F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Seat Upgraded with Lumbar Support
proTUNING Freaks

06-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
mtherr
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 iX

Seat Upgraded with Lumbar Support

Hello Group!

Here is my first real contribution...

It did not take long before I discovered I was not comfortable in my new BMW. I did not buy the Executive package which included a backup camera, a garage door opener and lumbar supports in both seats. Just did not think about it... this was a 1500$ option. So, I decided to retrofit the lumbar support components into my driver seat. I found all the required part numbers on RealOEM.com, I ordered the parts and I did the upgrade on a Saturday morning. This project cost me a bit more than 600$.

I know this have been done on various previous BMW models:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494469
http://www.tmk.com/lumbar/index.shtml
http://aircooled.suomalainenverkkoka...uxfw1hj5yq.pdf

These are the parts I ordered. Lumbar support with pump (and valve), switch assembly, 10 pigtails (11 were required), wiring kit. I did not find the part number for the back rest wiring kit (to pump and valve). So, the main wiring kit is optional; the job can be done with a dozen bushing connectors.

The parts are:
61129258232 (wiring) - it contains a full wiring kit for the seat bottom, but not for the valve and pump. Unless I get a complete wiring kit, I would not order this again.
61319276621 (switch module for electric with memory, lumbar, not sport)
52107284041 (lumbar support pad with pump and valve)
52201964201 (little clips to close the seat back panel --- but I did not use them as I prefered the Ford clips)
61130006663 (bushing contacts. I ordered 10, but 11 were needed. If you do not order the wiring set, 10 or 18 should do (depending if you want to have connections to a separate back seat harness). You may also consider a Molex connector

I ordered a connector housing, hoping it would fit the valve, but it did not... I just inserted the pins in the valve connector and the pump.
61130006664 (pin contacts - not required unless you want to make connections underneath the seat to a back seat harness - 4 would be required)

Here is a link to a photo album of this project (with captions for each pictures):
https://picasaweb.google.com/1174324...eat=directlink

Before starting this project make sure you:
- confirm the parts you need on RealOEM
- get the seat wiring diagrams on TIS online (http://www.bmwtis.com/)
- unplug the negative side of the battery; otherwise you will get a driver restraint failure when you plug things back together

Last edited by mtherr; 06-01-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
izen
Rep
Drives: F34

just wonder if there is any wiring diagram that can be shared?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
maax227
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Hello,
Could you please post a wiring diagramm? I have a lot of problem with my lumbar support (retrofit).
Thanks a lot for your help
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #4
davkar
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F31 320D -14

I would also like to get hold of the wiring diagram if possible
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

I'm usually pretty good at finding the right wiring diagrams in rheingold, but this one baffles me somewhat. The key thing is a 10-pin connector on the driver side switch block (attaches to side of seat) - named S153, and it shows that the lumbar control is done "via seat adjustment switch block", but in rheingold, it only shows 6 wires (none for the lumbar wires) in this switch block rather than the full 10 wires.

Still... i'll share what i found. Hopefully, others can chime in and add to it and complete the wiring picture you are looking for.

The OP's initial scription says he needs 11 wires total, but in his google pictures, he seems to indicate he only hooked up 2 wires into the 10-pin connector (where he shows original 10-pin connector and new one). Then in another pic showing his "harness", there appears to be 5 wires shown..

Here's an enlarged version of the wiring diagram

Good luck - this looks like a fun project and a worthwhile retrofit!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:59 AM   #6
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

Hi I have a sport seat with memory but not lumbar, so i got the following parts, but the switch doesn not make any move....

1. Adapter lead, lumbar (61129258214) - it supports Sports seat(S481A) and Lumbar support, driver and passenger(S488A)
On Realoem, it doesn't show the cable PN that is for standard sport seat which doesn't have lumbar support. The cable i took out has a part number of 9258215 and it is not shown on the realoem or etk.cc or bmwfans website at all. I have attached the pictures of the old cable if you are interested. Quit confusing....

2. Switch, seat adjustment, memory, driver / left steering / from 07.2015 (61319359835) - Should be the right one as it supports both Sports seat and Lumbar support and memory.

3. Lumbar support with pump (52107284042) - No problem, it supports Sports Seat (S481A) and Lumbar support, driver and passenger(S488A)

4. Backrest width adjustment with valve LBV (52107284043) - I thought my sports seats backrest width adjustment would be compatible with the lumbar support, but when i took my seat apart, i realize mine is actually "Backrest width adjustment LBV (52107243596) and it has different way of connections and it doesn't fit, so i made another purchase on this part.

