F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [Help!] BMW F30 Front Brake Reset Not Possible
proTUNING Freaks

10-13-2017, 01:57 AM   #1
lawrencedchan
Rep
Drives: F30 316i (2013)

Exclamation [Help!] BMW F30 Front Brake Reset Not Possible

Make: BMW
Model: 316i
Year: 2013

I replaced the front brake pads and rotors, along with the brake wear sensor. However, I encountered the warning message in red text:
"Brake system."
"Drive moderately"

On the iDrive screen, the following warning message appears:
"Continue journey at a moderate speed. Brake pads need to be replaced. Have brake pads checked by Service."

Then, when I tried to reset the front brake pads km counter by pressing down the trip reset button, the following message in yellow text appears:
"------ km"
"Reset not possible"

Photos showing the new front brake wear sensor are attached to this post.

Could anyone help me to solve this problem?

I didn't have this problem at all when I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
violin_ale
Ale Violin
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i M 2013

Hello, Iīm with the same issue on my F30 320i 2017, iīve changed the brake pads, the mechanical said the rotors and the sensors are still good for another pads cycle,
The car is with 31 k (kms) and itīs interesting that itīs showing i still have 1200 kms for change the front brake pads, but the rear pads doensnīt show nothing on the panel, but they already gone away, itīs almost gets the rotors and the sensor did not acuse in the control panel. I got this car brand new and it still on the warranty!
Got on the BMW techs and they said they can only change for a new BMW (genuine) pad sets and, because when they sell it on the Dealer, the system intends that the VIN number and reset it automatically remotelly!! I think they donīt want to reset the control panel via OBD-2. What can I do ??? Any ideas ??
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Did you release the handbrake? More info here:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=846718
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If the sensor was tripped you have to replace the sensor. If the sensor did not trip you shouldn't have this issue. My rear sensor tripped and I couldn't do a reset until I replaced it. My front sensor didn't trip, i changed the pads before that happened. I did a reset of the interval, but I didn't do it with the dash button, I used my Foxwell NT510. If you do your own work you need to have one.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:49 AM   #5
Marco77
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d Msport Touring Japan R

Did you ever resolve this issue? As I have the same problem replaced rear pads and sensor but still get the red warning about the brakes and reset not possible when using the Tripometer button on the dash
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
00e46sedan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16’ F13 640i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco77 View Post
Did you ever resolve this issue? As I have the same problem replaced rear pads and sensor but still get the red warning about the brakes and reset not possible when using the Tripometer button on the dash
I had this issue and almost bought a sensor since its only one sensor in the front and one in the rear i figured why not,i then decided to take matters into my own hands and turn the wheels all the way right and check the whole cable thats attached to the brake pad sensor that then runs to the wheel well wall. Turned out that the cable detached itself from the latch that your suppose to clip it in to,i then proceeded to reset and worked good after that,so any little pinch or if it detached itself from the cable holder it can send a bad signal.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
super01
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 330d

I've got the same issue. Changing cable hasnt helped. I will be trying a clear codes program then try again
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
bcm21136
BMW Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30

Any update
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 02:10 PM   #9
hpopmds
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Any news? I've tried with Carly, but no sucess
Any software for PC or android to reset the brakepads?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #10
hpopmds
Private
Rep

SOLVED
With "ISTA D" and ENET cable (Y) yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss
I've tried everything before (Instrument cluster menu, OBD ELM327 with Carly, E-SYS, BMW tools, etc.) with no success.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:14 AM   #11
myszano1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmendes3 View Post
SOLVED
I've tried everything before (Instrument cluster menu, OBD ELM327 with Carly, E-SYS, BMW tools, etc.) with no success.
please share how u did this by ista
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #12
hpopmds
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myszano1 View Post
please share how u did this by ista
You need to follow the steps:
a) Vehicle Management
b) Service Functions
c) Maintenance and pre-delivery check
d) Reset CBS condition based service
e) CBS reset UDS
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
PghPizzaMan
Rep
Drives: 2013 320ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmendes3 View Post
SOLVED
Where did you download ISTA? I downloaded it one time and it wouidn't work...even purchased the cable.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
hpopmds
Private
Rep

Google it. It's everywere.
Or may you try the android app "OBD AC tools for BMW". This has an option to reset brakes, but i am not sure if it works. Send us feedback.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.bmw&hl=en_ZA
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:42 PM   #15
hpopmds
Private
Rep

UPDATE: brake reset is possible with Bimmerlink app, and with a simple bluethoot OBD adapter.
TIP: If you want to change the brake sensor (before it became burnt) you can do it with you car closed for some minutes. If you do it with the car "awakened" the ECU detects the change and stores an error.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 11:35 AM   #16
Marathon1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328D

No need to connect to OBDC 2 port. Google for “reset BMW brake sensor”. Here is an example

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/bmw-brake-light-service-reset-instructions

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 03:34 PM   #17
Iggy82
Iggy82
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpopmds View Post
UPDATE: brake reset is possible with Bimmerlink app, and with a simple bluethoot OBD adapter.
Can confirm this, although I couldn't get it to work over Bluetooth on my old OBD adapter, but the newer ELM327 style adapters with WiFi (blue/orange) do work. I set the adapter as 'Vgate iCar Wifi' in BimmerLink and the brake service reset worked fine.

With old wear sensor and new pads, I could perform a reset (via button on dash), but it was always unsuccessful. After fitting new wear sensor, I couldn't even do the reset, it just said reset not possible. The reset with BimmerLink worked fine.

Last edited by Iggy82; 05-14-2022 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #18
Iggy82
Iggy82
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpopmds View Post
Or may you try the android app "OBD AC tools for BMW". This has an option to reset brakes, but i am not sure if it works. Send us feedback.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.bmw&hl=en_ZA
This didn't work for me, it connects fine to my OBD adapter, appears to perform a reset successfully, but it doesn't actually work. BimmerLink does work though

Last edited by Iggy82; 05-14-2022 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 11:49 AM   #19
Dombert
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 320D

I recommend Bimmerlink as well.

Service Information said that I had 480 miles left on the front pads when I took the car in for service. Strange, since pads were at 10mm thickness! I had changed the sensor when I changed the pads. The Red warning then came up telling me to drive moderatley before I could get a new sensor. No dashboard reset possible. Stripped out sensor (3rd party OEM quality) and checked it - it was testing ok with full continuity. Installed the replacement sensor (Meyle as the cable sheathing looked much better protection against wire bend breaks) in case the installed one had gone intermittent in the wiring. Tried dashboard reset, and it still came up "reset not possible". Used Bimmerlink on my Android phone to access OBDII and it showed no errors logged. Looked in "Service" and front bake pads showed up as being out. Used the Reset button and it reset the service value to 57000km. Powered car down and then powered it up and all the problems had been solved. Replace in 57000km was recorded in the dashboard vehicle service information screen.

No hard connection links or handbrake off tips tried.

So what causes the random sensor fault is unknown!

I only bought Bimmerlink to reset the battery when I changed this, but its paying its way! Very easy to use with the recommended Bluetooth OBD adapter. Doesnt seem to like my stock of older ELM compatble adapters.
Appreciate 0