F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Awe axle back quad exhaust upgrade
Studio RSR

01-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
bmw_f32
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 430i f32 B48

Hello everyone , im upgrading my stock exhaust on my f32 b48 to a AWE axle back quad exhaust , ive decided not to go with the AWE mid pipe just yet as ive decided to see how it will sound first before proceeding , ive also upgraded the boost inlet pipe for a FTP inlet , and a MST cold intake . Should i be upgrading my down pipe and mid pipe all at once or hold off ? Looking into a FTP charge pipe as well . Any and all opinions appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_f32 View Post
Hello everyone , im upgrading my stock exhaust on my f32 b48 to a AWE axle back quad exhaust , ive decided not to go with the AWE mid pipe just yet as ive decided to see how it will sound first before proceeding , ive also upgraded the boost inlet pipe for a FTP inlet , and a MST cold intake . Should i be upgrading my down pipe and mid pipe all at once or hold off ? Looking into a FTP charge pipe as well . Any and all opinions appreciated!
FTP makes excellent stuff.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

I'd hold off on the AWE midpipe until after you swap the downpipe. Many guys have said that the AWE midpipe is really loud, unless that's what you want.
Appreciate 1
bmw_f3213.50
      01-28-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
bmw_f32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
FTP makes excellent stuff.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

I'd hold off on the AWE midpipe until after you swap the downpipe. Many guys have said that the AWE midpipe is really loud, unless that's what you want.
Nope , not yet at least ! So i went ahead and got that same one u linked but in red , straight from FTP . I will definitely post her up once shes all set up.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      01-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Id get this catted downpipe

https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...74906ee2&_ss=r
Appreciate 1
bmw_f3213.50
      01-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
Sad N26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i X-Drive

Quote:
Howdy. Thought I'd put in my thoughts...

Unless I'm mistaken, your B48 has a second catalytic converter in the stock midpipe, just like my N26 did. When I installed my AWE midpipe (resonated) it eliminated the second cat. This drastically improved the top end power and it felt like the car really woke up. Unfortunately, I felt like I lost a little power in the low end, but I also attribute that to the Dinan axleback I have being open all the time (no exhaust flap or actuator). I had to get the Dinan Sportronics tuner to restore some low end power.

In the end, I think it was worth it, and the car sounds fantastic to me. It's not obnoxiously loud but there's enough of an edge for anyone to realize the car is no longer stock. Power delivery after 3500rpm is way better and there's just more of it. I can't wait until I get a catted downpipe and more in-depth tuning later this year.

Summary: I'd recommend a resonated AWE midpipe only if your car has a second cat in the stock midpipe. Otherwise, probably not. Does the AWE quad axleback have the exhaust flap for the actuator to connect to? If not and it is open all the time, with the AWE midpipe be ready to swap a little low end grunt for more top end power. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the trade.
2016 328i XDrive N26 8AT: K&N Drop-In Filter * GPlus FMIC * ER Chargepipe * DinanTronics Sport Tuner (Race +4psi) * AWE Midpipe (2nd Cat Delete) * Dinan Axleback Exhaust * Dinan Sport Springs * Megan Racing Front Strut Tower Bar * Cross-Drilled Rotors * Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads * StopTech SS Brake Lines
Appreciate 1
bmw_f3213.50
      01-29-2021, 06:34 PM   #6
bmw_f32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad N26 View Post
Quote:

Unless I'm mistaken, your B48 has a second catalytic converter in the stock midpipe, just like my N26 did. When I installed my AWE midpipe (resonated) it eliminated the second cat. This drastically improved the top end power and it felt like the car really woke up. Unfortunately, I felt like I lost a little power in the low end, but I also attribute that to the Dinan axleback I have being open all the time (no exhaust flap or actuator). I had to get the Dinan Sportronics tuner to restore some low end power.

In the end, I think it was worth it, and the car sounds fantastic to me. It's not obnoxiously loud but there's enough of an edge for anyone to realize the car is no longer stock. Power delivery after 3500rpm is way better and there's just more of it. I can't wait until I get a catted downpipe and more in-depth tuning later this year.

Summary: I'd recommend a resonated AWE midpipe only if your car has a second cat in the stock midpipe. Otherwise, probably not. Does the AWE quad axleback have the exhaust flap for the actuator to connect to? If not and it is open all the time, with the AWE midpipe be ready to swap a little low end grunt for more top end power. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the trade.
Quote:
Quote:

I don't believe she has a exhaust flap unless its this ?
And no the quad awe exhaust doesnt seem to have it either
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
Sad N26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i X-Drive

Quote:
Yes, that's the valve I'm talking about. It's in only one of the exhaust exits from the muffler. The AWE quad axle back doesn't have it?
2016 328i XDrive N26 8AT: K&N Drop-In Filter * GPlus FMIC * ER Chargepipe * DinanTronics Sport Tuner (Race +4psi) * AWE Midpipe (2nd Cat Delete) * Dinan Axleback Exhaust * Dinan Sport Springs * Megan Racing Front Strut Tower Bar * Cross-Drilled Rotors * Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads * StopTech SS Brake Lines
Appreciate 1
bmw_f3213.50
      01-29-2021, 06:44 PM   #8
bmw_f32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Hey thanks for the link , i went ERW catless for now and see how it works out , and save up for a catted like the link you provided in the future . I heard i might have a secondary cat in the stock midpipe wich im keeping but need to confirm that with my guy .
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #9
bmw_f32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's the valve I'm talking about. It's in only one of the exhaust exits from the muffler. The AWE quad axle back doesn't have it?
I dont think so i dont see it in any description , might have to reach out to AWE and see what i can do because they are making it from scratch .
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
DarkF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I dont think so i dont see it in any description , might have to reach out to AWE and see what i can do because they are making it from scratch .
You can custom order an exhaust from awe?
Appreciate 1
bmw_f3213.50
      01-31-2021, 09:42 PM   #11
bmw_f32
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can custom order an exhaust from awe?

I wouldnt know about custom but i bought an exhaust which they have to make because they didnt have it in stock .
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
spirit3d88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

If someone wants a good exhaust system, that is RAGAZZON, observe what things there are for ours, type MPPSK 440i, with valves and free outlets

https://www.ragazzon.com/eng/ragazzo...l=262&cld=1002

these models

50.0580.05 and 50.0580.70

Appreciate 0