F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turner Motorsport F3x N55 Valved Exhaust Review (with sound clips)
GetBMWParts

11-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Turner Motorsport F3x N55 Valved Exhaust Review (with sound clips)

Hey everyone, I mentioned in another thread that I’d be doing a full review of the valved cat-back exhaust from Turner Motorsport for the F3x N55. This is that review I’ve now had a few hours of seat time with the exhaust installed, and feel like I’ve gotten a well-rounded idea of what it’s about and how it behaves on the car. So, here we go. Decibel testing chart, pictures, and sound clips are all at the bottom of this post.

Build quality, finish, and fitment: The Turner system gets top marks in this category. I was a little worried about the quality, as many people said Turner sort of “fell off” after their dramatic acquisition by ECS, but this was certainly not my experience. The stainless is really nice, the welds are great, and the fitment was perfect. All the pipes slid together perfectly, as you’d expect from a high-quality exhaust. I was able to get it installed in only a couple hours on jack stands in my garage (albeit with my Dad, not by myself). Even if your mechanical experience is limited though, I wouldn’t shy away from installing it yourself. It fit like a glove and was very easy to install. Only tools need are basic sockets, torx, and preferably an electric impact for those unfailingly rusty bolts. I know ease of install isn’t necessarily specific to this exhaust, but it should speak to the fact that the R&D was adequate in that all the pipes bend in the right spots, the DP connection was the right size etc. 10/10 here, see pics attached to get an idea of what the system looks like for yourself.

Design of the system: I think it’s important to note with any exhaust system how it’s actually designed: what sort of connections and flex joints and clamps it uses/comes with, how the muffler is laid out, how smooth the bends are etc. etc. Again, I think the turner system gets top marks in this category. You can see that all the bends are very smooth, more so than stock (especially right after the downpipe), and the flex joint they use in that area is, in my opinion, preferable to the metal weave you see on some other systems (or at least what I saw on other N2x systems from my old 328i) as these tend to come apart and leak after time, in my experience. Another quick note, the clamps that they supply are high quality, not some cheapo weak clamps that I've seen supplied with other (albeit non-BMW) systems.

One important note about the design of this system relates to the muffler. You can see that there is a Y at the muffler inlet, and this is where the valve is located. One side of the Y is for valve open operation, and the other side is for valve closed. This means that the valve is on the opposite side than it is on the stock system, and a valve extension harness is required and supplied. I routed the extension wire behind the heat shield, and it’s secure there and very much out of the way… I’d recommend doing the same if you end up getting this system yourself. I’m generally impartial towards this design decision, and to be honest, I highly doubt it makes any difference in sound as some folks suggested it might, and think it’s there exclusively to serve the function of the valve. Either way, something unique about this system that’s worth noting.

Also worth noting, the system is listed online as coming with 3.5” tips. I placed my order through the phone with ECS and asked for the 4” tips, which they swapped out at no additional cost. So, if you want the 4” tips too, make sure you talk with someone as they don’t come with the standard kit.

And one small gripe in this category: the stock exhaust has a place to thread in the screws for the valve motor on the valve motor bracket, the Turner system does not. I had to use some nuts that I had laying around in order to secure the motor to the bracket. Something the keep in mind.

