F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: Morimoto Projectors & Custom Angel Eyes Retrofit
ARMA SPEED

06-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #375
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

i don't know about the F34... but the f30 uses H7 bulbs
i'd double check the bulb type for your car

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 04:11 AM   #376
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Hi bienarcis: are you by any Chance still doing the Acrylics ?
If yes that would be awesome for many DIY Enthusiasists as it is more practical and works out cheap.

Iwould be more than Happy to hear yes from you.

Thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #377
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post

Hi Squidlyboy: can i use this Part with any ATX power Supply to power up the Quad Xenons for Testing purpose ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-P...757e4a82akWTip
Because from the DIY guide for Power Source it Looks too much complicated . i think i dont have that much of electrical knowledge.
Any Advices for this Shortcut ?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #378
gregtaylor16
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

Hi guys,

I just finished with my retrofit, and it is amazing. Look like a new car. Beautiful.

But I have a problem, not big, but worth to solve it:
When I turn on lights sometimes (50% of cases) one of the xenon bulb doesn't turn on (always drivers side one which doesn't turns on). After switch if it off and on make it work, but sometimes I have to disconnect the relay's power cable.

After doing something always works so parts are OK, I tried switch the sides with bulb, ballast and relay but same.

UPDATE: when I wait 1 minute after turning on car 90% of cases both bulb works, but there was one time which I had the same problem.

If anybody knows a solution I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #379
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikmuny View Post
Hi Squidlyboy: can i use this Part with any ATX power Supply to power up the Quad Xenons for Testing purpose ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/24-P...757e4a82akWTip
Because from the DIY guide for Power Source it Looks too much complicated . i think i dont have that much of electrical knowledge.
Any Advices for this Shortcut ?
That prob won't work. The fuses for the board are only 5A - worst case, they will probably blow when your headlights ignite, but most prob headlights won't turn on as it will require a lot more current than this board is able to provide
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #380
stiffler style
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i 6spd

This thread has been an extremely informative read and it seems to be an appropriate place to ask a few retrofitting questions of my own. Let me know if you think I should just create my own thread.

I've got a 2012 F30 328i that came stock with halogens. The PO installed Ebay Depo (I think) headlights to acquire the angel eye look. The angel eyes are decent but the low beam projectors are awful. I might be over exaggerating but they barely put out more light than just the fog lights/angel eyes. I've got about 10 feet in front of the car that is lit up and it is just dangerous at this point.

What do y'all think my options are with these headlights with projector lens already installed? They sit nice and flush with the angel eyes already. Do you think I would need to replace the lens, bulbs, ballasts, etc. or will these lens work with the rest of a projector retrofit? Is it possible these headlights have halogen bulbs with projector lens?

The car is a daily driver and thus hard to find enough down time to take the headlights out and really find out what I am working with (until I get some free time a month from now).

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZT8AA...~t/s-l1600.jpg
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KVwAA...ot/s-l1600.jpg

Last edited by stiffler style; 01-01-2019 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #381
Allstars_f10
Rep
Drives: Bmw F10 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Disclaimer: What you do with this information is up to you. I am in no way responsible for what happens to your headlights or car. This is the way i plan on hooking up my lights, but it doesn't mean you should also. Check the information and verify it to your satisfaction before wiring up anything

Here is the Wiring Diagram for retrofitting a single BMW F30 halogen headlight for two Mini-H1 projectors / 35w Ballasts + 2 DTM-style Corona LED rings. You will be duplicating this for both headlights, so it will result in a quad bi-xenon setup. All the OEM bulbs will be removed with the exception of the turn-signal/side marker bulb. This means low-beam, high-beam, DRL, and parking lamp bulbs - all gone.

