F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First time BMW owner - 2019 440i Xdrive
GetBMWParts

02-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #45
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. I must have missed the email notification somehow. I get this done for you after dinner or in the morning.
No problem, take your time, no rush
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #46
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
No problem, take your time, no rush
Interesting. I didn't get an email notification for that post either. It was working before. I'm still subscribed and they are not in my spam folder.

Anyway, things kept me tied up this morning and I just now got the measurements for you.

2 1/8" front and rear. 225/45 R18 tires

Edit:
Went back to your photo and see your tape is on top of the paint stick and I measured to the bottom.
So, exactly 2" front and back is the answer.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #47
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Interesting. I didn't get an email notification for that post either. It was working before. I'm still subscribed and they are not in my spam folder.

Anyway, things kept me tied up this morning and I just now got the measurements for you.

2 1/8" front and rear. 225/45 R18 tires

Edit:
Went back to your photo and see your tape is on top of the paint stick and I measured to the bottom.
So, exactly 2" front and back is the answer.
Do you use the app? I get the notifications on my iPhone.

Thanks for measuring it. So it is 2 1/8" after adding the stick thickness? The rear end of my car has definitely sagged by about 3/8". And my front gap seems 1/8" higher than yours.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 04:10 PM   #48
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Do you use the app? I get the notifications on my iPhone.

Thanks for measuring it. So it is 2 1/8" after adding the stick thickness? The rear end of my car has definitely sagged by about 3/8". And my front gap seems 1/8" higher than yours.
Yes, 2 1/8" to the bottom of the paint stick and it's 1/8" thick.

I don't use the app. Just a linux PC. Right after my last post I unsubscribed from the thread and then re-subscribed and I did receive an email notification of your post.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #49
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
Nice, you have Adaptive Cruise control! That's a very rare feature and IMO one of the best ones if you drive a lot on the highway. This is a gorgeous car Roger, congratulations on an amazing find.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #50
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFar View Post
Nice, you have Adaptive Cruise control! That's a very rare feature and IMO one of the best ones if you drive a lot on the highway. This is a gorgeous car Roger, congratulations on an amazing find.
Thanks! I am elated with this car so far.

Adaptive Cruise wasn't one of my must-have options but thought it was cool that the car did have that along with my must-have list.

The Adaptive Cruise control does have times where it is just awesome to have but other times I wish I had the ability to hit a switch and revert to regular cruise control. It will not do that. From what I've read online, there are other BMW year/models that does have the functionality but mine does not.

I've also read that the feature is there but is programmed out. Don't know if that's true or not or if there is some way of having it enabled with a software update or hack if it is true.

Last edited by roger55; 02-21-2020 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #51
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

So I was super interested in getting rid of our Audi my wife mostly drives and getting a C7 Corvette. Now I am starting to think about going more towards a 440i M sport with a tune.

Having a bit of a backseat and a decent trunk just seems to make it much more of a useful car. That would help me sell her on it at least She thinks a Corvette is totally useless. I can't say out C5 convertible was much of a utility car either...

In some ways it is very similar to the 330i grocery getter I have, but in other ways, especially with the B58 tuned, it would be very different having a 3 sedan and 4 coupe.

Sounds like you are having fun with yours!!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #52
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
So I was super interested in getting rid of our Audi my wife mostly drives and getting a C7 Corvette. Now I am starting to think about going more towards a 440i M sport with a tune.

Having a bit of a backseat and a decent trunk just seems to make it much more of a useful car. That would help me sell her on it at least She thinks a Corvette is totally useless. I can't say out C5 convertible was much of a utility car either...

In some ways it is very similar to the 330i grocery getter I have, but in other ways, especially with the B58 tuned, it would be very different having a 3 sedan and 4 coupe.

