msport 6MT 335i. Already did F80 LCAs up front - they are awesome! Everything else is stock so far. I may go BM3 in the future, but power bump would be nominal as I would not go FBO or anything close.... just maybe a small boost in power.

About what I am looking for:
I am for sure far more tolerant of NVH than most. I am not worried about too firm of a ride. I am not looking to track the car but I want the best mountain road/canyon carving F30 that I can get. I would also like to keep the occasional track day as a future potential. I want to kill the body roll, vagueness, and squishiness. Turn in is already great due to the LCAs.

My plan:
I am going to drop in monoballs into the TSs upfront (looking at these from Turner: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/).

I have narrowed my shock/strut/coilover search to Billstein B14 or B16 or Mperformance suspension. I want to stay below $2K for parts and will do install myself. I will take recommendations on others. Adjustability is not critical to me as I will set it and forget it, however, I am scared of getting something that doesn't give me what I want - then the adjustability provides some flexiblity. This is also the main reason I am looking at m performance. I am figuring that they are design specifically for this car by BMW so they can't be a miss - may be faulty logic.

I am not planning to do sways. Bad experiences in the past with open diff and stiff rear sway and traction loss.

Anything else to consider?

I am thinking about rear subframe delrin bushings or powerflex inserts. Thoughts on if these are worth it? Dropping the rear subframe is something I am willing to do but I want some serious return on that investment! Any thoughts on how worth it this would be?

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Suspension upgrade projects provide the best return on investment in driving pleasure.

What is your suspension lower target?

Bilstein B16 PSS10 are on back order until May 2019. But these coilovers are worth waiting for.

Slightly bigger budget will accommodate Ohlins R&T coilovers. Search this forum for reviews and you will find many happy drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Suspension upgrade projects provide the best return on investment in driving pleasure.

What is your suspension lower target?

Bilstein B16 PSS10 are on back order until May 2019. But these coilovers are worth waiting for.

Slightly bigger budget will accommodate Ohlins R&T coilovers. Search this forum for reviews and you will find many happy drivers.
Thanks for the reply. I am not really interested in a drop. I am keen on improved driving Dynamics. Any thing at current mspory stock height or up to perhaps 15mm lower would be fine.

I have ready countless threads but everyone had their own aims (ride quality, drop, handling, etc) so reviews have been somewhat unhelpful. I am looking specifically for feedback on my plan or recommendations based on my stated aim for improved road holding performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

does anyone have a feel for the b14 vs b16? of the 10 settings of the b16where would the b14 fall?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I think your plan is fine. B16 PSS10 will however lower the suspension. If you prefer to maintain OEM suspension height, KW Street Comfort coilovers represent another alternative.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Stock ride height: Bilstein B6

Lowered ride height: Bilstein B8
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
Hi All,

Being doing a lot of research and looking to finalize and start buying for my suspension overhaul. I would welcome any inputs and most preferably first hand experience.

About the car:
2015 msport 6MT 335i. Already did F80 LCAs up front - they are awesome! Everything else is stock so far. I may go BM3 in the future, but power bump would be nominal as I would not go FBO or anything close.... just maybe a small boost in power.

I am for sure far more tolerant of NVH than most. I am not worried about too firm of a ride. I am not looking to track the car but I want the best mountain road/canyon carving F30 that I can get. I would also like to keep the occasional track day as a future potential. I want to kill the body roll, vagueness, and squishiness. Turn in is already great due to the LCAs.

My plan:
I am going to drop in monoballs into the TSs upfront (looking at these from Turner: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...oball-upgrade/).

I have narrowed my shock/strut/coilover search to Billstein B14 or B16 or Mperformance suspension. I want to stay below $2K for parts and will do install myself. I will take recommendations on others. Adjustability is not critical to me as I will set it and forget it, however, I am scared of getting something that doesn't give me what I want - then the adjustability provides some flexiblity. This is also the main reason I am looking at m performance. I am figuring that they are design specifically for this car by BMW so they can't be a miss - may be faulty logic.

I am not planning to do sways. Bad experiences in the past with open diff and stiff rear sway and traction loss.

I am thinking about rear subframe delrin bushings or powerflex inserts. Thoughts on if these are worth it? Dropping the rear subframe is something I am willing to do but I want some serious return on that investment! Any thoughts on how worth it this would be?

Thanks for the input!
I did the Powerflex rear subframe bushing inserts, I installed them along with coilovers and swaybars so I can't comment on just the inserts but I would not hesitate to install them again. If you have a lift they are pretty easy to install.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 02:24 AM   #8
alexng72
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i Black Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zole2112 View Post
Quote:
Hi All,

About the car:

My plan:

Thanks for the input!
I did the Powerflex rear subframe bushing inserts, I installed them along with coilovers and swaybars so I can't comment on just the inserts but I would not hesitate to install them again. If you have a lift they are pretty easy to install.
Do you need any special tool to drop the rear subframe? I'm thinking of getting bushings and a rear sway bar.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #9
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I run Ohlins kit. I really enjoy them. I have about 3 track days with them and they work very well. Even better on the street due to the Dual Flow Valve. It sticks to the pavement.

I ran BC Racing before and the Ohlins is quite the jump... the camber plates probably helped the Ohlins case though haha.
      03-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #10
mkwy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

How much does the B8 lower the car by?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

How much does the B8 lower the car by?
Ultimately... it will depend on the spring choice.

I chose ACS because I wanted a modest drop. Im perfectly happy with stance and wheel gap. Could be tighter, for sure... but then again, I have absolutely never bottomed out or scraped anywhere/anything.

Knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' F30 335i

Greetings.. so I just did the B14s .. found set in stock and pulled the trigger,, the b16s are on back order till sometime in May . the biggest difference obviously between the price is the adjustment ability of dampening .. my three day impression .. I had just switched to non run flats and was amazed at how smooth and soft the car was with stock m sport suspension.. with the B14 and pretty much lowered as far as they'll go .. it does have a firm ride.. id say its not jarring.. rather feels firm and solid with absorbing bumps .. you'll feel them but its a firm ride not a sharp bang at all.. That's said I've also ridden in a Ohlin's car, probably a little more compliant ride over the b14 but your talking triple the price.. I also did the oem suspension kit from Turner, all new hats, mounts, nuts, bolts etc..

I am trying to get more camber in the front .. was only able to about -1 and wanted -2.5 or -3 up front .. currently I'm ordering a set of the KMAC lower control arm adj bushings to see what it does.. before going with camber plats.. most likely from Apex..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexng72 View Post
Do you need any special tool to drop the rear subframe? I'm thinking of getting bushings and a rear sway bar.
nothing special. a lift is nice though, I wouldn't want to do it in my garage.
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAF30 View Post
Greetings.. so I just did the B14s .. found set in stock and pulled the trigger,, the b16s are on back order till sometime in May . the biggest difference obviously between the price is the adjustment ability of dampening .. my three day impression .. I had just switched to non run flats and was amazed at how smooth and soft the car was with stock m sport suspension.. with the B14 and pretty much lowered as far as they'll go .. it does have a firm ride.. id say its not jarring.. rather feels firm and solid with absorbing bumps .. you'll feel them but its a firm ride not a sharp bang at all.. That's said I've also ridden in a Ohlin's car, probably a little more compliant ride over the b14 but your talking triple the price.. I also did the oem suspension kit from Turner, all new hats, mounts, nuts, bolts etc..

I am trying to get more camber in the front .. was only able to about -1 and wanted -2.5 or -3 up front .. currently I'm ordering a set of the KMAC lower control arm adj bushings to see what it does.. before going with camber plats.. most likely from Apex..
VAF - you are who I want to hear from!!

I was concerned that the b14s would be too soft. seems like that is not the case. are they noticeable less bouncy and with less body roll than stock msport suspension? the reason I would consider b16 is that I am concerned b14 wouldnt be aggressive enough but I wouldn't have any adjustability of damping.

did you consider mperformance suspension? if you are buying the Turner kit (which I think is a great idea) you would be pretty much in the same price range since mperformance suspension kit includes those bits I believe.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #15
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep

I looked at the options.. I think part of my choice was a personal decision that I like the lowered look too... functionality aside .. that comes from sitting the car down.. is it practical.. probably not for some .. but for me its what I wanted.. I would say I have heard good things about the mperformance -- my car came with the m sport 704. and it rolled in the corners like a trawler.. with the Bilstein's not only did I get the drop I wanted but the car is literarily on rails now.. and the main reason I want some more camber is I like a very neutral balanced car vs the oversteer.. and yea this is my 5th bmw… but hanging the rear out is how I like to drive.. and steering with the throttle gets to be fun in the right conditions.. and I hate wheel gap.. its a personal issue... as far as the b14's being too timid.. or soft.. no sir.. they are actually much firmer than I was expecting.. and in all the reviews of the Bilstein's 14 or 16,, I don't think I've ever seen a bad review... I am low.. I will probably consider ditching my front lip for practicality reasons.. and its only there for looks anyway.. but I am very confident with the firmness.. no body roll .. and rebound I'm getting off the 14's is there and working .. not soft.. not jar your fillings out.. but firm enough that you know your in a car with coil overs. guess that's the best way I can describe it... yea, I hadn't planned on the cost of the camber bushings.. but always figured id run camber plates anyway.. just seeing if I can get around it.. one more thing to complicate the setup.. lol ! Im not sold on the F80 control arm swap.. lots of mixed reviews.. like to find someone actually running and go for a ride.. but who knows.. maybe.. what else can I tell ya?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
VAF30
Private
United_States
Rep

One more thing to add.. in fact .. the car is so much firmer now.. and remember I did Delrin solid bushings and control and toe arms in the back.. that I've pretty much got myself into a space where I need to go ahead and the LSD .. now when cornering hard and fast you can feel the power shifting to the unloaded wheel.. makes it much more slippery back there.. and LSD will cure that.. ill probably go with a wavetrac .. from diffs online
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #17
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One more thing to add.. in fact .. the car is so much firmer now.. and remember I did Delrin solid bushings and control and toe arms in the back.. that I've pretty much got myself into a space where I need to go ahead and the LSD .. now when cornering hard and fast you can feel the power shifting to the unloaded wheel.. makes it much more slippery back there.. and LSD will cure that.. ill probably go with a wavetrac .. from diffs online
well perhaps I can help you too.

it sounds to me like we have very similar driving styles and desires. I have the msport 704. I did the F80 LCA swap and I am absolutely thrilled with it. it singled handedly eliminated the understeer and the car is totally neutral now. other than that I am stock right now.

it does push the wheel forward a little bit so you need to be real careful with your drop or you may rub. I would plan to run the b14s as high as they will go near stock msport height.

thanks for your help. b14s it is!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #18
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
well perhaps I can help you too.

it sounds to me like we have very similar driving styles and desires. I have the msport 704. I did the F80 LCA swap and I am absolutely thrilled with it. it singled handedly eliminated the understeer and the car is totally neutral now. other than that I am stock right now.

it does push the wheel forward a little bit so you need to be real careful with your drop or you may rub. I would plan to run the b14s as high as they will go near stock msport height.

thanks for your help. b14s it is!!
oh and it got me to -1.6 camber at stock ride height. I was 0.6 before.

far more durable and beneficial than camber bushings for sure. I wouldn't recommend them. you do the swivel bearings and get 0.5 additional. I may do that some day.
Appreciate 0