F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Does anyone know aftermarket Piston Rings that fit the B58?
ARMA SPEED

01-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #1
MD20
Rep
Drives: Alpina B5 & BMW F20

Arrow Does anyone know aftermarket Piston Rings that fit the B58?

Hello @all,

I am currently about to rebuild a used B58 engine I've bought that was sold to me "working and good condition" but had metal shavings etc. but that's a story for another day.

I wanted to know if there are any aftermarket Piston Rings or maybe directly from Mahle? They must be the supplier I think for BMW anyways. I can't seem to find anything clearly. I think I found accidentaly a offer from a Chinese seller that sells "B58 Piston Rings" but when I check the BMW OE reference number I find out that they only fit to B48 engines I think it was.

Here is the number from Mahle: 081 RS 00107 0N0

Here is the Parts Number that should fit to the engine: 11258637991

Engine code: B58B30A

Thanks in advance!

By the way: This is my second engine purchase and the first one was also in bad condition.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

There are aftermarket rings to go with the aftermarket pistons. I don't have a link off hand.

I think the bigger question is what is wrong with the "new" engine and what are you doing to fix it, just piston rings?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:29 PM   #3
MD20
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
There are aftermarket rings to go with the aftermarket pistons. I don't have a link off hand.

I think the bigger question is what is wrong with the "new" engine and what are you doing to fix it, just piston rings?
I am planing on running stock pistons for now.

The "new" engine has particles in the oil which looks like bearing material. It also had the Oil Filter problem where it just snapped off and is stuck in the oil filter housing. If the crankshaft or block is not salvageable I will just buy a used block or crankshaft and build it my self as I am sick of constantly buying engines tbh that are either fcked or need re work anyway eventho they are sold as good working engines. I got some new spare parts laying around from the first engine too that I was planing on replacing etc. so after I am hopefully done I got a really good engine that's ready to roll.

I am just thinking how to hone the engine as it is LDS coated and I am not sure how much material there is actually on the cylinder walls. Or is maybe a flex hone enough? Just want to freshen it up a bit. No big scorings or anything, checked it with my borescope already.

EDIT: The correct word is deglazing. English is not my first and not even my second language so I am sorry if some stuff sounds like giberish

Last edited by MD20; 01-16-2022 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 07:39 PM   #4
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD20 View Post
I am planing on running stock pistons for now.

The "new" engine has particles in the oil which looks like bearing material. It also had the Oil Filter problem where it just snapped off and is stuck in the oil filter housing. If the crankshaft or block is not salvageable I will just buy a used block or crankshaft and build it my self as I am sick of constantly buying engines tbh that are either fcked or need re work anyway eventho they are sold as good working engines. I got some new spare parts laying around from the first engine too that I was planing on replacing etc. so after I am hopefully done I got a really good engine that's ready to roll.

I am just thinking how to hone the engine as it is LDS coated and I am not sure how much material there is actually on the cylinder walls. Or is maybe a flex hone enough? Just want to freshen it up a bit. No big scorings or anything, checked it with my borescope already.

EDIT: The correct word is deglazing. English is not my first and not even my second language so I am sorry if some stuff sounds like giberish
I don't think you can hone the cylinder walls. The LDS coating is very thin. You can try reaching out to p2tuned or Ghassan to have the block sleeved.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #5
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

I'm not sure what your experience with building engines is, but I think you need to look more into this engine. You can't hone the cylinders like a normal block for the reason above. It's not a good idea to separate the block and mix/match crankshafts.

Besides having metal in your oil, why do you want to change the Pistons/rings? Have you confirmed you cracked a ring? Or even that you spun a bearing? Have you put a scope in any cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #6
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

How did you end up with this engine with metal particles and who sold it to you?
      01-30-2022, 03:36 PM   #7
MD20
Rep

First of, sorry for the late reply. Was super bussy and sick for a few days thanks to winter time.

Well anyways I have good and bad news, the engine was previously sabotaged by someone. The particles where conveniently placed in the oil filter housing but the engine it self is in really good shape. The Oil filter housing looked like it seeped a bit of oil when I got it but I never thought anything of it.

All bearings, pistons, ring lands, crankshaft etc. where spotless. It only had quiet some carbon build up on the pistons but still ok. The only thing I want to re-check again is the oil pump.

I am a mechanic my self and even if I don't rebuild engines all the time I know the basics at least. And yes you can mix and match crankshafts etc. from other engines. You just have to check the bearing size and use the right size for example.

So if anyone can source me some piston rings other then BMW that would be great. The one through BMW cost a arm and a leg for just one piston lol.

If not I will just re use the old ones.

Also after speaking with many machinists one gave me some insight to the coating and it's only 0.2mm thick at best so I left it as is and didn't even deglazed it.

Maybe when I got some time I will upload pics of the rebuild of my engine.

I am right now at the stage of de carbonizing the pistons and polishing it.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep

I still don't understand why you want new piston rings. If they are fine keep using them. Especially since you can't deglaze/home the walls.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:12 PM   #9
MD20
Rep

Does anyone have the ring gap measurments of these engines? Want to re check it before assembly. Engine code is B58B30A

Thanks!
Appreciate 0