F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Do I need to swap my sway bar?
ARMA SPEED

05-31-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
XclusiveF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive Msport

Do I need to swap my sway bar?

I've been looking to do some coilovers on my 2016 340i Xdrive with Msport package (no track and handling package) I've pretty much decided on the Bilstein B16 kit, and read somewhere that the Sway bar needed to be swapped to the M-sport suspension sway bars because of clearance issues? Of course, now I can't seem to find the post that made mention of that. Has anyone put coilovers on their 2016 or newer xdrive and found this to be the case or should I be good to go?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
You don't need to swap sway bars to fit B16s. After installing the B16s though you might consider moving to a larger rear sway bar since the B16 front springs are so stiff compared to the rear.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:38 AM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusiveF30 View Post
I've been looking to do some coilovers on my 2016 340i Xdrive with Msport package (no track and handling package) I've pretty much decided on the Bilstein B16 kit, and read somewhere that the Sway bar needed to be swapped to the M-sport suspension sway bars because of clearance issues? Of course, now I can't seem to find the post that made mention of that. Has anyone put coilovers on their 2016 or newer xdrive and found this to be the case or should I be good to go?
I recommend the H&R sway bars. Maybe this B16 installation may help.

Appreciate 1
Wiesbmw46.00
      06-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I'm going to have to partially disagree with you on this one. With softer springs the H&Rs front/rear set can work, but with the front spring as stiff as it is on the B16s, it's going to be punishing and cause a lot of understeer. The H&R rear bar alone might be fine for him though.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I'm going to have to partially disagree with you on this one. With softer springs the H&Rs front/rear set can work, but with the front spring as stiff as it is on the B16s, it's going to be punishing and cause a lot of understeer. The H&R rear bar alone might be fine for him though.
Sorry. I should have been more descriptive. I saw your recommendation to increase the rear bar along with the B16s so I was providing a quick suggestion of H&R as the brand.

I should have been more clear that I was agreeing with your assessment and only recommending the H&R bar for the rear, along with the stock front bar.

Stay safe!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #6
XclusiveF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive Msport

So its recommended, but not required? Thanks for the quick reply. placing my order tonight.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XclusiveF30 View Post
So its recommended, but not required? Thanks for the quick reply. placing my order tonight.
I recommend you feel the car out with just the B16 first. If you feel like there's not enough rotation in corners then add a larger rear bar.

Appreciate 2
_das_bae_374.50
johnung4526.50
      06-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
I recommend you feel the car out with just the B16 first. If you feel like there's not enough rotation in corners then add a larger rear bar.
Do you recommend upgrading shocks and struts at some point paired with H&R sport springs? I already have these installed and would rather avoid coilovers in the future if springs+shocks/struts will have similar effect on handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
ktw
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 f31 328i xDrive

I currently have B16 Komforts on an F31 xDrive with stock way bars and there is no fitment issue, as other have stated. Farkle is quite right that the stiffer front springs (accounting for motion ratios) results in some less-than-desirable characteristics: body twisting from slow rear response, understeer, unsettled over bumps. However, body roll is greatly reduced compared to stock suspension, so I'd also agree that trying just the B16s before changing sway bars is the way to go.

Another option to consider is pairing the B16s with a stiffer rear spring to make the rear ride frequency higher than the front. Farkle has great threads on both the rear spring swap (you can use the B16 adjustable perch) and ride frequency. I currently have this type of setup, and I think it is a notable improvement over the springs that came with B16s.
Appreciate 2
FaRKle!4016.00
      06-03-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
Quote:
Do you recommend upgrading shocks and struts at some point paired with H&R sport springs? I already have these installed and would rather avoid coilovers in the future if springs+shocks/struts will have similar effect on handling.
You don't say what year/model/ RWD/xDrive that you have but usually if you lower your car on standard shocks they will wear out quickly. They don't have enough internal piston travel to prevent bottoming out.

Unless your car came with Adaptive shocks which handle a spring drop better. Put your VIN into the mdecoder website and look for an Adaptive line item to find out. When Adaptives leak/wear out the Bilstein B6 Damptronic are a great replacement choice

Two standard shocks that work well with dropped springs are Koni Yellow Sport Adjustable (for comfort) and Bilstein B8 (non-Adjustable)

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #11
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
I haven't seen spring rates of the H&R springs, so it's a bit difficult to tell, but they can likely benefit from firmer damping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktw View Post
I currently have B16 Komforts on an F31 xDrive with stock way bars and there is no fitment issue, as other have stated. Farkle is quite right that the stiffer front springs (accounting for motion ratios) results in some less-than-desirable characteristics: body twisting from slow rear response, understeer, unsettled over bumps. However, body roll is greatly reduced compared to stock suspension, so I'd also agree that trying just the B16s before changing sway bars is the way to go.

Another option to consider is pairing the B16s with a stiffer rear spring to make the rear ride frequency higher than the front. Farkle has great threads on both the rear spring swap (you can use the B16 adjustable perch) and ride frequency. I currently have this type of setup, and I think it is a notable improvement over the springs that came with B16s.
This is a good point! It's cheaper to go with aftermarket springs (both materials cost wise and labor to install) than a rear sway bar. And with the suspension frequency calculator we released, it's even easier for users to see how stiff of a rear spring they might want.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 06-03-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:14 PM   #12
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
You don't need to swap sway bars to fit B16s. After installing the B16s though you might consider moving to a larger rear sway bar since the B16 front springs are so stiff compared to the rear.
Would you say the same about the B14s? B16s are B14s w/ electronic adjustable dampering, right?
Appreciate 0