F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 Differential Fluid DIY?
ARMA SPEED

02-27-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
juliomadara7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i X-Drive

N55 Differential Fluid DIY?

Can't seem to find any DIY's on a differential fluid change on the N55 engine in our forum. Thought this would be good to reference for others in the future.

Side note: Any difference between those with X-Drive or RWD?

Link any videos/tips down below

Thanks, ///M family.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
Skiddz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X4 MC

I havent done mine yet, but I live by the rule before draining any fluid in a car, I always make sure sure that *first* I can remove or open any fill plug, cap, etc prior to draining the old fluid out. You don’t want to be in the position of having drained your diff and now learn you can’t remove the fill plug to fill it for some reason.
Appreciate 4
Kingpin4386.50
johnung4528.00
Chaos236208.50
      02-27-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddz View Post
I havent done mine yet, but I live by the rule before draining any fluid in a car, I always make sure sure that *first* I can remove or open any fill plug, cap, etc prior to draining the old fluid out. You don’t want to be in the position of having drained your diff and now learn you can’t remove the fill plug to fill it for some reason.
Great advice. So basic yet so important.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

It's a single plug on the rear cover for drain and fill. You'll need a vacuum fluid extractor or hand pump to get it out. Mine was dirty as hell at only 22k so definitely something you want to do a long with other driveline fluids
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
It's a single plug on the rear cover for drain and fill. You'll need a vacuum fluid extractor or hand pump to get it out. Mine was dirty as hell at only 22k so definitely something you want to do a long with other driveline fluids
Optionally you can pull the rear cover to drain the fluid.
      02-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
SilkySmoooth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i MSPORT Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrexia View Post
Optionally you can pull the rear cover to drain the fluid.
You could, but why would you? You would have to reseal it and replace all the bolts. Entirely way more work to do it that way.

It's simple, let's not over complicate it.

1. Open drain/fill plug, there is only 1 on the F30. It fills and drains.
2. Suck out old fluid.
3. Pump in new fluid until it starts to spill from fill hole, with only a small stream of new fluid overflowing.
4 Replace fill plug with new one

Done.
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliomadara7 View Post
Can't seem to find any DIY's on a differential fluid change on the N55 engine in our forum. Thought this would be good to reference for others in the future.

Side note: Any difference between those with X-Drive or RWD?

Link any videos/tips down below

Thanks, ///M family.
Replacing differential fluid is a good thing. I'm modded and plan on changing my differential fluid every 30k miles.

Every F3x has a rear differential with a 1 liter fluid capacity. The car needs to be level so up on a lift is the best way to do it. A differential has many internal moving parts. Get a bottle of the differential fluid recommended by BMW engineers. FCP Euro carries the BMW brand fluids at great prices and covers them with their special replacement warranty. Suction out old fluid and replace with new.

I've been replacing all of my drain/fill plugs with super strong Dimple magnetic plugs to pickup any minuscule metal particles. They are about $35 but that's cheap insurance for such an expensive component.

Remember that every xDrive also has a front differential. It takes a 0.5 liter of its own special BMW fluid, also available from FCP Euro. Same suction and fill procedure. Also recommend a Dimple magnetic plug.

XDrive also has a Transfer Case with its own fluid that should be suctioned and replaced with the same process. It requires to move around a very small suction tip to get about half of the fluid out. So it doesn't hurt to change TC fluid often either. Also add a Dimple magnetic plug.

It's pretty simple to get the correct fluids from FCP Euro and take them to a local independent BMW mechanic. It's much less expensive to pay a reasonable hourly rate to have all of these fluids changed at the same time. Find independents at BimmerShops website.

Also consider changing your auto transmission fluid at 60k miles as recommended by ZF, the transmission manufacturer. FCP Euro sells the complete ZF service kit with fluid, pan and filter.

Check newtis website for detailed procedures.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I think a lift or having the car level on 4 jack stands is probably best.
With the car on only rear jack stands I extracted the fluid, and when I replaced it; it only held about 4/5 liter before seeping out the access hole.
I have to assume that some of the old fluid remains when the car is lifted from the rear only.
(Limited Slip Differential)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
I think a lift or having the car level on 4 jack stands is probably best.
With the car on only rear jack stands I extracted the fluid, and when I replaced it; it only held about 4/5 liter before seeping out the access hole.
I have to assume that some of the old fluid remains when the car is lifted from the rear only.
(Limited Slip Differential)
Definitely agree! I believe the recommendation for the MP LSD, after the breakin fluid change, is every 30k miles. So just try to do that fluid change with the car level. Enjoy that LSD!
Appreciate 2
      11-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #10
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

This guy did a pretty nice diy

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1736681

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfAnEra View Post
Okay we're back again for another DIY!