If your wife likes convertibles the 440i hardtop is the only way I could sell mine on getting one. It's about 1/2 second slower than the coupe, but it has one hell of a large trunk for a convertible, and it's great all year round. Just do it fast if you want new, the 2020 is the last model year with a hard top, and can only be ordered for a few more months.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #53
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFar View Post
If your wife likes convertibles the 440i hardtop is the only way I could sell mine on getting one. It's about 1/2 second slower than the coupe, but it has one hell of a large trunk for a convertible, and it's great all year round. Just do it fast if you want new, the 2020 is the last model year with a hard top, and can only be ordered for a few more months.
Not sure coupe or convertible, I guess either would be nice with our weather here! If the right combo came around, I'd be open to either really. The Removable hard top on the C7 coupe was a nice midpoint.

You are not kidding about getting going, the soft top is not ANYWHERE near as scary as the semi truck grills I am seeing on the new 4 series
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:39 PM   #54
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I certainly am!

Really, the only thing my Corvette has that my 440i does not is the looks. When you drive a Corvette, everybody notices. I kind of like that as it sets you apart. Unless a person knows and likes BMW's, you are driving a car that kind of just blends in. The body shape is not unlike a bunch of other cars out there and some are just very average cars. But when I'm driving it, I know it's far, far away from an average car and in many respects out-engineers a Corvette.

Keep in mind my only experience with driving a C7 are the one my brother had and the one he has now. Also keep in mind that with him recently acquiring a 2017 440i M Sport, this changes nothing on how he feels about his 2017 GS Corvette. I really loves that car but he's totally enjoying his new 440i as well.

If you are serious about getting a 2017 440i M Sport, this is a really good time to look for one. A bunch of them are coming off lease and dealers all over the country are picking them up at good prices from the lease companies. Bill's find was a example of one of these. I'm sure also that some of these are going to BMW dealerships and if the car meets a certain criteria, will become a CPO car. That will tack on 12 months to any remaining factory warranty.

Take a look at this link:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...dEntity=c26138

Here's one that caught my eye:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...142_isFeatured

This choice should be an easy sell to your wife. It was for my brother Bill's wife. My wife didn't drive one until I got home with mine. She gave me the "I could drive this car" line which means she likes it. Even if I had sold my '08 6-spd and had gotten a C7 automatic, I think she would only drive it if she absolutely had to and she wouldn't like it at all. So now if I need the SUV that is her driver, she would have no trouble swapping out to the 440i for me.

Last edited by roger55; 02-21-2020 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #55
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I need another car right now like I need a hole in my head, but I am definitely going to be on the lookout for the right one either way. Stay tuned… But in the meantime keep enjoying the new rides!!! I also do sincerely appreciate all of the insight
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:25 AM   #56
Overdraft
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F33 x drive

Quote:
I need another car right now like I need a hole in my head, but I am definitely going to be on the lookout for the right one either way. Stay tuned… But in the meantime keep enjoying the new rides!!! I also do sincerely appreciate all of the insight
You and me both but fwiw, I picked up a new F33 fearing the end of the hardtop convertible- somewhat useable 4 seasons - and really happy with it. Liked the platform enough that was initially going to be an occasional driver on nice days for my wife and I but it’s turned into a daily driver for her (and me on occasion). We will undoubtedly keep it for a long time.
2018 Porsche GT3 Touring
2021 Porsche Targa 4S
Appreciate 1
JayFar101.00
      02-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #57
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Congratulations. I love mine too. If you can swing it, get the MPPSK installed if you haven't done so.

No, it's not as quick as a Corvette. I know, I had a C7 a while back. But what it lacks in acceleration, it makes up in handling and refinement. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper to insure.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #58
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What’s the word on the street regarding the mechanical reliability of the hard top convertibles?

They have been around for a while now and I have never really seriously looked into it, but are there a lot of issues? Are the common problems repairable by someone reasonably mechanically inclined at home?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #59
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
What’s the word on the street regarding the mechanical reliability of the hard top convertibles?

