F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340 xdrive alternatives
ARMA SPEED

07-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #23
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Just read about the new M2.... has the S55 motor in it... yea... I'd get that...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 01:46 AM   #24
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Where are you guys getting this info about 2 series gc with front wheel drive and 4 bangers? I've heard rumors of a potential 2 series gran coupe, but nothing about limitations on engine offerings or being fwd. the 2 series is rwd or rwd biased on xdrive. Why would they make a special fwd version for the gran coupe?
Multiple news outlets and leaks have supported this, as well as people being able to spot it from components that the car had regarding its brake setup. Its maybe not 100% but its highly likely. Also they won't be making any new special FWD chassis for the 2 series as the 2 series isn't just in America. Overseas theres a 2 series active tourer (MPV/Hatch) the F45 and F46 thats based on the UKL platform and that is most likely going to share its platform with the gran coupe as its chassis code is the F44, one below the tourer, giving reason for the GC to be FWD while the coupes remain RWD.
      07-31-2018, 03:11 AM   #25
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Multiple news outlets and leaks have supported this, as well as people being able to spot it from components that the car had regarding its brake setup. Its maybe not 100% but its highly likely. Also they won't be making any new special FWD chassis for the 2 series as the 2 series isn't just in America. Overseas theres a 2 series active tourer (MPV/Hatch) the F45 and F46 thats based on the UKL platform and that is most likely going to share its platform with the gran coupe as its chassis code is the F44, one below the tourer, giving reason for the GC to be FWD while the coupes remain RWD.
You shouldn't read too much into the F44 code being one below F45. F40, F41, and F44 will be UKL2, next generation compared to F45, with a lot of body hardware (but not drivetrain) shared with G20.

As for F44 being FWD, it is indeed 100% confirmed. The top model will be FWD-biased AWD with 300hp B48 transverse engine layout. The first time we'll see this drivetrain next summer or fall in X2 M35i.

Answering OP's original question: Model 3 dual motor.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #26
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive Msport

It’s been a while since I started this thread but settled on the Alfa Romeo Giulia. It’s certainly down on power relative to the B58 but it’s one of the quickest 4 cylinder turbos (significantly faster than the 330) and handling/steering feel is fantastic. It’s a very nice looking car too. Hopefully it doesn’t spend too much time in the shop. Leasing is not very good but they were willing to give huge discounts off msrp on 2018 so monthly payments wound up very reasonable. Should be getting it within the week (trade from another dealer). Will miss my 340 but time for a change.
Appreciate 1
BMW11279.00
      10-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #27
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsdoc View Post
It’s been a while since I started this thread but settled on the Alfa Romeo Giulia. It’s certainly down on power relative to the B58 but it’s one of the quickest 4 cylinder turbos (significantly faster than the 330) and handling/steering feel is fantastic. It’s a very nice looking car too. Hopefully it doesn’t spend too much time in the shop. Leasing is not very good but they were willing to give huge discounts off msrp on 2018 so monthly payments wound up very reasonable. Should be getting it within the week (trade from another dealer). Will miss my 340 but time for a change.
Keep us posted on how the Giulia works out for you, good luck!
      10-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #28
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
congratulations on the Giulia; post up some pics when you get it. sounds like a sound choice. looking forward to your impressions compared to BMW, enjoy
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #29
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post

Answering OP's original question: Model 3 dual motor.
Now that I’m coming back to this thread realized I missed some posts. Interestingly my plan all along had been to get a model 3 dual motor. Put a deposit in a long time ago and my reservation came up to order just about in time to get a car at end of my 340 lease. Then I realized that Tesla wasn’t leasing yet and for financing a 60k car that meant over $800 a month that I just didn’t want to do even if net cost may have come out even or better with selling it down the road. That’s when I then started this thread. So maybe a Tesla the next time around. The new bmw 3 sounds very promising but they again made it longer so it won’t fit in my damn ultra short garage. May just need to get a contractor to price out lengthing it somehow for future cars. It really is limiting. So the Giulia it is for now. I think I will enjoy it. Will post back with some comparative impressions when I get it. I still think the Golf R may have been the best combination of engine and handling but they just won’t discount that car and leasing is terrible so the monthly payment was going to be more than my 340 that cost almost 20k more. It just wasn’t worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #30
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Cool. The giulia looks good. Tho based on what I’ve read, the giulia Ti (5.7s) is slower than the 330i (5.4s) for 0-60.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-driver-page-4

