F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i xDrive B58 info?
proTUNING Freaks

02-19-2020, 09:02 AM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelTiii View Post
https://www.ebay.com/p/1470179365?ii...SABEgK6jvD_BwE

Check this out for GL-4 final drive oil. My diff. needs 3 - F32 RWD

Cheers everybody!
Thank you! FYI, in looking at the TIS site, I have a feeling there might not be a drain for some of our 'things' like transfer case...and, if you haven't looked yet, maybe diff? It wouldn't surprise me...we don't have a dipstick, we have 'lifetime' fluids. I know I saw some note about filling 'something' with no mention of a drain plug...off to realoem now because I'm curious. (I see a fill plug on transfer case and no plugs at all on differential. I see both plugs on the manual trans, at least. )
A lot of things on F3x/N55 don't have drain plugs either. You have to suction out the fluid through the fill hole. It pays to have a good suction device with various sized adapters on the end. Sometimes when you open the fill plug there are things in the way so you have to move the suction piece around to various spots to remove as much fluid as possible.

I believe the Xdrive transfer case is a bear because you need a very thin tube to get past the stuff in way and if you are lucky you will remove about half of the fluid through suction. It's fine to mix old and new. But it may be a good idea to do that one more often to have more new than old in the mix.

It's important to keep track of how much fluid you have removed so you have an idea of how much has been replaced. Been getting my fluids from FCP Euro. All BMW labeled fluids except for transmission fluid. I use ZF made by the transmission manufacturer, ZF.

I always replace my drain and fill plugs with Dimple plugs which has a really strong magnet to pick up any fine metal particles that would cause internal damage. It's something like $30 a plug but that's cheap insurance on a very expensive engine.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #24
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
A lot of things on F3x/N55 don't have drain plugs either. You have to suction out the fluid through the fill hole. It pays to have a good suction device with various sized adapters on the end. Sometimes when you open the fill plug there are things in the way so you have to move the suction piece around to various spots to remove as much fluid as possible.

I believe the Xdrive transfer case is a bear because you need a very thin tube to get past the stuff in way and if you are lucky you will remove about half of the fluid through suction. It's fine to mix old and new. But it may be a good idea to do that one more often to have more new than old in the mix.

It's important to keep track of how much fluid you have removed so you have an idea of how much has been replaced. Been getting my fluids from FCP Euro. All BMW labeled fluids except for transmission fluid. I use ZF made by the transmission manufacturer, ZF.

I always replace my drain and fill plugs with Dimple plugs which has a really strong magnet to pick up any fine metal particles that would cause internal damage. It's something like $30 a plug but that's cheap insurance on a very expensive engine.

Hope this helps!
I hope it does too! I'm in for the long run with this car, so like the magnetic plug idea a lot!

Lifetime fluids? tsk BMW! I guess I'll get a vac pump of some sort because I'd like fresh fluid.

It's weird bmw calls for different hyploid oil in front and rear diff...and that I saw only one liter of fluid in transmission (manual). Does that seem right?

Anyway, haven't ordered fluids yet. Plugs and oil are up next.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #25
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
I hope it does too! I'm in for the long run with this car, so like the magnetic plug idea a lot!

Lifetime fluids? tsk BMW! I guess I'll get a vac pump of some sort because I'd like fresh fluid.

It's weird bmw calls for different hyploid oil in front and rear diff...and that I saw only one liter of fluid in transmission (manual). Does that seem right?

Anyway, haven't ordered fluids yet. Plugs and oil are up next.
FCP Euro is an excellent resource to order the correct fluid. Dimple sells direct or can be had from ECS.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 04:24 PM   #26
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FCP Euro is an excellent resource to order the correct fluid. Dimple sells direct or can be had from ECS.
FCP Euro failed me this last order, by 2 mm. My serp belt wasn't there and the part they got was 1153, not 1155. I'm wrestling with whether I should be ocd about this or not.

I've used fcp for years and years...always been great in every way!

I'm going to study up on fluids, but I'm disappointed that finding capacities for things is not easy. At $2xx/hr., I'm not surprised bmw wants to support its dealer network.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 01:13 AM   #27
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
FCP Euro failed me this last order, by 2 mm. My serp belt wasn't there and the part they got was 1153, not 1155. I'm wrestling with whether I should be ocd about this or not.

I've used fcp for years and years...always been great in every way!

I'm going to study up on fluids, but I'm disappointed that finding capacities for things is not easy. At $2xx/hr., I'm not surprised bmw wants to support its dealer network.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/11288613707/
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:43 AM   #28
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelTiii View Post
Thank you, Keel. I'd found that, but I'm going to return this to fcp and see if I can get the right one. FCP didn't even have the pn when I ordered but they added it on for 'me,' along with the tensioner.

'We're' just coming out of warranty, so suspect more parts will come as we need them, though I also suspect fewer will be diying the f30 than the e46. This is a frightening looking engine to work on--I nearly cried when I saw the diagram of our 20 cooling hoses and four radiators.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 06:48 AM   #29
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

I'm getting my $400 worth of OEM fluids soon...have a mityvac...ready to change out my fluids underneath--

Any tips? I'm sure they should be warm when draining...will I be able to do all the fluids at once you think and get them all out warm-ish?

I'll be working with it up on jackstands...with a friend operating the mityvac.

If you notice I don't have the right amount of fluids, please let me know--I'm going off of realoem quantities:

2L MTF LT-5
1.5L G1 Hypoid Diff Oil
.5L G2 Hypoid Diff Oil
1L DTF1 Transfer case fluid

I also have the diff fluid extractor adaptor (bent brake line pipe) and extra plugs.

Will I need to remove any or all underskirts?

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0