F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > First Post - 2018 330i - Low Coolant Warning - water pump seal
Studio RSR

02-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #1
CaptJML
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

First Post - 2018 330i - Low Coolant Warning - water pump seal

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I'm been lurking for about a month and searching the forums for some answers and hopefully a bit of confidence. My wife and I bought a 2018 330i CPO from a local Dealership in South Florida. We've had the car for a month. We had it in the shop once to handle a few cosmetic items from the purchase that were all handled very well. A couple nights ago we got the Low Coolant Warning on the dash. Engine temps were all in a safe good range so my wife drove the car home. I ended up adding about 29oz of BMW coolant to the overfill tank. We took the car in today to BMW (all covered under the CPO warranty) and they have identified a leak in the "water pump seal". I have the service history of the car and at 6000 the car was brought in by the previous owner and according to what I'm reading it looks like the improper coolant bleeding from the factory was observed and addressed. Then at 18000 a coolant line was replace. Now 24000 a water pump seal. They will be replacing the entire water pump from what I understand.

Is this something that common and should I be keeping an eye on this in the future?

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:12 PM   #2
Boundless46
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

I have a 2017 330i and everything has been fine besides the cooling system. Cylinder Head Expansion Hose broke, Oil Filter Housing broke, Water Pump is leaking and just recently my Valve Cover gasket went bad and I just read online that other people are getting this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
CaptJML
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

UPDATE: All repairs covered under warranty. $0.00 out of pocket expenses. I also want to start with a positive note regarding the serve center and more specifically service rep we have interacted with they have been incredible.

This is our first BMW experience (CPO purchase and servicing). It's a far cry from the typical Kia/Dodge/Ford/Jeep/Honda experiences my wife and I have had in the past years. Even the service center waiting room is a significant upscale experience in comparison.

The water pump seal was the issue and they installed a new water pump. While there they also replaced both engine mounts and a clip to the parking brake.

I hope these are the last issues we have for sometime. My wife loves driving the car. However it is a bit concerning that on a 2018 BMW and 24,000 miles we are having to address issues that wouldn't normally com up for replacement for 10 of thousands of miles from now.

Are there other items we should keep an eye on?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Chances are these are items related to the B46/48 engines that are now starting to show up. One way to tell if a part is a problem is to look up the part at http://www.realoem.com/bmw
If there are newer versions from the original it's usually because BMW found it needed improving.
Appreciate 0