Sound and Volume: Alright, now for what is almost definitely the thing people are, understandably, most interested in: how it sounds! Overall, the exhaust is not super loud, and I would imagine that it falls on the tamer end of aftermarket systems for the N55 powered F3x cars. That said, I’ve not heard any other exhausts for this car in person, so that could be completely wrong. So, take that claim with a pretty large grain of salt or two. Either way, it’s not the loudest system out there, but I’ll be damned if it doesn’t sound reaaally good. Whether that’s just the character of the N55 or this specific system is up in the air, but regardless, it sounds fantastic. The idle sound is deep and pulses with a resonance that you can literally feel in the air, it’s pretty cool to just stand behind the car at idle and listen to and feel it. In around-town cruising and under light throttle, you can tell that the car has an aftermarket exhaust, but it’s quiet enough to not upset neighbors or be obnoxious. Even in these settings though, it has a markedly deeper tone (and more volume) than stock that makes even around-town driving more pleasurable. Under partial throttle and more aggressive accelerations, it really starts to tell you it’s there as the volume is noticeably louder than stock, and it just has that sonorous growl that the N55 is known for. It’s a really pleasant thing to listen to when you start going not WOT, but with just enough throttle to start accelerating faster than you probably need to. In all honesty, I think these 40%-60%, 3000rpm-5000rpm applications are where this exhaust shines. I’m going to get repetitive if I keep talking about it, but it just sounds right in these situations. The right volume without being obnoxious, and a really nice rich tone and depth. Now, that’s not to say that it doesn’t sound good at WOT. I think if it were louder, I’d prefer WOT to partial throttle, but because engine noise increases more at WOT (obviously), the exhaust can get drowned out in these situations by the engine. You can still hear it at WOT, but the exhaust noise isn’t front and center at WOT like it is under partial throttle. WOT still sounds great and is louder than stock, but it’s not the best way to enjoy this exhaust, IMO. Overall, I’m really pleased with how this system sounds.

The valve: One of the interesting things about this exhaust compared to say, AWE or Borla, is that it retains the stock valve functionality (and uses both tips at all times, which is cool). Generally speaking, I wouldn’t place all that much value on the valve UNLESS you’re really concerned about drone. In my experience, the only difference the valve makes is in drone. With the valve close (i.e. in comfort mode) there is no drone at all when cruising at any speeds and in any gear. This is not the case in sport mode (i.e. valve open) where you do get some drone when cruising at highway speeds. It’s a similar story with very light throttle, low rpm accelerations. In sport mode, you get some resonance and slight drone in these situations, and while you still do get some in comfort mode with the valve closed, it’s cut down by I’d estimate 80%. So the valve is very effective in fighting drone, but it doesn’t really do much volume-wise, as far as I can tell. You’ll have to take my word on this too, as the valve is always open at idle except when cold starting, so I couldn’t do any decibel testing on this (and you can see that comfort and sport have effectively the same values in the chart, because the valve is open in both cases).

Decibel testing: At the recommendation of thejeremyman9 , I did some decibel testing of both the stock exhaust and the Turner exhaust to compare. All rev tests were taken from 3ft behind the center of the rear of the car. I used the Decibel X app and my iPhone 11 pro for this testing. You can look at the chart for yourself, but the general theme is that the Turner exhaust is pretty significantly louder than stock in all scenarios.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 7.12.18 PM.png
Views: 2460
Size:  490.7 KB

Conclusions: Overall, I’m very happy with this exhaust. The overall quality is great, it sounds great, it has an effective drone-fighting valve, and it’s not so loud that when I inevitably pair it with a downpipe my neighbors will file HOA complaints against me. It’s made driving the car a much more fun and enjoyable experience. So, if you’re in the market for a high-quality system that will wake your N55 up a bit, without also waking up your sleeping neighbors, give Turner a shot. However, if you want something really loud, this system probably isn’t for you, and you might be better suited by a muffler delete or some other, louder cat-back systems.

Pictures and Videos!:

Name:  IMG_2833.jpeg
Views: 2430
Size:  857.3 KB Name:  IMG_2832.jpeg
Views: 2463
Size:  753.1 KB Name:  IMG_2835.jpeg
Views: 2383
Size:  454.7 KB Name:  IMG_2834.jpeg
Views: 2394
Size:  888.7 KB Name:  IMG_2837.jpeg
Views: 2374
Size:  400.6 KB Name:  IMG_2838.jpeg
Views: 2364
Size:  335.5 KB Name:  IMG_2839.jpeg
Views: 2347
Size:  354.1 KB Name:  IMG_2841.jpeg
Views: 2365
Size:  327.7 KB Name:  IMG_2840.jpeg
Views: 2371
Size:  298.4 KB Name:  IMG_2842.jpeg
Views: 2362
Size:  308.1 KB
      11-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Update 5/4/2021: Video of the exhaust paired to a catless downpipe:

Last edited by rjd_F30; 05-05-2021 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
AsianBill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Awesome review man. Car sounds great. Really nice write up, and great video covered everything I would want to hear.