They have been around for a while now and I have never really seriously looked into it, but are there a lot of issues? Are the common problems repairable by someone reasonably mechanically inclined at home?
I've read mostly negative comments but take that with a grain of salt because more people are going to take the time to complain than praise. I've never liked the look of ragtops when they are up, which is how they look 90% of the time. Always thought if I lived in a nicer climate that I'd consider a hard-top convertible.

My favorite is a recent-years Porsche 911 Targa. Even have a plan to afford one. Ahh, gotta go buy another lottery ticket!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #60
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Kinda surprised they never went with a larger glass roof on the coupe. Mustang did it for a bit and then jumped ship.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #61
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

My wife and I have had a hard top convertible since 2007, so we've had a lot of experience with their quirks. Before we bought our F33 I spent 2 years or so researching them. Mechanically the roofs are solid, but there are some drawbacks with a hard top that you have to be cautious of. The roof isn't one solid piece and essentially uses gaskets to keep the rain out. If you live in a hot dry climate with lots of sun those gaskets can dry out and stop working properly fairly quick. If you buy used just spend a lot of time looking at the rubber seals, make sure they aren't cracked, dry, or in generally bad shape. If they are bad, I'd say walk away, but if they are pliable and still feel soft then maintaining them is easy and there is a special lubricant that you can put on them to keep them in great shape.

IMO there is no better convertible out there than a hard top, and the BMW is the last 4 seater on the market. It's a fantastic daily driver. With the top up it's remarkably quiet, with the top down you get a great audio from the exhaust tone. It's also a very usable back seat especially with the top down. Ive had 4 adults in it from Connecticut to NH with no complaints. The rear seats also fold down and there is a pass through to the trunk so there's a silly amount space for road trips with 2 people. There's also an awesome "transformer" mode for the trunk when the top is down to allow you to get into the trunk without putting the top back up. During the summer I would always end up doing a show and tell in the grocery store parking lot to prove that it can hold a weeks worth of groceries with the top down. Had one wife tell her husband that he should sell his McLaren for one of these... he did not agree lol
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 07:12 PM   #62
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haha! I bet he didn’t!!

All excellent insight and information, thank you!

I used to get some terrible creaking in the doors of my past Audi and VW cars. After chasing down rattles all over, it turned out to be the rubber and felt door seals.

I used what is likely a similar product to what you are talking about called gummi pflege. It helped keep the rubber supple and really cut down on the creaking.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 04:50 AM   #63
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah that's the stuff that BMW pushes but I think the actual chemical name is Krytox. Personally I keep mine in the garage all the time and I lubricate my seals every spring. I've never had a problem
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #64
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Congratulations. I love mine too. If you can swing it, get the MPPSK installed if you haven't done so.

No, it's not as quick as a Corvette. I know, I had a C7 a while back. But what it lacks in acceleration, it makes up in handling and refinement. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper to insure.
Thanks!
So we've got the same car. I take it you have the MPPSK?
How long did you drive your car before installing it? And, I'd like to hear your comments about how pronounced the power and sound differences are.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #65
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks!
So we've got the same car. I take it you have the MPPSK?
How long did you drive your car before installing it? And, I'd like to hear your comments about how pronounced the power and sound differences are.
I don't have it yet but I've heard how it sounds. I also love the fact that it's covered under warranty and just makes the car that much better. Not many manufacturer gives you the option of improving your car significantly right at the dealership. I had a Corvette C7 with factory Z51 exhaust kit that you can turn on and off like the BMW and that sounded spectacular too.

Here's an except from two Canadian car junkies.
Appreciate 1
hybris204.50
      02-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #66
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for posting that video!!!
I had been thinking probably not about this kit but now I realize I'm going to have to give it very serious thought.
I wonder if I could be successful in negotiating with a dealer to have them include installation if I paid the MSRP price for the kit?
Have you talked to any dealers about it yet?
Appreciate 0