F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Beige Alcantara Modern line steering wheel
Studio RSR

09-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
thepsihopaats
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 335i Modern line

Beige Alcantara Modern line steering wheel

Hey guys,

I've got a 2012 335i Modern line with the all beige interior. My steering wheel has acquired a fair bit of tear and wear so I was thinking of wrapping it in alcantara for the time being instead of buying the m-sport steering wheel for now.

Since the whole steering wheel is in beige, any pictures to who has done this in either a beige alcantara or black/grey one? I would like to see some results as I couldn't find much on google.

Thanks!
K
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Our google skills probably aren't much better than yours, but I'm sure you found much info on how short-lived Alcantara is on a steering wheel. It requires much more work to keep it looking as good as leather, although the initial look & feel are great.

I have an E46 ZHP that came with the BMW replacement perforated leather wheel - BMW was replacing too many of the original Alcantara wheels under warranty.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Our google skills probably aren't much better than yours, but I'm sure you found much info on how short-lived Alcantara is on a steering wheel. It requires much more work to keep it looking as good as leather, although the initial look & feel are great.

I have an E46 ZHP that came with the BMW replacement perforated leather wheel - BMW was replacing too many of the original Alcantara wheels under warranty.
Agree with this caution, and would never, ever consider a light color such as beige for Alcantara considering the effect of oils from your skin on this synthetic fabric.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post

Agree with this caution, and would never, ever consider a light color such as beige for Alcantara considering the effect of oils from your skin on this synthetic fabric.
+1

I don't think I've ever seen a light colored alcantara application in something as "high traffic" as a steering wheel. My guess is that it would get grimy within weeks and keeping it clean would end up being a PITA.

Addendum:
The wear and tear on your wheel, is it actually worn leather or is it just a buildup of dirt, oil and grime? Check out some vids on how to clean/restore a steering wheel. Might help bring it back to life.
      09-30-2018, 11:45 PM   #5
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you're going to do Alcantara, definitely go black. I have the M performance Alcantara wheel and it requires a lot more maintenance than the Nappa leather wheel or the cheaper leather wheels.

That said, it can last a long time, you just have to give it frequent cleanings. Most people don't realize that when it's all shiny and matted down, there is just a bunch of gunk stuck in the fibers and a nice cleaning will get it looking new again.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #6
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Could I suggest the F20 M Performance wheel, same airbag is used and it’s a simple swap.
Appreciate 0