F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW 340i xdrive M Performance Power and Sound Kit MPPK - Finally installed -PIC/VID
ARMA SPEED

04-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #67
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi 6MT

janspeedy, do you know what driveline loss estimate was used to convert the whp #s to crank?

If you just use a static conversion factor then maybe it's not the best way to convey the data, but does that make it pure bull shit? It doesn't change the information content at all, just presents it differently. Assuming he can/will share the conversion factor. . .
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #68
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

can this exhaust work for the 335?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 11:55 AM   #69
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinboyblue
can this exhaust work for the 335?
It would need a good amount of modification I'm sure. And even if there is only slight modification needed, Why not buy an exhaust made for the 335?

I suggest Remus
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:27 AM   #70
bradleyq
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport

Janspeedy

I have a 340i and I am considering the MPPSK, in the UK.

I've read as much as much as I can find about the kit, but I wanted to ask a real world user, just how noticeable are the differences pre- and post installation (most MPSSK instals I've read about have been pre-delivery - but I get the impression yours was after delivery?).

I know it's going to be louder and faster, but I was just looking for your purely subjective impressions, on how much you can hear (from inside) the MPE and how much quicker that 30bhp feels?

Would be particularly interested to hear what sort of 0-60/62s you're getting now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #71
HitmanHearns
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' Infiniti Q50 / 16' Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyq View Post
Janspeedy

I've read as much as much as I can find about the kit, but I wanted to ask a real world user, just how noticeable are the differences pre- and post installation (most MPSSK instals I've read about have been pre-delivery - but I get the impression yours was after delivery?).

I know it's going to be louder and faster, but I was just looking for your purely subjective impressions, on how much you can hear (from inside) the MPE and how much quicker that 30bhp feels?

Would be particularly interested to hear what sort of 0-60/62s you're getting now.
More dyno's please !

Last edited by HitmanHearns; 07-19-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 11:23 AM   #72
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanHearns
Quote:
Janspeedy

More dyno's please !
Did anyone dyno the full package yet (before and after)?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #73
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm curious on the dyno as well. Does the Euro cars put down less to the wheels without the MPPK?

From the Dyno runs that Burger did for the JB4, they are showing 330HP/340ftlbs (wheel) with the stock motor. Those numbers would be pushing the input spec for the 8AT without MPPK.

Just wondering if that isn't part of the NA delay in launch? (Could be emission approvals though...)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #74
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I'm curious on the dyno as well. Does the Euro cars put down less to the wheels without the MPPK?

From the Dyno runs that Burger did for the JB4, they are showing 330HP/340ftlbs (wheel) with the stock motor. Those numbers would be pushing the input spec for the 8AT without MPPK.

Just wondering if that isn't part of the NA delay in launch? (Could be emission approvals though...)

These numbers still blow my mind. 330hp AT THE WHEEL?! I mean, the car feels quick, but I had no idea it was putting down that much power.

Can't wait to get the MPPK.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #75
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Cinco

Quote:
Janspeedy

Yes, this will be a little biased, but I recently got to drive my own stock 340i back to back with one that had the power kit + exhaust installed a few times to get a good feeling of the differences.

Power: Noticeable, the car makes a little more power throughout the RPM band and it feels like about what you'd expect another 30hp to feel - about 10% quicker. I also noticed increased responsiveness, the B58 has very little turbo lag once you get up into the midrange but the car with the power kit definitely got going even more quickly. The power added is not comparable to what a true aftermarket ECU tune will be able to deliver but those aren't available yet and this is pretty nice for a fully warrantied OEM option.

Exhaust: Great from outside, I wished I could hear a lot more of it from inside the car. My honest feeling from inside (windows up or down) was that the sound during acceleration was nice but not loud enough. One of my previous cars was a 335is and that exhaust was definitely louder inside the car. Lifting off the throttle gives an absolute ton of pops and burbles, I may have driven through a shady neighborhood and sent people diving for cover...

I did this drive to help decide what I'm going to do with my own car, I decided to go with the AWE exhaust because I like the sound inside the cabin better and will be waiting to see what tune options materialize in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #76
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting review. Now the big question: you were able to drive a 340i with the MPPSK in the U.S.? If so where and how? Because the kit hasn't been released in the US as far as anyone on this board can tell.

Last edited by Big Nodge; 07-28-2016 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #77
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema@TAG
Quote:
Janspeedy

Yes, this will be a little biased, but I recently got to drive my own stock 340i back to back with one that had the power kit + exhaust installed a few times to get a good feeling of the differences.

Power: Noticeable, the car makes a little more power throughout the RPM band and it feels like about what you'd expect another 30hp to feel - about 10% quicker. I also noticed increased responsiveness, the B58 has very little turbo lag once you get up into the midrange but the car with the power kit definitely got going even more quickly. The power added is not comparable to what a true aftermarket ECU tune will be able to deliver but those aren't available yet and this is pretty nice for a fully warrantied OEM option.

Exhaust: Great from outside, I wished I could hear a lot more of it from inside the car. My honest feeling from inside (windows up or down) was that the sound during acceleration was nice but not loud enough. One of my previous cars was a 335is and that exhaust was definitely louder inside the car. Lifting off the throttle gives an absolute ton of pops and burbles, I may have driven through a shady neighborhood and sent people diving for cover...