Think this is the exhaust I'll pick up. I was stuck on mpe or AWE, but didn't want to cut the stock exhaust and didn't want to lost the valve. Like you said; it's loud but not loud enough to piss off neighbors, and should pair well with a downpipe.

Glad it went well. Thanks for the review, much appreciated

CD919 Custom E40/flex fuel tune | catless downpipe | TU Pump | XHP Stage 3 | MHD flexfuel kit
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      11-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBill View Post
Awesome review man. Car sounds great. Really nice write up, and great video covered everything I would want to hear.

Think this is the exhaust I'll pick up. I was stuck on mpe or AWE, but didn't want to cut the stock exhaust and didn't want to lost the valve. Like you said; it's loud but not loud enough to piss off neighbors, and should pair well with a downpipe.

Glad it went well. Thanks for the review, much appreciated
Thank you! Glad the review was helpful. If you do end up with this exhaust, feel free to come back and leave your impressions, the more reviews the better!
      11-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Nice review, i'm sure it will inform/influence some people's decisions. I wish i could see inside that muffler! Too bad no one will cut this open like the OEM muffler

Also really curious to see how it sounds with a catted DP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #6
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Nice review, i'm sure it will inform/influence some people's decisions. I wish i could see inside that muffler! Too bad no one will cut this open like the OEM muffler

Thanks, that's the goal! Hopefully others won't have go into the purchase blind.

I also really want to see inside the muffler! I want to know exactly what's going on in there in valve closed vs. open operation. Kind of interesting that volume isn't affected much but drone is... significantly. I'll cut it open if someone buys me a new one

Clips of it with a downpipe are bound to come eventually
      02-16-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
El Lechero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd_F30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post

Thanks, that's the goal! Hopefully others won't have go into the purchase blind.

I also really want to see inside the muffler! I want to know exactly what's going on in there in valve closed vs. open operation. Kind of interesting that volume isn't affected much but drone is... significantly. I'll cut it open if someone buys me a new one

Clips of it with a downpipe are bound to come eventually
Thanks! I went into this purchase 90% blind. Was able to get a clip from an ECS employee that had this on their F30 and was hoping the best. I haven't installed mine yet. Just waiting on warmer weather. Overall looks great. I didn't know about the exhaust tip thing and kind of want to see if they'll take mine back and send me the others haha.

Regarding the internals of the muffler, I did snake a camera in a little bit.. it looks like that there's a pipe that goes through and baffles it while valves closed and then when it's open, it just dumps into the muffler itself. If that makes sense. I'll see if I can get a better video for you guys.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      02-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #8
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lechero View Post
Thanks! I went into this purchase 90% blind. Was able to get a clip from an ECS employee that had this on their F30 and was hoping the best. I haven't installed mine yet. Just waiting on warmer weather. Overall looks great. I didn't know about the exhaust tip thing and kind of want to see if they'll take mine back and send me the others haha.

Regarding the internals of the muffler, I did snake a camera in a little bit.. it looks like that there's a pipe that goes through and baffles it while valves closed and then when it's open, it just dumps into the muffler itself. If that makes sense. I'll see if I can get a better video for you guys.
if you end up putting an aftermarket DP on I think we would all really appreciate some sound clips after you get it installed, im curious if it would be too much like the AWE with the DP (too loud/much sound is subjective I know) or just right.
      02-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #9
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
if you end up putting an aftermarket DP on I think we would all really appreciate some sound clips after you get it installed, im curious if it would be too much like the AWE with the DP (too loud/much sound is subjective I know) or just right.
I really doubt it will be too loud with a downpipe, having lived with it for a few months now. I think that the benefit of this exhaust is that it probably will pair well to a downpipe whereas AWE gets a bit too rowdy paired to a downpipe for some people.
      02-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #10
redbullfan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 TR X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
The video probably doesn't do it justice, but it doesn't sound that different from stock.

Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      02-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullfan View Post
The video probably doesn't do it justice, but it doesn't sound that different from stock.
The video does make the difference with stock seem smaller than it is... though like I said in the OP, it's not a super dramatic change like you get with a muffler delete or something. It's definitely a more subdued option as far as exhausts go. That said, it has seemed to have gotten louder after a few thousand miles, perhaps it's time to update with a new "broken in" video.
      02-16-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
The video does make the difference with stock seem smaller than it is... though like I said in the OP, it's not a super dramatic change like you get with a muffler delete or something. It's definitely a more subdued option as far as exhausts go. That said, it has seemed to have gotten louder after a few thousand miles, perhaps it's time to update with a new "broken in" video.
Yea breaking it in would make a difference. Any plans on getting a DP? that'd make it open up a whole lot more

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #13
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea breaking it in would make a difference. Any plans on getting a DP? that'd make it open up a whole lot more
Yes, definitely getting a downpipe probably this spring. Haven't decided catted vs. catless, but one or the other is coming.
      02-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #14
El Lechero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Sorry about the quality. This is the video I got from an ECS employee for their F32 with the turner catback system. Now, I have no clue what else is done to the car. Just the exhaust. I don't know anything about what mode it's in. Just figured I'd get another video out. Looking forward to hearing mine in the spring!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #15
redbullfan
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, definitely getting a downpipe probably this spring. Haven't decided catted vs. catless, but one or the other is coming.
Catless is the way to go lol sounds way better

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #16
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 6mt

Hey rjd_F30 and El Lechero (and anyone else who might have bought this exhaust!) I just ordered the axleback portion, and was hoping you might be able to help me out.

I was hoping maybe you noticed when you laid the new catback next to the stock exhaust, that to install just the axleback, would I need to cut the stock exhaust at the little dimple?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #17
El Lechero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranga View Post
Hey rjd_F30 and El Lechero (and anyone else who might have bought this exhaust!) I just ordered the axleback portion, and was hoping you might be able to help me out.

I was hoping maybe you noticed when you laid the new catback next to the stock exhaust, that to install just the axleback, would I need to cut the stock exhaust at the little dimple?
Hey, from my understanding, all axle backs on the F3x cars you need to cut at that dimple before the muffler. I'm out of town but I will check out my exhausts tomorrow and get back to you. I have not installed mine yet but I'll measure it out for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:26 PM   #18
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lechero View Post
Quote:

Hey, from my understanding, all axle backs on the F3x cars you need to cut at that dimple before the muffler. I'm out of town but I will check out my exhausts tomorrow and get back to you. I have not installed mine yet but I'll measure it out for you!
Yeah I know most, if not all, axlebacks have you cut at the dimple, but the extra anxiety-ridden part of my brain is afraid that since the exhaust was first sold as a catback, that their midpipe might be a different length than the stock one. I'm almost definitely overthinking it, but I just don't want to make an expensive mistake.

Thanks in advance for taking a look!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:05 AM   #19
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Good question, I would assume that you would cut it at the dimple as is the case with most axle backs, but I would definitely take some measurements first to be extra careful. Unfortunately I didn't note where the dimple was in relation to the Turner system because installed it as a catback... hopefully the other member can answer your question, but you can always call Turner and ask as well if all else fails.
      02-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #20
El Lechero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3...stallation.pdf

Hopefully that link works. This was on their website. I'm not entirely sure because with all this snow, I haven't had a chance to get underneath my car. I measured out the muffler to the end of the connecting Y-pipe which was roughly 11" out. I would assume the dimple is around there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
oranga87.00
      02-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #21
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome, thanks for the help, I'll keep that number in mind!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #22
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

I'd like to know if when the valve is open, does it acts like a straight pipe? This would then be the same as the Valvetronic Aftermarket Exhaust system.

I doubt any catback is really that loud. I had the armytrix catback on the stock downpipe. Once I went catless the volume tripled.
Appreciate 0