The patient is a 2012 BMW X3 35i with 81K miles. I have chosen to go with Redline 75w-85, which is equivalent to OEM Part # 83222295532.

Link to fluid here -------> https://www.ecstuning.com/b-redline-...art/50104~red/

NOTE: This same fluid can also be used for the front differential!

Before you start this DIY make sure you have a nice fluid transfer pump. In addition to the pump, for this specific DIY, you'll also want to buy a 90 degree fitting to allow the hose to go into the differential at a downward angle to suck out all of the old fluid.

The one I used can be viewed here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../022253sch01a/

Here is a parts list of everything you'll need for this DIY:

- 1 quart of rear differential fluid
- fluid transfer pump (plus a 90 degree angle fitting)
- ratchet
- 14mm hex socket

The two following pictures are the jacking points as described by BMW. The first picture shows the jacking points, and the second picture is the jack pads underneath the vehicle. Use these as a guide to properly raise and support your X3.

NOTE: Be sure to make sure the car is level once it's raised into the air. This will allow for the proper level of fluid to be put back into the vehicle.

Once the vehicle is in the air, go ahead and grab a drain pan to catch any fluid that may come out when the fill/drain bolt is removed.

Next you'll want to grab your 14mm hex socket and ratchet and remove the fill/drain bolt.

There will most likely be a little fluid that comes out, so be ready with something to catch it.

From here, you'll put your fluid pump hose into the fill/drain hole on the diff in a downward facing direction and suck all of the old fluid out. You should be able to remove roughly 9/10 or 90% of a quart. Once all of the fluid is out, go ahead and pump your new fluid back in until it starts to pour out of the fill/drain hole. At this point you'll want to thread the bolt back into place and torque that sucker to 60Nm. Congratulations! You've just changed your rear diff fluid! Clean everything up and then sit back and have a beer
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Replacing differential fluid is a good thing. I'm modded and plan on changing my differential fluid every 30k miles.

Every F3x has a rear differential with a 1 liter fluid capacity. The car needs to be level so up on a lift is the best way to do it. A differential has many internal moving parts. Get a bottle of the differential fluid recommended by BMW engineers. FCP Euro carries the BMW brand fluids at great prices and covers them with their special replacement warranty. Suction out old fluid and replace with new.

I've been replacing all of my drain/fill plugs with super strong Dimple magnetic plugs to pickup any minuscule metal particles. They are about $35 but that's cheap insurance for such an expensive component.

Remember that every xDrive also has a front differential. It takes a 0.5 liter of its own special BMW fluid, also available from FCP Euro. Same suction and fill procedure. Also recommend a Dimple magnetic plug.

XDrive also has a Transfer Case with its own fluid that should be suctioned and replaced with the same process. It requires to move around a very small suction tip to get about half of the fluid out. So it doesn't hurt to change TC fluid often either. Also add a Dimple magnetic plug.

It's pretty simple to get the correct fluids from FCP Euro and take them to a local independent BMW mechanic. It's much less expensive to pay a reasonable hourly rate to have all of these fluids changed at the same time. Find independents at BimmerShops website.

Also consider changing your auto transmission fluid at 60k miles as recommended by ZF, the transmission manufacturer. FCP Euro sells the complete ZF service kit with fluid, pan and filter.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this, John...just spent hours trying to confirm the capacity of my front Diff!

Hopefully I won't mess up and put transfer case fluid in the front diff and vice versa!

Not looking forward to getting it up on four jack stands for the first time...can you tell me if you jack up from front center jack point, then two stands on jack pads...and follow with the rear jack point (on the diff)?

(Side note--F'n BMW with lifetime fluids and no drain plugs.)

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:20 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Hope this helps!
Thank you for this, John...just spent hours trying to confirm the capacity of my front Diff!

Hopefully I won't mess up and put transfer case fluid in the front diff and vice versa!

Not looking forward to getting it up on four jack stands for the first time...can you tell me if you jack up from front center jack point, then two stands on jack pads...and follow with the rear jack point (on the diff)?

(Side note--F'n BMW with lifetime fluids and no drain plugs.)
This is an excellent video for jacking up the car. If you need more clearance to get your jack under, drive it up on 2" x 12" boards. A flat concrete pad works best. The asphalt outside my house always catches the tiny wheels on my jack. Buy cheap adapters to fit the jack points on Amazon or make your own with rubber hockey pucks and a hacksaw. Buy a good fluid suction device with vary sized tips. Harbor Freight may have something or Schwaben.
Good luck!

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

I hope that diff is as strong as everyone believes to jack from! I probably should get a bigger jack, though my 20 year old craftsman has served me well...except for it leaking!

Thanks for that link!

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0