F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust Advice?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
F36 435i M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

Exhaust Advice?

Hi guys

Just looking for some advice on maybe the best option to go with here. My car currently has a res delete and a sports cat downpipe, it sounds good but I'm after more sound (deeper sound)
  1. I was originally looking at getting a Remus system installed on my 435i, but as I was told by the garage I can't just buy the Remus back box and I need to buy the tailpipes too, it will set me back about 1.2k including the labour for the install. It's far too much for me to pay out currently so I do want to avoid this option unless any sales are coming up.
  2. After speaking to another garage, they quoted me £900 for a catback system which includes deleting the back box and installing a performance resonator which will help with drone and give good sound. (valve system removed)
  3. Or my third option which is the cheapest is to do a back box delete and then put the stock resonator back on. I can't find any videos online of the N55 engine paired with a sports cat with this though so its hard to tell if it's worth doing... (all the videos online are catless) From what I've read, putting the stock resonator back on would be a must as the drone would be quite bad.

Any advice on what would be the best sound wise for the price would be great! Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:55 AM   #2
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by F36 435i M View Post
Hi guys

Just looking for some advice on maybe the best option to go with here. My car currently has a res delete and a sports cat downpipe, it sounds good but I'm after more sound (deeper sound)
  1. I was originally looking at getting a Remus system installed on my 435i, but as I was told by the garage I can't just buy the Remus back box and I need to buy the tailpipes too, it will set me back about 1.2k including the labour for the install. It's far too much for me to pay out currently so I do want to avoid this option unless any sales are coming up.
  2. After speaking to another garage, they quoted me £900 for a catback system which includes deleting the back box and installing a performance resonator which will help with drone and give good sound. (valve system removed)
  3. Or my third option which is the cheapest is to do a back box delete and then put the stock resonator back on. I can't find any videos online of the N55 engine paired with a sports cat with this though so its hard to tell if it's worth doing... (all the videos online are catless) From what I've read, putting the stock resonator back on would be a must as the drone would be quite bad.

Any advice on what would be the best sound wise for the price would be great! Thanks in advance.
Be patient, buy used. Remus, MPE, AWE, etc; lots of good options. Just wait for a part out to come along. If I've learned nothing else it's that finding a "cheap" alternative or something "good enough" never ends up being much more than regret.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:14 PM   #3
RothF30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I agree that waiting for the part is the best way to do it. Save up for a Remus or MPE axleback, you'll thank yourself later for waiting to do it the right way. I mention those two exhausts because you may want to keep your exhaust valve functionality to keep the sound tame when you want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothF30 View Post
I agree that waiting for the part is the best way to do it. Save up for a Remus or MPE axleback, you'll thank yourself later for waiting to do it the right way. I mention those two exhausts because you may want to keep your exhaust valve functionality to keep the sound tame when you want it to be.
+1

Save up for REMUS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2022, 06:35 PM   #5
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Hope this gives some kind of perspective.. I spent 12 months trying different home made setups to find a custom sound option.

p.s I haven't embedded the first two links as it won't show the time selection I've given, otherwise you'll be sat for 10 minutes per video ha!

youtu.be/NOixVImXgrw?t=101
This was stock cat, resonator delete and MPE with the a cutout valve before the back box.. so essentially a muffler delete.

youtu.be/ZZwEoPCy9Xk?t=283
This was catless dp, cutout valve (open) before resonator and MPE.. the cutout valve for this was placed before the resonator so most sound came from the middle of the car

This is what I have now - catless dp, a new oem valve on a y pipe that offers 2 routes, 1) resonator and MPE, 2) skip the resonator and straight into the tailpipes. The bypass route is done on a 2.5" pipe until it reaches the back box and helps tone the exhaust to be a tiny bit more higher pitched, without that you get a really undistinguished low exhaust note.
      01-13-2022, 08:38 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 04:35 PM   #7
10secf30
@10secf30
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F36 435i M View Post
Hi guys

http://https://f30.bimmerpost.com/fo....php?t=1888626

Worth a try
Appreciate 0