F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > (WANTED) Fuel Mix/Option Recommendations to achieve 93
proTUNING Freaks

12-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Donteflon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, F30 340i, F80 M3

(WANTED) Fuel Mix/Option Recommendations to achieve 93

In the process of getting my 340i ready for BM3 and during my research I had a tough time discerning between what fuel mix to go to achieve 93 (I'm in Cali so max is 91) so I can run stage 1 or 2 on 93 octane.

I've read about octane boosters, mixing 100 octane race fuel, and running an e85 mix, but the results are kind of mixed and most are from early March of this year so I know software tuning and fueling improvements have made significant strides since.

As of now, what's the route I should take to achieve 93 consistently and most easily?

For those who have it and live in Cali or other 91 AKI states, what have you found success with?

By the way, not to interested in going Meth right now. Maybe down the line, but zero interest as of right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donteflon View Post
In the process of getting my 340i ready for BM3 and during my research I had a tough time discerning between what fuel mix to go to achieve 93 (I'm in Cali so max is 91) so I can run stage 1 or 2 on 93 octane.

I've read about octane boosters, mixing 100 octane race fuel, and running an e85 mix, but the results are kind of mixed and most are from early March of this year so I know software tuning and fueling improvements have made significant strides since.

As of now, what's the route I should take to achieve 93 consistently and most easily?

For those who have it and live in Cali or other 91 AKI states, what have you found success with?

By the way, not to interested in going Meth right now. Maybe down the line, but zero interest as of right now.
Hello - like you I am in California with a 340 and I'm running a stage 2 MP tune. That said I regularly mix 91 with e85 in that it is readily available to me here in Huntington Beach. I simply carry a little chart around with me on my phone that I put together that shows me how many gallons of each I should put in based on how many total gallons I plan on putting in the car.

And if I find myself heading out on a drive to an area that I know I will not be able to have access to e85 - I simply drop straight 91 in the tank and let the tune adapt to that.

Hope this helps - happy modding :-)

ps- gasbuddy works great for finding e85 stations and george belton has a good e85 calculator here:
http://www.georgebelton.com/E85Calculator.php
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #3
Donteflon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i, F30 340i, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Hello - like you I am in California with a 340 and I'm running a stage 2 MP tune. That said I regularly mix 91 with e85 in that it is readily available to me here in Huntington Beach. I simply carry a little chart around with me on my phone that I put together that shows me how many gallons of each I should put in based on how many total gallons I plan on putting in the car.

And if I find myself heading out on a drive to an area that I know I will not be able to have access to e85 - I simply drop straight 91 in the tank and let the tune adapt to that.

Hope this helps - happy modding :-)

ps- gasbuddy works great for finding e85 stations
LOL, you're right next door to me. I'm in FV.

Think you could let me nic that chart off of you?

I'm going to look into MP actually. I've seen tons of praise for them. Are you on their 91 version or 92+?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
I've been using this site http://www.wallaceracing.com/ethanol-mix-calc.php

Also important to determine what the actual ethanol content of your "E-85" is. Most of the stations in my area only guarantee the content to be 51% ethanol. There's another station that guarantees 70% or better and I've tested it and it is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      12-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donteflon View Post
LOL, you're right next door to me. I'm in FV.

Think you could let me nic that chart off of you?

I'm going to look into MP actually. I've seen tons of praise for them. Are you on their 91 version or 92+?

Cheers
Oh awesome come drive the car. I'm running their stage 2.5 + tranny tune (however I have access to drop it to stage 1 or 2 etc..) so come on by and we can switch the tunes around if you want so you can experience the difference.

The stage 2+ tune really likes a little e85 thrown in there on top of the 91. But as I mentioned sometimes I don't have access or I simply don't bother so I just drop the 91 in the tank and go (sometimes leave the stage 2.5 in the car or sometimes drop it to stage 1 or stock at those times) I don't think you can go wrong with any of the major tunes (BM3 is great) but I like to have MP close - Alex lives in Mission Viejo and the shop is by the California Speedway - I enjoy having access to him.

drop me a PM if you want we are near downtown HB by the hotels

ps- for sure I'll give you the chart
Appreciate 0