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      10-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #31
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Genesis g70 might be what you are looking for, although i dont know how it compares size wise.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #32
Swappy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 340i LSB/ 21 X3 30i

Quote:
Great car but the Giulia is actually slower than 330i if you look at the C/D test results.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #33
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swappy View Post
Great car but the Giulia is actually slower than 330i if you look at the C/D test results.
Most other reviews put the AWD Giulia around 5.1 seconds and have said it's faster than a 330. On my test drive it definitely felt faster than a 330 but that's obviously subjective.
      10-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #34
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swappy View Post
I see you have or had a Golf R and a 340. Just curious how you feel the Golf R compare? I really liked a 2018 Golf R I test drove but they were unwilling to discount it at all and leasing was terrible. Not as luxurious or feature rich as my 340 but thought it actually drove better and was equally as quick.

Last edited by cardsdoc; 10-15-2018 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #35
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Most other reviews put the AWD Giulia around 5.1 seconds and have said it's faster than a 330. On my test drive it definitely felt faster than a 330 but that's obviously subjective.
CR is pretty trust worthy and test on the same track so many variables are constant (altitude, surface conditions), Giulia Ti (AWD): 6.7s, BMW 330i xDrive 6.9s, BMW 328i 6.3s for 0-60.

So, yup. Giulia is probably faster than the 330i despite what C&D measured

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #36
Swappy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 340i LSB/ 21 X3 30i

Quote:
I see you have or had a Golf R and a 340. Just curious how you feel the Golf R compare? I really liked a 2018 Golf R I test drove but they were unwilling to discount it at all and leasing was terrible. Not as luxurious or feature rich as my 340 but thought it actually drove better and was equally as quick.
I like the Golf R, for the price I feel it provides the best combination of fun, power, AWD (I live in Canada) and interior quality. It feels almost Audi like inside.

A lot of people say MK7 has better interiors than F30, but not in my case since I have the full leather dash, and it handily beats out the R.

The biggest difference is the engine, the straight six with MPPSK sounds worlds apart from the 2.0 turbo 4 in the R. I disabled the fake noise speaker in the R and it sounded so wimpy I actually coded it back in.

It is nowhere as quick as the 340i with MPPSK, I have never driven a 340 without it so maybe it will compare more favourably.

I love the R, it is my favourite car below the $50k mark (and I am not a huge fan of hatchbacks) but I still prefer my 340i by a mile.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:25 AM   #37
cardsdoc
Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve had the Giulia Ti Sport AWD with performance package (active suspension + LSD) for about a week now. This car is an absolute joy to drive. It really is a drivers car. While it’s not as fast as my 340 was, when it’s in its power band (albeit smaller than the 340) it has a lot of torque (over 300lb-ft) so still plenty fast. Max torque comes on later and it has an earlier redline so relative to the 340 you do have to be more careful about what gear you are in and optimize shift points to make good use of it. But when you do that it really moves. For everyday driving (I don’t track my cars) for us folks that like fast cars it’s still very good. Where it shines though is handling/steering. To me it’s in a different league than the current 3 series. Very quick steering with a little bit of road feel actually and a very firm nimble suspension yet not overly stiff although you will feel rough roads a little more. It feels like you are driving a much smaller car even a little go cart ish. Interior is nice. Simple and intuitive but probably not as upscale as the Germans. I’ve loved all of my 3 series - e90 335, f30 335, f30 340. 340 was my favorite overall of my 3 series but steering was still better on the e90. This car is more fun to drive though than all of them. I am looking forward to hearing what people think of the g20 once it’s out. I’m not sold on the exterior looks but really hoping they stepped up the steering/handling. The interior looks great though. Until then for those of you in a 330 or 340 and looking for a change I would highly encourage you to test drive a Giulia.
Appreciate 0