F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VRSF F Chassis N55 Turbo Outlet Charge Pipe Upgrade Kit Now Available
GetBMWParts

09-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Curious what labor estimates you guys have gotten to replace your N55 TIC pipe?

I considered upgrading my TIC Pipe (turbo to intercooler) also. But the labor cost far outweighed the perceived benefits. My installer estimated over 3 times the labor for the TIC pipe than he did to replace the charge pipe. Maybe it has to do with my particular configuration of 2015 335i x-drive automatic?
The TIC, in general, is much easier to change out than the chargepipe, especially with xDrive and 8AT. Depending on the brand used will depend on how much easier as the coupler location varies (in the middle or at the intercooler end). You do have to drop the intercooler to do this but otherwise the pipe slides out once the c-clip is removed at the turbo and the replacement just needs to be properly aligned to reconnect back to the intercooler. Should take all of an hour or so from start to finish (including the belly pan work) unless there is extra work to remove the intercooler due to how it's installed, such as bumper removal.

What ever happened to the VRSF pictures of this new TIC? Most manufacturers love to show off their new products...it's very odd that you all (VRSF and XPH) have been silent regarding request for pictures
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #24
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rphz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Curious what labor estimates you guys have gotten to replace your N55 TIC pipe?

I considered upgrading my TIC Pipe (turbo to intercooler) also. But the labor cost far outweighed the perceived benefits. My installer estimated over 3 times the labor for the TIC pipe than he did to replace the charge pipe. Maybe it has to do with my particular configuration of 2015 335i x-drive automatic?
The TIC, in general, is much easier to change out than the chargepipe, especially with xDrive and 8AT. Depending on the brand used will depend on how much easier as the coupler location varies (in the middle or at the intercooler end). You do have to drop the intercooler to do this but otherwise the pipe slides out once the c-clip is removed at the turbo and the replacement just needs to be properly aligned to reconnect back to the intercooler. Should take all of an hour or so from start to finish (including the belly pan work) unless there is extra work to remove the intercooler due to how it's installed, such as bumper removal.

What ever happened to the VRSF pictures of this new TIC? Most manufacturers love to show off their new products...it's very odd that you all (VRSF and XPH) have been silent regarding request for pictures
It's on the vrsf website
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #25
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertodd88 View Post
It's on the vrsf website
Seems the picture is only showing some of the TIC (and isn't this the E-Series version). What's the other end and the coupler look like?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #26
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmertodd88 View Post
It's on the vrsf website
Seems the picture is only showing some of the TIC (and isn't this the E-Series version). What's the other end and the coupler look like?
You know I wondered the same thing. Thought I was tripping
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #27
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
We're working on getting the new pro shots up ASAP. We tend to get the products in and up on the website before we get our hands on a professional shot on the site
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:33 AM   #28
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Considering VRSF's fitment issues with their "new and improved' 5" street FMIC, I'm not sure I would trust a product from this company that doesn't even have product photos yet.

Also, the only reason to upgrade this part is for aesthetics. It will provide no performance benefit and it has no history of failing.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      09-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #29
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Considering VRSF's fitment issues with their "new and improved' 5" street FMIC, I'm not sure I would trust a product from this company that doesn't even have product photos yet.

Also, the only reason to upgrade this part is for aesthetics. It will provide no performance benefit and it has no history of failing.
The radiator tab fitment issue was actually limited to less than a couple dozen kits and each one has been offered a replacement

All new VRSF intercoolers have the shroud brackets corrected and they also include a free upgrade to our HD fin pack as well.

There are numerous examples of the OEM pipe failing on modified cars and the increased diameter does increase flow. Pics are coming shortly.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 09-19-2018 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #30
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
There aren’t any fitment issues with any new 5” models. We had a small batch with a minimal fan shroud bracket issue which has been fully resolved. All new VRSF intercoolers have the shroud brackets corrected. These now include an HD fin pack upgrade as well. We guarantee it will outperform anything in its size range.

There are numerous examples of the OEM pipe failing on modified cars and the increased diameter does increase flow. Pics are coming shortly.
Respectfully, people have been reporting the fan shroud issue since last year and I ordered one that was drop shipped directly from VRSF 6-7 weeks ago with the same issue.

Doesn't sound like a "small batch" to me. Even if they were a small batch, at the very least you are guilty of not fixing the issue before sending the FMICs out to your customers as you must have known about the issue for at least a year. How you didn't even catch it during testing is shocking to me.