I didn't get the Wiring set seat, driver's side (61129258232) because i suspect i already have this cable installed on my car according to realoem, the cable only different on memory seat or not. But since the lumbar support is still not moving after i put everything together, i doubt that i might need to get this cable?? (The backrest width adjustment works fine with out any issue, though).
update for this cable: i crawl down to check this P/N, and found mine is indeed 61129258231.... another P/N you can't find on ETK, realoem, bmwfans.... anyhow, i guess i need to change this wiring set or adding pins to the connector of the switch module to somewhere i haven't identified yet. i checked the connector to the switch module and it only have 8 pins. According to mtherr's pictures, mine is with sports seat and want to add the lumbar should have 10 pins....

Does any one know what am i missing here and what is the right part number to order? From the previous post, the seat wiring information is really insufficient on the Realoem.... TBC once i get the new wiring set 61129258232 and will update the result. Hope i do have the 12V on the main connector pin 1 as i have the sports seat and should already have it.
Attached Images

Last edited by LittleBlackHawk; 02-21-2016 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Hi!
Is it possible to just order the lumbar pad and convert it to manual pump?
Like a sqeeze ball that you manually pump air into the pad?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 01:10 AM   #8
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Hi!
Hi, in this case, then you don't want to buy the BMW parts. You are better of making your own sac because you are not getting any advantage using their sac, i don't see any meaning of paying the extra of buying the BMW part. just make your own and put it in. i believe there are space for you to find the place to put it. thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Hi!
Hi, in this case, then you don't want to buy the BMW parts. You are better of making your own sac because you are not getting any advantage using their sac, i don't see any meaning of paying the extra of buying the BMW part. just make your own and put it in. i believe there are space for you to find the place to put it. thanks
How.....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 316d

Hi,

Recently I bought a 2012 F30 sedan with manual sport seats (with backrest width adjustment, without heating). I want to add the lumbar support as well for a bit more comfortable travelling. After some puzzling and the help of the info above I ordered the following parts a minute ago:

61319231269 Switch left (nr7)
52107284043 Backrest width adjuster with valve (nr3)
52107284042 Lumbar support pad with pump (nr4)
61139245024 UNIVERSAL SOCKET HOUSING (haven't seen it on the lists above, but according to RealOEM I seem to need it).
61129258214 adaptor wire lumbar

As far as I can tell I don't need the standard wire kit (part nr .......636) since I believe I already have this in my car.

LittleBlackHawk : did you manage to solve the issue you mentioned?

I will update the progress of this little project.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #11
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

Got the parts today. Installation shouldn't be much of a problem. Only need to find out how to connect the lumbar switch since it doesn't go straight on to the lumbar wire adaptor (61129258214).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #12
Pilz
Netherlands
Rep

Retrofit Done. See http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4#post20403364 for my write-up.

Turned out I did need the wire kit driver side with part number 61129264636.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
russellg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

I am the opposite, on my last F31 I had no lumbar support and found the seats very comfy.

I now have a F31 LCI and find the seats not very comfortable at all with the lumbar support.

Could it be easily removed to make it the same as a seat without lumbar support?

Last edited by russellg; 09-21-2016 at 03:09 AM.. Reason: sppelling.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:39 AM   #14
powerflower
Rep
Drives: E46 - 320i

lumbar support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
Hi I have a sport seat with memory but not lumbar, so i got the following parts, but the switch doesn not make any move....

1. Adapter lead, lumbar (61129258214) - it supports Sports seat(S481A) and Lumbar support, driver and passenger(S488A)
On Realoem, it doesn't show the cable PN that is for standard sport seat which doesn't have lumbar support. The cable i took out has a part number of 9258215 and it is not shown on the realoem or etk.cc or bmwfans website at all. I have attached the pictures of the old cable if you are interested. Quit confusing....

2. Switch, seat adjustment, memory, driver / left steering / from 07.2015 (61319359835) - Should be the right one as it supports both Sports seat and Lumbar support and memory.

3. Lumbar support with pump (52107284042) - No problem, it supports Sports Seat (S481A) and Lumbar support, driver and passenger(S488A)

4. Backrest width adjustment with valve LBV (52107284043) - I thought my sports seats backrest width adjustment would be compatible with the lumbar support, but when i took my seat apart, i realize mine is actually "Backrest width adjustment LBV (52107243596) and it has different way of connections and it doesn't fit, so i made another purchase on this part.

I didn't get the Wiring set seat, driver's side (61129258232) because i suspect i already have this cable installed on my car according to realoem, the cable only different on memory seat or not. But since the lumbar support is still not moving after i put everything together, i doubt that i might need to get this cable?? (The backrest width adjustment works fine with out any issue, though).
update for this cable: i crawl down to check this P/N, and found mine is indeed 61129258231.... another P/N you can't find on ETK, realoem, bmwfans.... anyhow, i guess i need to change this wiring set or adding pins to the connector of the switch module to somewhere i haven't identified yet. i checked the connector to the switch module and it only have 8 pins. According to mtherr's pictures, mine is with sports seat and want to add the lumbar should have 10 pins....