The two pics below are of the headlight connector going into the passenger (right) side headlight. The notes below are for a single headlight. But you'll be wiring both headlights the same way. The wiring and connections should be done in the housing as much as possible to provide the cleanest looking solution as possible. Depending on what ballasts you use (slim-line or otherwise), you may or may not be able to stick those inside the headlight housing.
  1. Both DTM Acrylic LED rings red (power) wires will be connected to the DRL(#5) and parking lamp(#12) power wires together
    • The new DTM rings will be on during the day (when OEM DRL is on), and also at night (when OEM parking lamp is on). But the DRL and Parking Lamps are never on at the same time. One will be on when the other is off and vice versa. When one is powered, the other is an open-circuit (dead wire).
    • The current draw on both DTM LED rings (as I measured it with a clamp meter) is ~0.33A, which is about 4W (12V x 0.33A). The Parking Lamp power lead (6W), which is the lower rated of the two, should be able to power both LED rings at the same time together safely.
    • You should do your own current draw/usage measurement on your own setup to make sure, especially if you are using different LEDs.
    • Bienarcis and Blueaudi18 both wired their DTM rings like this.
  2. A standard Bi-Xenon projector setup (one projector in each headlight) should have the ballast power(red) wire hooked up to the Low-Beam (#3) wire and the ballast ground (black) wire hooked up to the Ground wire (#2)
    • The current draw from a single (as i measured one of my) 35W ballast unit peaks at startup around ~6A (72W) for 5-10 seconds to ignite the xenon bulb, then reaches steady state at around ~3.5A (42W). The OEM halogen low-beam is rated for 55W.
    • If you want to be conservative, use a relay instead of hooking up directly to the low-beam wire to power the ballast. The downside is that you'll just have more wires to deal with.
    • You should do your own current draw/usage measurement on your own setup to confirm, especially if you are using different ballasts/HIDs.
  3. A quad Bi-Xenon projector setup will have two projectors and two 35W ballasts in each headlight and should utilize a relay
    • Two projectors being powered by two 35W ballasts simultaneously (as i measured them with a clamp meter) will draw a peak current of ~12A (144W) at startup for about 5-10 seconds, then reach a steady state current draw of ~7A (84W).
    • The relay draws power/current for both 35w ballasts directly from the battery and the wire gauge for it should be appropriately sized. A splitter Y-cable may be needed to wire this relay harness to both projectors. TRS has a ton of these relay harnesses, Y-splitters, and other cables.
    • The low-beam wire (#3) will just be used as the signal/switch to turn on the relay
    • You should do your own current draw/usage measurement on your own setup to confirm, especially if you are using different ballasts/HIDs.
  4. The solenoid/shutters for the high-beam functionality do not draw significant current and the high-beam power wire (#6) rated at 55w is more than ample to power both solenoids.
    • Connect the solenoid power (red) wire to the oem high beam wire (#6).
    • Connect the solenoid ground (black) wire to the common ground wire (#2).
If you guys find any errors in the logic above, or if i'm missing anything, by all means, let me know, and i will update it.
Guys I own a 2011 BMW F10 with halogen headlights. I installed aftermarket Angel eye DRLs and now I need them to function as a DRL. I don't know where to take the power for it from. I tried every wiring combo in the headlight wiring but still couldn't find a power slot for them to constantly turn on when the car is on. Please help with how to give the wiring for the DRLs!🙏🏻
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #382
molafisoye
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 LCI 2015, E46 318ci

Does any one know how to disassemble f30 LCI headlights (remove the lens). It seems different from the pre lci models.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 07:20 PM   #383
ruvdan
LarryTheScary
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 - F31 328xd - F30 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienarcis View Post
Thanks guys!!! much appreciated!

Just finished SJ00's lights. I'm really liking the simplicity of just halos. Or maybe it's cause there's less work involved lol!

I think I'm gonna experiment if I get my hands on another used set of halogens. Been thinking about putting another projector for the high beam, but would it cause problems if I wired both projectors(HIDs) to work as low beams at the same time? hmmm...
probably a dumb question but how do you all get the halos onto the lenses? do you just glue the LED/halo ring to the outside of the lens or?
Appreciate 0