I did this drive to help decide what I'm going to do with my own car, I decided to go with the AWE exhaust because I like the sound inside the cabin better and will be waiting to see what tune options materialize in the future.
You drove this in the US? Hmm
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #78
bradleyq
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neema@TAG View Post

Thanks for that review, it's really helpful to hear from someone who's done comparative drives.

The stock exhaust would probably be fine for me if I could hear it better inside the car. Lovely with windows down, but that's no good above 50/60mph as the wind drowns is out and you have to rev the nuts off it and do very deliberate lifts offs to get burbles and crackles (I am aware how much of a child this makes me sound by the way). So, if it is that bit louder, even when not driving it like a hooligan, then that has to be to the good.

Some have commented that it sounds slightly offensive. I am totally fine with that As my car is mineral grey with black grill, it's very much a Q Car, so I don't mind letting it shout occasionally!

On power, good to hear it does feel like the 10% you'd expect. The 340i stock is of course fast as h*ll, but there are those very rare times when you wish it had more instant get up and go (i.e. a minuscule element of lag), so if this fills that gap, it sounds like a winner.

Getting a quote on insuring with the upgrade has taken some effort, but because it's OEM and dealer installed, there are a few good options (including my work's AON scheme). I imagine a non-BMW ECU tune and exhaust would add a lot to my premium, and that's before you even consider warranty issues, so for me, this is my only real upgrade option.

Which all gets me to an obvious conclusion. I have to have it!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #79
Carlos@TAG
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Cinco

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
You drove this in the US? Hmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
Interesting review. Now the big question: you were able to drive a 340i with the MPPSK in the U.S.? If so where and how? Because the kit hasn't been released in the US as far as anyone on this board can tell.
I was as surprised as you guys when I saw it. BMW was bringing it to various dealers along with a bunch of other cars as part of their Drive For A Cause event. They said they were donating $10 to charity for every car that was test driven so my girlfriend and I each drove everything they brought out. I asked four separate people who were with the event if it actually had the illusive power kit and still had my doubts until I felt it for myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #80
Big Nodge
Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting. I heard the 2017s were released from EPA hold this morning. If we don't see action on the MPPSK soon I fear we may never see it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:05 PM   #81
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

According to the BMW site (when you build your car), the 2017 3-series has the msport-stage2 kit as an option. The 2016 versions do not (could just be that you can't build a 2016 anymore).
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #82
Mr D
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

Can someone explain how this mppk works in terms of exhaust?

The actual mppk kit is just a tune and intake for around $2300... And m performance exhaust is extra on top of that?

Reason why I ask is because I'm interested in upgrading exhaust now for the 340i but I want to make sure I can still get the mppk.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:22 PM   #83
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
According to the BMW site (when you build your car), the 2017 3-series has the msport-stage2 kit as an option. The 2016 versions do not (could just be that you can't build a 2016 anymore).
The mppk was never an option for the 2016's. You can buy it separately, but it is more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #84
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nodge View Post
Interesting. I heard the 2017s were released from EPA hold this morning. If we don't see action on the MPPSK soon I fear we may never see it.
i've been fearing that for months...another reason to move to canada
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #85
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriphill View Post
The mppk was never an option for the 2016's. You can buy it separately, but it is more expensive.
I was just meaning that since you can now order a 2017 with it as an upgrade, they should have it for sale on the 2016 models as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:07 AM   #86
bradleyq
Rep

MPPSK now ordered, will take a matter of days I am told....will update on installation...!

Quote:
Thanks for that review, it's really helpful to hear from someone who's done comparative drives.

The stock exhaust would probably be fine for me if I could hear it better inside the car. Lovely with windows down, but that's no good above 50/60mph as the wind drowns is out and you have to rev the nuts off it and do very deliberate lifts offs to get burbles and crackles (I am aware how much of a child this makes me sound by the way). So, if it is that bit louder, even when not driving it like a hooligan, then that has to be to the good.

Some have commented that it sounds slightly offensive. I am totally fine with that As my car is mineral grey with black grill, it's very much a Q Car, so I don't mind letting it shout occasionally!

On power, good to hear it does feel like the 10% you'd expect. The 340i stock is of course fast as h*ll, but there are those very rare times when you wish it had more instant get up and go (i.e. a minuscule element of lag), so if this fills that gap, it sounds like a winner.

Getting a quote on insuring with the upgrade has taken some effort, but because it's OEM and dealer installed, there are a few good options (including my work's AON scheme). I imagine a non-BMW ECU tune and exhaust would add a lot to my premium, and that's before you even consider warranty issues, so for me, this is my only real upgrade option.

Which all gets me to an obvious conclusion. I have to have it!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #87
Eriphill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
I was just meaning that since you can now order a 2017 with it as an upgrade, they should have it for sale on the 2016 models as well.
Yes it has been on sale for awhile now for 2016's from the parts departments. I called a Vancouver dealer back in March and he quoted me over $4k.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #88
glacierf30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i 2013 sport line

Quote:
this makes no sense that they would sell the mppsk for 2017s in canada for just 2800$ CAN when it is 4000$+ at the parts departement..
Appreciate 0