F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Washer Fluid
ARMA SPEED

12-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #23
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's not on the label, but it is in the safety data sheets, polydimethylsiloxane to be precise. It's a silcone based water repellent, which causes water to bead and flow off the windshield. It also creates an insulation barrier on the electrodes that measure the fluid level, eventually preventing any reading.

There's nothing special about the BMW fluid. When you use undiluted concentrate the readings are off because the measuring tool is calibrated to work with the specific gravity of a concentrate-water mix, not pure concentrate.
Good one.

I actually went to the Rain-X site and searched for the MSDS. I must have missed it, or couldn't find it.

https://www.rainx.com/safety-data-sheets/

I guess to me, it was odd to put a warning about "readings" in the owners manual. I reckon in some parts of the world, and some parts of the country, people actually check the specific gravity of their washer fluid.

Me, I just dump it in and pump it out. Now I have to be more careful.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #24
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
For 55 years I’ve looked for fluid that was good to -20 or more. That was the only criteria. Who knew 22 posts on windshield washer fluid.
Who knew so many warnings and cautions in the owners manual about adding the simple junk to our modern BMW's?

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #25
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

When the problem with Rain-X became known a few years back there were a few threads about it. One shyster law office tried filing a class action lawsuit against BMW, saying that the BMW washer system was defective because of the problem. AFAIK that went nowhere, because it was soon after revealed that Volkswagen, Audi, Mini Cooper, Mercedes Benz, Chrysler and others all had the same problem.

Another outfit, Dewey, Cheatham and Howe as I recall, went after Rain-X, because the company allegedly led consumers to believe its products were suitable for use in all vehicles when they weren't. That doesn't seem to have gone far either. You'd think that Rain-X would have put on their labels not to use it in the brands listed, but then that would have implied that they were negligent for not doing so years earlier.
Appreciate 0