F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Delivery times for a 2019 BMW 440i xDrive Gran Coupe
GetBMWParts

06-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
z24b
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Cool Delivery times for a 2019 BMW 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

It's good to be back in a BMW after a lengthy absence.
In April I ordered a 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe in Estoril Blue with an Oyster White interior. This was my first custom order and I thought I would share my experience with anyone who is going through it for the first time. Anyone who has gone through a custom order knows the waiting for any news on the cars progress and pending delivery date is an agonizing experience.

Here are the dates and timelines for my order. Please be aware this is for a Canadian order, so times could vary for other locations.
TIMELINES
April 7, 2018 - Ordered the car.
April 12, 2018 - April production date confirmed.
April 26, 2018 - Car was born in Germany.
April 28, 2018 - VIN Number Received.
In early May, the car was shipped from Germany aboard the Elektra.
May 23, 2018 - Car arrived in Halifax, Canada.
HUGE FREAKING DELAY BETWEEN HALIFAX AND CONCORD. Blamed on the lack of rail cars to transport the cars. Issue is still ongoing.
June 14, 2018 - Car finally arrived in Concord, Ontario.
June 18, 2018 - Received an email informing me that the car had arrived at the dealership.
June 21, 2018 - Took delivery of the car.
So roughly 11 weeks from ordering to delivery.

The weather in this area has been crappy, so I have not had the heart to take her out and get her dirty. :-) Things are looking good for this weekend though.

Cheers Shane
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
flexinator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
got some pics of the interior? I'm thinking of ordering an alpine white with oyster white interior...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #3
z24b
Rep

Garage List
Quick pick of my 2019 440i with Oyster White Interior

Quality of the picture is not that good, more to come.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
That's a serious delay. Built to order usually takes 1.5 months (add an additional week for delays that may occur) but to wait 11 weeks is ridiculously wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexinator View Post
got some pics of the interior? I'm thinking of ordering an alpine white with oyster white interior...
A lot of people rarely pull such combination, usually go for a dark exterior/light interior or light exterior/dark interior but a dealership had a 430i demo with white on white and it looked surprisingly great with a wood trim.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
z24b
Rep

Garage List
Excessive delay in delivery.

Yeah 11 weeks is excessive, but there is nothing anyone can do about it. Its all because CN Rail is inadequately prepared to handle the amount of cars arriving at the Port of Halifax. From what I have read and been told, its affecting a large number of manufactures, not only BMW and tis is not the first time this has happened.

As for the Oyster interior, I think it looks wicked. I agree its a unique combo, but I like it, I first saw it on Tesla and it sold me. I had black on black in my earlier 335i and in the summer it used to bake my chestnuts. I had to carry a towel with me to sit on as it was so hot.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Rare and beautiful color combination. Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
oxigen
Hungary
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport 8AT Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by z24b View Post
Yeah 11 weeks is excessive, but there is nothing anyone can do about it. Its all because CN Rail is inadequately prepared to handle the amount of cars arriving at the Port of Halifax. From what I have read and been told, its affecting a large number of manufactures, not only BMW and tis is not the first time this has happened.

As for the Oyster interior, I think it looks wicked. I agree its a unique combo, but I like it, I first saw it on Tesla and it sold me. I had black on black in my earlier 335i and in the summer it used to bake my chestnuts. I had to carry a towel with me to sit on as it was so hot.
I ordered my 340i Touring (EU) on 28 May and now I have an estimated prod. date of 26, August. That is 13 weeks and I am in Europe, no need for shipping that far. WTF is going on? Fully loaded but no individual options though.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #8
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxigen View Post
I ordered my 340i Touring (EU) on 28 May and now I have an estimated prod. date of 26, August. That is 13 weeks and I am in Europe, no need for shipping that far. WTF is going on? Fully loaded but no individual options though.
Your order date has nothing to do with the actual production date. Without the detail of your deal, it looks like your dealership sold you an allocation and it just so happens to be the one that is being built in August. This could easily be a result of your dealership not having any allocations (all sold?) in June and/or July. Your order date in May does not mean that it took two/three months for it to be prepared and manufactured just in case you thought that was happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 12:48 AM   #9
Sean750
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 420iA High Exec M Sport Editon

You ain't see nothing yet. My 4 ordered at the end of March 2018, still awaiting delivery..estimated delivery is 3th week of July, so basically almost 4 months. I can assure you, agonizing doesn't even come close to describe the waiting process...

