F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sport mode and puddles
proTUNING Freaks

01-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #23
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

OK

You had me worried there! I was picturing a 5mm steering column attached via some lego!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #24
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Here, this shows how it works and more found at the link below

http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor..._Dynamics1.pdf
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #25
Apl440i or 335d?
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Cool

Thanks

I see what you mean by slight connection now!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:00 AM   #26
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
Here, this shows how it works and more found at the link below

http://www.bimmerpost.com/goodiesfor..._Dynamics1.pdf
An off topic but interesting point on page 35, it says the electronic dampers automatically adjust their settings according to driver manoeuvres. So they're not just set at a certain rate for each driving mode. This would explain why some people can't feel any difference at times and I suppose it also might help answer the original post subject, maybe not so off topic after all :-/
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #27
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
An off topic but interesting point on page 35, it says the electronic dampers automatically adjust their settings according to driver manoeuvres. So they're not just set at a certain rate for each driving mode. This would explain why some people can't feel any difference at times and I suppose it also might help answer the original post subject, maybe not so off topic after all :-/
Interesting, that was what I was expecting when I ticked the box.

However, I've tried to get my adaptive suspension to do this but don't notice it i.e. I've been in comfort then started to drive more aggressively and I don't feel the chassis tighten up. If I flick the switch to sport, yes, it makes a massive difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 05:42 AM   #28
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
Interesting, that was what I was expecting when I ticked the box.

However, I've tried to get my adaptive suspension to do this but don't notice it i.e. I've been in comfort then started to drive more aggressively and I don't feel the chassis tighten up. If I flick the switch to sport, yes, it makes a massive difference.
Possibly got this round my t!ts but I think it's an instantaneous reaction, if you suddenly swerve in comfort it will react to that one situation then resort back, not put you into a sportier mode. You'll never notice a difference because it will do the same thing, every time. The comfort and sport settings just give it a base parameter to work from.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #29
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

ASS still activates in Sport mode in mine - not tried it with the lever to the left mind

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #30
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
ASS still activates in Sport mode in mine - not tried it with the lever to the left mind
Yes I realised this! Put it into Sport and it still cut out at the lights!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #31
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
No cut out in Sport mode on mine irrespective of where the lever is.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #32
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI
Having read the manual I'm still a bit uncertain what the settings really mean when setting up the sport mode??? Can anyone break it down for a beginner like me and maybe recommend what I should change it to?
I've had a go in sport mode with the gear shift over to the left and that makes everything very rapid
TIA
Okey dokes I have it set with just suspension on Sport so this means following -

Eco Pro - never use as nothing your right foot and a little common sense can't better

Comfort - ASS on (I could disable altogether with coding but I don't mind it), suspension on comfort, steering light and normal throttle response (2nd turbo takes a while to spool).

Sport - all that changes is suspension stiffens and steering gets heavier. Drivetrain still the same. To be honest, for most scenarios of fast progress, with the torque of 335d, this is fine. DSC and reaction behave as in Comfort

Sport + - as above with Sport but also now mapping on throttle response changes dramatically with 2nd turbo spooling pretty much immediately. DSC is now relaxed a little allowing you a reasonable slip angle before coming into play. Gearbox will tend to be in one gear lower at all times.

Gearbox D - you can at any point manually change but if left, the gearbox will go back to D.

Gearbox S - will drop down a gear lower (so if you're in Sport + that'll be two gears lower). Main advantage is now it will not go back to auto when you use paddles. Only REALLY annoying thing is if you kickdown, if it can change down it will. It shouldn't do that as could really leave you in shit in on limit (yes I know naughty to suggest on queens highway). Have to consciously never go past kickdown point.

DSC off - on adaptive will chose sport suspension and steering. you can also knock gearbox into Sport. However it will NOT put drivetrain into Sport which is a shame. Suppose most will never really turn DSC off but it is a shame.

Apart from that and fact that gear shifts are unnecessarily thumpy in sports gearbox modes (oh and the kickdown issue), it's not half bad.

Hope that helps!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:02 PM   #33
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Thanks for this gtsussex. Although I'm still not sure what boxes I should tick in sport setup??? Sorry for being dumb but what actually happens/changes if I untick a box??? Is it that noticeable? I'm only at 900miles so still being a tad cautious!
I have adaptive btw...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #34
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Great description Guy of the different modes.

