F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 M-Sport Front Bumper (SA 337) PDC Park Sensors Questions
ARMA SPEED

06-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
WillGood Hunting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F30 328i Sedan

So I am posting this question a bit earlier than should be posted because the front bumper, PDC mounts and the punch tool to make the holes are still shipping to my address but I am hoping to have these questions answered before then so I don't have to stop my project and wait to order the correct tool or mounts if it came down to it.

I have ordered, for my F30, a new M-sport (also called "SA 337") front and back bumper from separate businesses. My car comes installed with front and back PDC. The new bumpers do not have the holes punched and I look to punch them myself before I have them painted.

Focusing on the M-Sport (SA 337) front bumper, let's take a look at this unpainted, loose example to better depict what I am curious about.
(See Attachment)
You will see that of the four holes designed in the bumper, the two inner holes are bigger than the two outer holes. You will find that Brian of Kies Motorsport even emphases on these hole differences at the near end of this video (6:46)

Here is how one of the two inner holes look with PDC installed.
(See Attachment)

I have confirmed that the two outer holes are 18mm diameter but I cannot determine the diameter for the two inner holes yet I have narrowed down the diameters to either being 30mm or 32mm. The problem with that video even though he showcased the PDC hole, he didn't state the size of the diameter nor demonstrated punching that specific hole in his bumper.
I found that the diameter size can either be 30mm or 32mm because I found these instructions on how to drill the PDC holes.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1374882975

On page 7, it states 30mm for the inner holes but when I measure one of two inner PDC holes already set up on my current bumper, it shows me 32mm.
Apparently, I asked the seller if the bumper has markings to help Drill PDC and they said it doesn't (weird, we'll see).
My ordered punch tool doesn't come with a 30mm size availability. I might have to order another tool to get that size availability..
Can someone confirm for me if I need to punch a 30mm or 32mm hole for the two inner holes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

When I retrofitted that 5 years ago, I bought a punching tool 18mm for PDC rear and PDC front for the outer holes.
For the inner holes in the front i bought a step drill.
So I could approach 30mm.
I wouldn't buy a 32mm tool. Then it would be better to buy a 30mm tool or a step drill and approach for it.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
WillGood Hunting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F30 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
When I retrofitted that 5 years ago, I bought a punching tool 18mm for PDC rear and PDC front for the outer holes.
I wouldn't buy a 32mm tool. Then it would be better to buy a 30mm tool or a step drill and approach for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
I did just that. The 18mm holes came out spectacular. The inner were actually 30mm. I used a step drill bit and approached it. The hard part was cleaning up and Dedur the edges. I used a Dremel for that. It was the best option I had.
Appreciate 0