F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Rear View Mirror Compass Problem
proTUNING Freaks

09-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
E30M CW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335Xi

Rear View Mirror Compass Problem

Hi All,

I bought my 2015 335Xi a few months ago, and so far it’s been a great choice. It’s got the M Performance Package 1 & 2 and a 6MT. I insisted on finding one with a 6MT because I love driving, and I found this one in Quebec and shipped it out to Alberta.

Lately, I been fighting my dealership over a problem with the compass in the rear view mirror. Since it arrived I noticed the compass in the rear view mirror was always a little off, and I read in the owners manual that I’m supposed to reset the compass’ magnetic zone to match the car’s location. I’ve done that and after I reset the zone to 3 it reads correctly, but after I switch off the ignition the compass forgets the zone I just programmed and when I switch on the car again the mirror will have reverted back to zone 8 and again reads a little off.

I brought the car to the dealership to have the compass fixed under the warranty, and they’ve been giving me the run around. At first, they said that the mirror was set to zone 3 so long as I don’t check it, and that if I check it will read zone 8 but really it’s set to zone 3. That seemed like total BS to me and I told them that when the mirror is correctly set to zone 3 the compass will correctly read that my car is facing NW when it’s parked in my garage, but reads W when it’s programmed to zone 8. Well of course the compass has been reading W, so I asked them again to fix it.

Then, they claimed that the BMW parts catalog didn’t show that the F30’s rear view mirror as having a compass in it and claimed that my mirror must be aftermarket and again not covered under the warranty. So I pointed out the Interior Equipment pages in the owners manual that clearly show our cars having a rear view mirror with HomeLink and a compass, and showed them the instructions for re-programming the compass zone.

Now, they’ve shared a video with me showing another BMW with a compass mirror. They re-programmed it to zone 3, shut the car off, and then showed how it also read zone 8 after the car is turned on again. So now, they’re saying that since all BMW mirror behave the same way, the mirror is working as designed and that the owners manual is frequently wrong when equipment changes are made and the manual isn’t updated in time.

This all seems like BS to me, so I’m asking for a little help. Could you share with me a video showing you:
1. Programming the rear view mirror compass with a zone
2. Switching off the car
3. Switching the car back on; and
4. Checking the rear view mirror compass zone afterwards showing that it’s still programmed with the zone you entered

I’d like to show the dealership that the mirror is supposed to remember the zone programmed into it after the car is switched off and then switched on again.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 03:17 AM   #2
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Try running the calibration procedure after you set your zone. Some documents for the Gentex mirrors indicate that you must run it after setting the zone. Maybe that's why it keeps resetting or showing the incorrect bearing.

To calibrate, hold the control button for a bit longer until C is displayed the drive your car in a few circles slowly.
Appreciate 1
tex26702400.50
      09-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #3
E30M CW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335Xi

I did the calibration procedure. No effect. Still had the same problem. Anyone know if there's a battery in the mirror that needs replacing?
Appreciate 0