I must admit, I ordered an Individual color, but on the contrary we are practically neighbours of Germany (where it is produced) here so shipping time isn't a big issue at all.

If I knew this before I would have bought something else.
      07-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #10
oxigen
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Your order date has nothing to do with the actual production date. Without the detail of your deal, it looks like your dealership sold you an allocation and it just so happens to be the one that is being built in August. This could easily be a result of your dealership not having any allocations (all sold?) in June and/or July. Your order date in May does not mean that it took two/three months for it to be prepared and manufactured just in case you thought that was happening.
If that's true I should be warned/told by the sales rep when I ordered since he must have known when they have allocations, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean750 View Post
You ain't see nothing yet. My 4 ordered at the end of March 2018, still awaiting delivery..estimated delivery is 3th week of July, so basically almost 4 months. I can assure you, agonizing doesn't even come close to describe the waiting process...

I must admit, I ordered an Individual color, but on the contrary we are practically neighbours of Germany (where it is produced) here so shipping time isn't a big issue at all.

If I knew this before I would have bought something else.
4 months??? That's insane. Did the sales rep told you anything upon ordering when can you expect your car to be delivered? Or he was just saying he doesn't know and the production depends on the factory?

I got to the point if I would knew this I would have bought an already built new piece from stock in Germany...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #11
Sean750
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 420iA High Exec M Sport Editon

Quote:
4 months??? That's insane. Did the sales rep told you anything upon ordering when can you expect your car to be delivered? Or he was just saying he doesn't know and the production depends on the factory?

I got to the point if I would knew this I would have bought an already built new piece from stock in Germany...
The sales rep told us initially, when I signed, that delivery would be around end of May. It was estimated because his computer system was down at the moment. Later on, it became June because of the individual color (all individual build slots for May where already taken). Unfortunately, no 420i/430i was build in June because the factory line was adapted for fitting the OPF (Ottomotor Partikel Filter) on petrol engines. Long story short....it's July and I still don't have a car, only a VIN number

New piece of stock wasn't an option...I made a very specific choice in exterior color, upholstery,trims and options.
      07-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
oxigen
Hungary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean750 View Post
The sales rep told us initially, when I signed, that delivery would be around end of May. It was estimated because his computer system was down at the moment. Later on, it became June because of the individual color (all individual build slots for May where already taken). Unfortunately, no 420i/430i was build in June because the factory line was adapted for fitting the OPF (Ottomotor Partikel Filter) on petrol engines. Long story short....it's July and I still don't have a car, only a VIN number

New piece of stock wasn't an option...I made a very specific choice in exterior color, upholstery,trims and options.
I made very specific choices regarding color/upholstery etc too so of course the custom built car is much more like an option but waiting 3 months is just ridiculous. Can you track your production somehow?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #13
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Gorgeous interior. My car has been in Halifax since last Monday..fingers crossed it gets on the train soon.

Check out my European Delivery Journal!
European Delivery June 2018 – Germany / Austria / Italy / Switzerland
2018 340i xDrive / Alpine White / Coral Red / 704M / MPPSK / Gloss Black Kidney Grille
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 04:45 AM   #14
z24b
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Gorgeous interior. My car has been in Halifax since last Monday..fingers crossed it gets on the train soon.
Thank you, I hope you have received it or it's very close. Post some pictures when you do.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:52 PM   #15
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
If that's true I should be warned/told by the sales rep when I ordered since he must have known when they have allocations, right?

Only if you asked specifically "what is my production number / when can I have my production number". If you dont specifically ask for it, they can move you to "later" if they want (say someone with a better profit deal comes up), etc.

Not saying there was anything shady going on, but if you didnt ask about the production number, they didnt need to tell you, and it gives them more flexibility to move you around, etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #16
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Only if you asked specifically "what is my production number / when can I have my production number". If you dont specifically ask for it, they can move you to "later" if they want (say someone with a better profit deal comes up), etc.

Not saying there was anything shady going on, but if you didnt ask about the production number, they didnt need to tell you, and it gives them more flexibility to move you around, etc.
This probably happened but that's very shoddy work unless the dealership already had other buyers for earlier allocations. Dealership does not gain anything unless the vehicle gets delivered so it would not make sense for the dealership to delay a potential sale/delivery hoping that someone will come with a better offer.
Appreciate 0