However, doesn't just Sport mode give a better throttle response? Else this mode would do virtually nothing for the guys who have no adaptive?

I thought Sport mode does seem a little more responsive, to me.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #35
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

And does Sport+ mode change down the gear, even if Sport is configured for chassis only? (I must admit, not played around with Sport+ that much!)

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #36
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

The drivetrain is only the same in Sport if you've turned changing it off, surely?

Also you can tell what the steering is like with the electric steering off as it gets disabled when the engine cuts out with ASS. I noticed this when stopped at some lights and I guess tried to turn the wheel a tad as I took my foot off the brake as used to my old 330d starting to roll instantly but the engine hadn't quite kicked in.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #37
JohnM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport PPK

The air intake is set very low, so going through puddles could cause up to £12k of damage to your 6 cylinder engine if it sucks up plenty of water popped into my local dealer the other day, after the recent floods they had 5 f30's in with lunched engines, so take it steady
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #38
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
However, doesn't just Sport mode give a better throttle response?
I thought Sport mode does seem a little more responsive, to me.
Yes, on mine sport gives a more immediate/linear throttle response. Easy way to check is to switch to this mode when you are driving with a light throttle and the car lurches forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #39
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
The air intake is set very low, so going through puddles could cause up to £12k of damage to your 6 cylinder engine if it sucks up plenty of water popped into my local dealer the other day, after the recent floods they had 5 f30's in with lunched engines, so take it steady
Oh dear! I haven't checked but do you know how high off the ground the intake is?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:11 PM   #40
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

Going to ask a really stupid question but how do you alter the setting for sport mode etc ? To set it to chassis or transmission etc?

I haven't had chance to play about with all the menus yet!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #41
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep

There's a button nr the gearstick which switches the mode from Eco Pro to Comfort to Sport to Sport +.

If you want the gearbox in sport mode, just push the gearstick to the left.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #42
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
There's a button nr the gearstick which switches the mode from Eco Pro to Comfort to Sport to Sport +.

If you want the gearbox in sport mode, just push the gearstick to the left.
I think he is asking how you configure the Sport button to be:

Chassis Only OR
Chassis and Drivetrain

I cant remember and I'm not digging out the handbook this time of night!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:44 AM   #43
alibonyad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I think he is asking how you configure the Sport button to be:

Chassis Only OR
Chassis and Drivetrain

I cant remember and I'm not digging out the handbook this time of night!
Yes this is what I meant! I had a quick look on the iDrive this morning but couldn't see anything. I don't have the handbook to hand at the minute.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #44
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
Thanks for this gtsussex. Although I'm still not sure what boxes I should tick in sport setup??? Sorry for being dumb but what actually happens/changes if I untick a box??? Is it that noticeable? I'm only at 900miles so still being a tad cautious!
I have adaptive btw...
You can select in the settings on iDrive whether you want just the suspension and steering (if you've got variable steering) or that AND the drivetrain.

Some like having the drivetrain ticked so it drops a gear and has sharper throttle response. If you've ticked it, will also stop ASS.

I find with the 335d, I've got so much torque that it's unnecessary and I only want the dampers and steering to firm up. I can still make indecent relaxed cross-country progress.

I then leave Sport + for playtime so for me that's when the drivetrain changes. Combined with fact DSC is relaxed, car takes on a whole new persona and my driving changes accordingly so it's kept for special occasions (usually wet roundabouts )

Everyone has their own preference. One thing to note for people without options ticked. If you don't have variable steering, this won't change regardless of what you press. If you don't have adaptive suspension, the damping will not change either. All that will change when you hit the Sport button is the drivetrain (lower gear and sharper throttle response). The difference then between that and Sport + would be the relaxing of the DSC.

The gearbox settings then remain totally separate. Go manual in D regardless of what mode you're in and if you leave it, it will go back to D. Go into Sport Auto, it'll drop a gear relative to mode you're in and it will hold gears EXCEPT frustratingly it will kickdown if you press down hard enough and there's room to drop a gear (which often is if you're riding torque and short shifting in slippery conditions).
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0