The fact that you fixed the issue means nothing since the majority of your customers do NOT have the fix.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1388761
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1530121

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=21
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=15

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 09-18-2018 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      09-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #31
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Respectfully, people have been reporting the fan shroud issue since last year and I ordered one that was drop shipped directly from VRSF 6-7 weeks ago with the same issue.

Doesn't sound like a "small batch" to me. Even if they were a small batch, at the very least you are guilty of not fixing the issue before sending the FMICs out to your customers as you must have known about the issue for at least a year. How you didn't even catch it during testing is shocking to me.

The fact that you fixed the issue means nothing since the majority of your customers do NOT have the fix.
I apologize greatly for the inconvenience, please PM over your order number and I'll be more than happy to personally ensure your existing existing unit is replaced.

To be clear, we had a small issue with less than a coupe dozen intercoolers where the fan shroud brackets were machined incorrectly. The other few hundred customers seem to be happy with their intercoolers and our website has quite a few independent, user backed reviews in case you're interested in unbiased opinions.

While fan shroud bracket issue was limited to a very small batch, please note that all new VRSF F30 FMICs now feature the HD fin pack at no additional cost as well as the corrected fan shroud brackets.

We take customer service very seriously, if there's anything we can do to help please let us know.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 09-19-2018 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #32
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm sorry about the inconvenience, just PM us, shoot over your order number and we'll get your existing unit replaced!
I appreciate the offer, but I already ground the tabs off and installed it. It seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to re-install.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #33
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is the VRSF outlet 2.5 inches like the evoulution racewerks?
I notice the website doesn't say
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #34
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They are 2.5".
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #35
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Quote:

I apologize greatly for the inconvenience, please PM over your order number and I'll be more than happy to personally ensure your existing existing unit is replaced.

To be clear, we had a small issue with less than a coupe dozen intercoolers where the fan shroud brackets were machined incorrectly. The other few hundred customers seem to be happy with their intercoolers and our website has quite a few independent, user backed reviews in case you're interested in unbiased opinions.

While fan shroud bracket issue was limited to a very small batch, please note that all new VRSF F30 FMICs now feature the HD fin pack at no additional cost as well as the corrected fan shroud brackets.

We take customer service very seriously, if there's anything we can do to help please let us know.
I'll take a free replacement with the upgraded fin pack as well then if that's the case
      09-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #36
Bimmertodd88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are 2.5".
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #37
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I didn't notice you edited your post. Can you please explain to me how if only a "couple dozen" FMICs were affected, how I got a bad one in late July of 2018 drop shipped directly from you guys? Did you send me old stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #38
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
I'll take a free replacement with the upgraded fin pack as well then if that's the case
Shoot us an e-mail and we'll be happy to help!

Quote:
I didn't notice you edited your post. Can you please explain to me how if only a "couple dozen" FMICs were affected, how I got a bad one in late July of 2018 drop shipped directly from you guys? Did you send me old stock?
Our stock is mixed and since this incident was isolated to a small batch there is a chance you received an older item. I'd be more than happy to help if you contact us directly with an order number.
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #39
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

I had to unbolt the water pump and slide it out of the way in order to reach the turbo side clip on my 335 MT6. I already had the bumper and FMIC out, so that side was easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:29 PM   #40
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
I had to unbolt the water pump and slide it out of the way in order to reach the turbo side clip on my 335 MT6. I already had the bumper and FMIC out, so that side was easy.
Interesting...maybe some of them have the clip buried out of view and I was just fortunate. I could see the clip from directly above it looking through a very small space. I have a 6" long pick tool and so just got my hand in there and hooked it in and pulled real hard. And to clarify, I did not mess with the plastic and push it up and away from the end of the TIC as the center of the clip can be pulled out with force. Too late now, but wondering if you could have just twisted and rotated the TIC in place since it's flexible rubber until the clip was accessible from above?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #41
lkstaack
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Interesting...maybe some of them have the clip buried out of view and I was just fortunate. I could see the clip from directly above it looking through a very small space. I have a 6" long pick tool and so just got my hand in there and hooked it in and pulled real hard. And to clarify, I did not mess with the plastic and push it up and away from the end of the TIC as the center of the clip can be pulled out with force. Too late now, but wondering if you could have just twisted and rotated the TIC in place since it's flexible rubber until the clip was accessible from above?
I may have been able to rotate the pipe after removing the FMIC, but it didn't occur to me to try. Although I purchased a TIC, I decided not to install it after I removed the FMIC because I didn't see any way to release the turbo side clip. Then, after the valve cover to air cleaner tube crumbled, I had to move the water pump out of the way to replace it. After I moved the water pump, I realized I could access the clip and then I replaced the TIC.
Appreciate 0