F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Concept vs Spyshot
Extreme Powerhouse

12-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
spiike32
Major
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F80 M3

Concept vs Spyshot

Like many I am excited for the 4 series. However which is more realistic the spyshot from before or the latest concept? I feel like BMW is trying to divert our attention away from the spyshot with this killer concept. The side vent in the concept looks much more intentional than the spyshot and I wonder if the wheel gap will be the same in production.

Can you spot any more differences?

Current: Tesla Model 3 Performance Retired: F80 M3, FBO 335i, 318ti, C7 Stingray
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
Good post; I've been thinking about the same thing.

I would guess that both are accurate. Whilst the concept's bumper covers are a bit overdone, the spy shot's rear bumper seems to have gone too far in the other direction and look somewhat pedestrian (front is hard to see because of the cover). The "bimmerang" looks much better on the concept and tacked-on in the spy shot.

The concept's photos, lighting, and angles were clearly done to bring out the best in the car. The spy pics suffer because of the light body color and the camouflage hides great features like the aggressive haunches and front end. The production doors and mirrors are fine, and I'm hopeful the concept's light surrounds make it to the final car. The M-sport 19's look fine and IMO, are already pushing the trade off between aesthetics and unsprung weight.

Ultimately, I think the production version will be a beautiful car that just might require some careful optioning to bring it close to the stunner that is the concept.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

Don't forget as well that there will be multiple "line" versions of the front and rear fascia and assorted trim bits. The spyshot appears to be a sport line, whereas the concept appears to be a concept for the "BMW Individual" program.

Mirrors and door handles, well we'll have to wait and see what actual production ones look like, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more toward that of the test mule.

[edit added the following]

The boomerangs also may have different finishes per line, like the sport line may get the gloss black to match the door trim, the luxury may get chrome, and the modern and individual may get a brushed aluminium look. Pure speculation on my part...

Last edited by S-Dot; 12-10-2012 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: addendum
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: F30 335i Soon: AMG

Nice write up. It's almost certain that the front and rear bumper will be different and I'm not surprise by the taming down of the vent. As for the sides, I imagine the M sport sides will look closer to the concept while the normal one will be more plain. Overall the spy shot does look pretty identical to it. With the flurries of aftermarket part that will be available, I'm confident that the slightly modded production model look as good if not better than the concept.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
The production model will surely look more like the spy shot than the concept. Concept cars always go to the extreme with the styling and then they get watered down for mass appeal and cost savings (mirrors/door handles shared parts, etc).

That said the concept is really stunning aside from the rear bumper / integrated exhaust which I personally don't like the look of. The headlights and DRLs are pure sex though!
      12-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
possibly some upcoming m3 highlights

Appreciate 0