F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > PDR Hole
proTUNING Freaks

10-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #1
jhh3000
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

PDR Hole

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone here has a lot more expertise in this area than I do..

Selling my car and during inspection, the buyer (a company called Shift) turned up a PDR hole in the C pillar. They claim this is non-repairable damage that compromises the structural integrity... sounds pretty serious.

I did some research and it seems like drilling holes during PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) is common practice.

So anyways, I know I didn't have a PDR done. This was a certified pre-owned car, so either the dealership pulled a fast one on me, or something is very strange here about why Shift is rejecting this car.

Anyone know about these PDR holes?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

By definition PDR does not drill holes in the car. PDR does insert tools through existing holes in the car framework to push dented body panels out. That can cause deformation of the framework, but it's a cosmetic issue, and it can be fixed. https://www.precisionpaintlessdentre...-hole-solution

I don't see how damage to the C-pillar framework would have been seen in an inspection, as that would required removing the trim on the inside. That makes me suspect Shift is shady. Sell it on Cars.com.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Agree, the whole purpose of PDR is holes are not drilled. They pull out dents with no cosmetic evidence the work was performed. If a hole was drilled, that could be an indication of a much larger dent being pulled out.

How did they even see the hole? Is it visible on the outside?

Off hand I don't seen how a hole drilled in the body panel over the C-pillar would be a big deal. If a hole was drilled through the actual structural, unibody part of the C-pillar, that would be a different issue all together, but they'd have to remove interior pieces or the exterior body panel to see it.
      10-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #4
jhh3000
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Here's a picture of where they found the hole. I should probably just confirm first... is this the C-pillar? I don't have the car back yet, but it looks like this is the rear passenger door latch area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
Newman1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

I’ve had PDR places tell me they needed to drill a small hole to access dings in areas where access didn’t exist otherwise, so it does happen. I never opted for it and instead go to a place that will glue and pull the ding out and never drill when needed. But I believe the lower cost places will just drill and silicone the hole for their own convenience.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's not the C pillar, that's the door frame. The pillars support the roof. I can't imagine why a PDR repair would drill a hole there, or why anyone would drill a hole there for that matter. It certainly wouldn't be a structural problem, but it shouldn't be there. It should have been filled and painted before the car was sold to you.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #7
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
If a body shop put the hole there I wonder if the car was in a serious wreck and they used that point to pull the frame back into shape? That is part of the unibody frame. No PDR would be going on there. They only pull out body panels, not structural members.

It's in an area that probably isn't under a lot of stress, but having a hole in the frame where there isn't supposed to be one would make me a little nervous. The entire unibody is basically a load bearing structure.
      10-07-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Never heard of or seen anything like that, can you post more pics from different angles, that's rather remarkable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You wouldn't need to put anything into a hole to pull that place back into shape. Besides, if the metal had been bent there the work required to make it invisible would be a lot more than what it would take to fill that hole. I can't imagine what the reason could have been for drilling it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

looks like the hole is in the right rear door jamb. it appears to me that it was made to access the right rear quarter panel. if the dent is where i think it is, whoever did the PDR should have used a glue pull, imo. usually the hole becomes deformed slightly from leveraging their tool, so i'm not sure.

i've had PDR done that required drilling because it on a part of the car where the metal was thick and curved sharply. they needed a lot of leverage to push the dent and a glue pull would not have been able. the hole was in an inconspicuous area and they rustproofed and put a rubber grommet in the hole afterwards.
Appreciate 0