F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Taking car to Indy while under warranty
Studio RSR

07-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Bobolat
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xdrive

Taking car to Indy while under warranty

Does taking a CPO vehicle to an Indy shop for maintenance have implications on the CPO warranty? I read somewhere on the forum that repairs at an Indy do not get reported to BMW so if later, a repair under CPO warranty is needed, can they complain that proper maintenance on the vehicle was not performed?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:21 PM   #2
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolat View Post
Does taking a CPO vehicle to an Indy shop for maintenance have implications on the CPO warranty? I read somewhere on the forum that repairs at an Indy do not get reported to BMW so if later, a repair under CPO warranty is needed, can they complain that proper maintenance on the vehicle was not performed?
I think if you keep all the paperwork,you’ll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If the work was done properly, there is no way it can affect your warranty in any way. Maintenance or repairs can be done at home, at an independent mechanic, or by your mother. As long as the repairs are done properly and don't cause further damage to your car, it won't affect any warranty at all.

Of course, that doesn't stop shady dealerships from saying otherwise, but it's rare that they stick to their guns about that. That's just something they say to scare you into going in for service at the dealership.

I plan on doing most of my own maintenance now that my free maintenance is complete. Just make sure you reset the counters on the car when you do the maintenance and also make sure that you keep a record of all the service you get, whether it be from an indy, from the dealership, or DIY. There doesn't need to be any official record of service being done to get warranty service.

If they refuse warranty service because they claim you didn't change your oil for 3 years, then they have to prove why they think you're lying about it. Unless there's sludge in your engine, it'd be virtually impossible to prove something like that. Also, don't lie about anything. Even one small little lie will make them very suspicious about everything else you say.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

For maintenance that I do at home, I have a spreadsheet that tracks dates,mileage, parts, etc for each task, I also scan all receipts for parts, fluids used.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Do you still get a loaner for CPO maintenance work? If so, it's worth the premium IMHO to go to the dealer.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #6
speedbird19
Ex-Lurker
Rep
Drives: Patty Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Do you still get a loaner for CPO maintenance work? If so, it's worth the premium IMHO to go to the dealer.
I believe so because I got a loaner when I had my CPO F32. I think it's up to each dealer too because my local one has a rule that it only offers complimentary loaners if you bought the car from them.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
Bobolat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
If the work was done properly, there is no way it can affect your warranty in any way. Maintenance or repairs can be done at home, at an independent mechanic, or by your mother. As long as the repairs are done properly and don't cause further damage to your car, it won't affect any warranty at all.

Of course, that doesn't stop shady dealerships from saying otherwise, but it's rare that they stick to their guns about that. That's just something they say to scare you into going in for service at the dealership.

I plan on doing most of my own maintenance now that my free maintenance is complete. Just make sure you reset the counters on the car when you do the maintenance and also make sure that you keep a record of all the service you get, whether it be from an indy, from the dealership, or DIY. There doesn't need to be any official record of service being done to get warranty service.

If they refuse warranty service because they claim you didn't change your oil for 3 years, then they have to prove why they think you're lying about it. Unless there's sludge in your engine, it'd be virtually impossible to prove something like that. Also, don't lie about anything. Even one small little lie will make them very suspicious about everything else you say.
Thanks for the detailed response! This is off-topic but I noticed you have a 335i. I am considering getting a 2015 335ix. However, I have a long commute and am concerned that the gas mileage I get may be lower than the promised 20/30 mpg (based on reviews from other owners). Do you have any advice?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #8
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed response! This is off-topic but I noticed you have a 335i. I am considering getting a 2015 335ix. However, I have a long commute and am concerned that the gas mileage I get may be lower than the promised 20/30 mpg (based on reviews from other owners). Do you have any advice?
20/30 might be a bit optimistic, but if you drive conservatively, you will get close to it. It's a bit tempting to drive "non" economically, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
You get a loaner at my dealer for ANYTHING, as long as you schedule far enough in advance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:15 AM   #10
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M4 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:

