F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Car Purchase part 2
Extreme Powerhouse

11-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #1
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Car Purchase part 2

Ok,

Well son put refundable deposit on car via telephone on credit card. This was to reserve the car for 48 hours until we could test it as it was an hour journey to get to the dealer.

Son did his homework, he was on babybimmer getting feedback, checking on egr (no issue as 2015) credit check and mot and mileage as much as he could. Checked with dealer on service history, told full service but the chap didn’t know with which dealer as it was on the key and electronic.

Assured car was in vgc, no issues, started and ran great. Son agreed loan rate with bank of dad, 2.9% on 12k over 4 years. Oh and he sorted insurance out on a multi car with his mums.

So, good to , we drove over Sunday early, all excited about new car in the family. Get there and it looks good, big main vw dealer, find car in line with other none vw’s.

Car looks very tidy, but not exactly clean for showing off. Bit of wear and tear, but normal for three year old car, nothing a detail and smart repair won’t sort.

Tyres were a bit odd, four relatively new ones but all different brands, again odd but easily sortable.

So in my head I’m totting up what it’s going to cost to sort as our opening position, but also have in mind it’s a good price already so son agrees his target price and max price.

Go meet sales guy to get keys, ask about service history and a bit ambiguous in response. Not to worry I can check on the service info screen or ring a friendly chap at Sytners Sheffield.

Allow son to do talking, his car, all going well, he sits in car and turns on electrics. I can see from his face there’s an issue. Sales guy gets in, then I hear him say that’s normal when a cars been stood for two days. I ask what’s the problem, and then ask to have a look.

Basically as you press the ignition, not starting engine, battery failure warnings and info/media panel starts flashing. Can’t get to service info as keeps flashing to battery failure and screen going on and off.

Try to start engine and it really struggles turning over. Eventually start engine and get to service screen, no service data and an electrical and battery warning.

Leave engine running for a minute and then engine starts making a horrible clattering noise. I’ve driven lots of oil burners and this was Bedford van like. Sales guy then proceeds to tell us that’s normal, the missing service history is because we’ve got the spare, none info, key and that it’s a real bargain!

I lay into sales guy for misleading us and wasting our time, manager comes out and apologises and then tells me they will look at this as a “learning experience”.

What the fuck? At this point I give in and we leave. As pissed off as I am for wasting our time, I’m more disappointed for my son. He was so looking forward to this, he’s had a couple of cars but this would be his first significant purchase.

I’ll give him his due he took it well, it would have been easy to get suckured into having them do a ‘special deal’, but no he thanked them for their time and for wasting his and moved on. He’s again crawling all over PH and Atrader.

Anyway long story short, some car people good, some car people bad, all cars an experience.
      11-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Sounds all too common sadly but good to move on. There are plenty more cars for sale.

Particularly unbelievable given they would have been expecting him to turn up as he had placed a deposit. On that basis it should have been the best presented car on their forecourt. If they couldn’t even be bothered at that stage then doesn’t look good for aftersales.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      11-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #3
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Its right what they say, There are no second chances at creating a good first impression.

Looks like the garage in question failed seriously at that point. Most dealers sell cars off to other dealers if the cars is different to the franchise so I am very weary where I purchase my car from.

Some good buys out there but if its a significant purchase the main dealers is the place to visit, better terms dealer warranty etc and a history that can be checked.

Good luck on your next venture into the car market better luck next time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
From a good few years driving VW before moving to BM, I hate to say it but that's the sort of behaviours by main dealers that made me give up on them as well as a horror ownership of my last Passat.
      11-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

So they're saying that the car could never not be driven for two days or it'd have issues? Cracking sales pitch. I'd be writing to the dealer principle asking for travel costs to be reimbursed.
Appreciate 0