Does any one know what am i missing here and what is the right part number to order? From the previous post, the seat wiring information is really insufficient on the Realoem.... TBC once i get the new wiring set 61129258232 and will update the result. Hope i do have the 12V on the main connector pin 1 as i have the sports seat and should already have it.
Hi did you manage to get this one sorted? did you need the new wiring set and did that give you all the connections you needed or was there more to it
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #15
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerflower View Post
Hi did you manage to get this one sorted? did you need the new wiring set and did that give you all the connections you needed or was there more to it
Yes, the original wiring does not control two sacs (side and lumber). The new wiring was okay, after installing the new wiring, it worked flaswlessly. My back are happy now~
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
newli
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive Touring

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought BMW 340i with heated electric sport seats (with 2 memories). The seats have inflatable sides but unfortunately no lumbar support. I have read many threads/websites and found out that if my seats were manual, retrofit of lumbar support would be quite easy. I'd just need to buy the following set (see the attached picture). However, as my seats are electric with memories, I am uncertain what else I'd need to do a retrofit. I know that I would need the following items:

1) Switch for power seats, Memory, driver - catalogue number: 61319382455
2) the inflatable lumbar-side set (see the attached picture)

but I am not sure whether the current cables/connectors (already in my car) can be attached to the above components so that everything works correctly.

When I read the following:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...70#61129264636

I tend to conclusion that the above two items should be sufficient (I'd like to add the lumbar support just for driver's seat), but still in doubts. Thus, I'd be very grateful if you could provide me with our help/opinion. In fact, this is the only thread I found dealing with lumbar support retrofit to electric seats.

Many thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:05 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newli View Post
Hello everyone,

I have recently bought BMW 340i with heated electric sport seats (with 2 memories). The seats have inflatable sides but unfortunately no lumbar support. I have read many threads/websites and found out that if my seats were manual, retrofit of lumbar support would be quite easy. I'd just need to buy the following set (see the attached picture). However, as my seats are electric with memories, I am uncertain what else I'd need to do a retrofit. I know that I would need the following items:

1) Switch for power seats, Memory, driver - catalogue number: 61319382455
2) the inflatable lumbar-side set (see the attached picture)

but I am not sure whether the current cables/connectors (already in my car) can be attached to the above components so that everything works correctly.

When I read the following:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...70#61129264636

I tend to conclusion that the above two items should be sufficient (I'd like to add the lumbar support just for driver's seat), but still in doubts. Thus, I'd be very grateful if you could provide me with our help/opinion. In fact, this is the only thread I found dealing with lumbar support retrofit to electric seats.

Many thanks!
Easier to find used driver seat in the EU with proper parts and swap. You could even remove leather from your seat and move to replacement. Could even have blown airbag.

Considering full interiors are on eBay for 1000€, a single drivers seat should be really inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
newli
Registered
Rep

2 IK6SPEED: Thanks for reply. This is the other alternative, I am considering. I will monitor options on ebay but so far it seems a bit expensive (usually the entire interior is ofefrred). In addition, my seats are as new ones. Thus, I still consider the retrofit as a good (and probably preferable) option. If it costs at least equal, it would be fine from economic point of view as well as ecological :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
newli
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
Yes, the original wiring does not control two sacs (side and lumber). The new wiring was okay, after installing the new wiring, it worked flaswlessly. My back are happy now~
LittleBlackHawk: Did you have sport seats with no support or sport seats with (inflatable) side support? I am curious whether my car (electric seats with memory and inflatable side support but no lumbar support has already proper wiring (i.e. 61129258232) or something else (e.g. 61129258231 as you mentioned). Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #20
nogentiva
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2002 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I'm usually pretty good at finding the right wiring diagrams in rheingold, but this one baffles me somewhat. The key thing is a 10-pin connector on the driver side switch block (attaches to side of seat) - named S153, and it shows that the lumbar control is done "via seat adjustment switch block", but in rheingold, it only shows 6 wires (none for the lumbar wires) in this switch block rather than the full 10 wires.

Still... i'll share what i found. Hopefully, others can chime in and add to it and complete the wiring picture you are looking for.

The OP's initial scription says he needs 11 wires total, but in his google pictures, he seems to indicate he only hooked up 2 wires into the 10-pin connector (where he shows original 10-pin connector and new one). Then in another pic showing his "harness", there appears to be 5 wires shown..

Here's an enlarged version of the wiring diagram

Good luck - this looks like a fun project and a worthwhile retrofit!

I am looking to wire my non heated 2016 340i seats up on their own in an older non BMW car. Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup, or know where I might get some guidance? (I don't intend to use any memory options)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #21
mapper999
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw320i 520d,635d,640d

seat and lumbar support

Hi all, just wondering. If I replaced my existing seat with another that had a lumbar support system and module etc, and connected all the wires etc. Would my F13 recognise the extra function?
Bit like an organ transplant with extras :
Appreciate 0