I commute about 30 minutes one way with a 335 and get about 24mpg. This is strictly highway though. I do not drive conservative either.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I keep all my paperwork anyway. Sometimes what's stored on the keyfob isn't accurate. In case they claim an oil change wasn't performed I have the paperwork showing it was done at the dealer so it's not my fault if it wasn't actually done.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Just curious...why take it to an indy? If its CPO wouldn't you rather have it serviced at a BMW center in case they find something that they could repair under the CPO warranty?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #13
Bobolat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Just curious...why take it to an indy? If its CPO wouldn't you rather have it serviced at a BMW center in case they find something that they could repair under the CPO warranty?
Under CPO warranty but not under maintenance plan. Trying to save money by taking to indy.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
You are still paying more money for service at the dealer. If an indy flags a problem, you can tell them "Don't fix it. It's under warranty." Just like any other car that doesn't offer complimentary maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #15
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
You are right. They do charge more. Sounds like you have it covered. Like I said...just curious. Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #16
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Every time I see this thread title bumped up, I keep thinking OP is talking about taking his car here:

Not sure if covered under warranty.
Appreciate 1
tex26702412.50
      07-27-2018, 09:28 PM   #17
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
You get a loaner at my dealer for ANYTHING, as long as you schedule far enough in advance.
I can imagine getting push back for asking for a loaner for an oil change.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #18
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:

I'm sorry; but they don't have to prove anything (as it relates to warranty denial). I find it amusing when folks comment that a dealer "has to do this.....or has to do that". Bottom line is a dealer can tell you to eff off, plain and simple, and there is nothing you can do about it unless you're willing to retain a lawyer at $400/hr to have a court of law hear you out. 9/10 times, such a move becomes cost prohibitive and unfeasible.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #19
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
I can imagine getting push back for asking for a loaner for an oil change.
You can imagine it all you want; they give it. Same for the Lexus dealer before I had my BMW. And the Lexus dealer had pickup/delivery of the loaner within a 60 mile radius. Any service, as long as you scheduled 2-3 weeks in advance, because they only had 2 drivers per day.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 06:10 PM   #20
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
I'm sorry; but they don't have to prove anything (as it relates to warranty denial). I find it amusing when folks comment that a dealer "has to do this.....or has to do that". Bottom line is a dealer can tell you to eff off, plain and simple, and there is nothing you can do about it unless you're willing to retain a lawyer at $400/hr to have a court of law hear you out. 9/10 times, such a move becomes cost prohibitive and unfeasible.
Yup. Been there--had to elevate to US HQ for my Acura. Got some moronic bean counter on the phone who made arguments that were non-sensical. I didn't have to elevate it further--the dealer knew I was right and comped the labor, and I paid for the part.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:07 PM   #21
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
I'm a realist, so while that is illegal, I know it happens. However, if you've truly done proper maintenance and you're NICE and REASONABLE to the service adviser, you'll likely get your car fixed. You always have the option of going to another dealer as well. I have at least 5 dealerships within about a 30 minute radius of me.

The thing about hiring a lawyer is that the more BMW dealerships there are, the more expensive lawyer rates are likely to be. So if you don't have the option of going to another dealership for warranty work, most likely the lawyers in your area are much cheaper anyway.

Also, most lawyers in the auto fraud industry don't require a retainer and will work with you if they think you have a case. True, if it's a small repair, it's not going to work out most likely, but then it's also probably not a big deal. Most people aren't going to be broken up about a $500 repair. If it's a $10k engine replacement, then absolutely it's worth hiring a lawyer.

For the amount of money I save by doing my own work, I've definitely saved enough money that I can afford to deal with the occasional B.S. or hiring a lawyer if necessary although I've never personally had to do that. Also, whether your do your service at the dealership or not, people get denied warranty work all the time. Dealerships screw everybody and it usually has to do with if they suspect that you did any service AT ALL or if they suspect you've modified your car. Some people just don't take care of their cars or lie about their maintenance and service history.
Appreciate 0