F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Discovery arrived
Studio RSR

08-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #45
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
I also liked the offset number plate on the original Disco. However, then it was needed because of the shape of the rear window, i.e. it served a functional purpose. I hate the way they've done it on the new model as it's a little too contrived in an attempt to pay homage to the original model.

If I had a new Disco, I'd definitely go for that Startech plate conversion, makes its look more balanced. Someone near us has that part on theirs (although they've also wrapped their vehicle in Yellow so they lose points from me for wrapping it!).
Saw this the other day and thought they'd finally come to their senses and updated the number plate to be centre on the LCI or something...Didn't realise you had to buy a conversion kit!
Appreciate 2
C320342.50
      08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #46
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

I did the free half day Land Rover experience that every New/Approved Used gets yesterday at Eastnor. Well worth doing although I've done a fair bit of off-roading through work but my wife squealed the whole way round and really enjoyed herself.

I spent a week with a Discovery whilst mine was in (yet again) having some warranty work, it's an impressive piece of kit and more than plenty for a family.
www.bmwland.org.uk

Last edited by Drek; 08-14-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 12:54 PM   #47
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
I did the free half day Land Rover experience that every New/Approved Used gets yesterday at Eastnor. Well worth doing although I've done a fair bit of off-roading through but my wife squealed the whole way round and really enjoyed herself.

I spent a week with a Discovery whilst mine was in (yet again) having some warranty work, it's an impressive piece of kit and more than plenty for a family.
Long time since I have seen you on here, Drek! Hope all is good with you.

What are you driving to have a LR loaner? RRS/FFRR? Seem to recall you had a 335d a while back.

Definitely going to book that LR experience half day and pretty quickly if I can. Wife is 30+ weeks pregnant so won't be coming along for the shaking

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 01:22 PM   #48
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Aye, I don't come on here anymore although occasionally pop in to see what's what. I sold my 335d last year and bought an Approved Used RRS Autobiography. I'm not going to lie, the relationship has been a fractious one and it's spent a ridiculous amount of time in the dealership having bits fixed and it's still not completely 100%. I've had a Discovery, FFRR (twice) and an Evoque (twice again) as loaners!

That said, I love it. It's so comfortable and practical and we're off tonight to Croatia via France, Germany and Italy on the way back. We did the same trip last winter in the RRS and it was glorious, just such a lovely place to be on a long journey.

I liked the Discovery more than I thought I would although ultimately not a car for just the two of us and a Springer Spaniel. Very capable though and quite a few families in one at Eastnor yesterday.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #49
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Aye, I don't come on here anymore although occasionally pop in to see what's what. I sold my 335d last year and bought an Approved Used RRS Autobiography. I'm not going to lie, the relationship has been a fractious one and it's spent a ridiculous amount of time in the dealership having bits fixed and it's still not completely 100%. I've had a Discovery, FFRR (twice) and an Evoque (twice again) as loaners!

That said, I love it. It's so comfortable and practical and we're off tonight to Croatia via France, Germany and Italy on the way back. We did the same trip last winter in the RRS and it was glorious, just such a lovely place to be on a long journey.

I liked the Discovery more than I thought I would although ultimately not a car for just the two of us and a Springer Spaniel. Very capable though and quite a few families in one at Eastnor yesterday.
Sounds like a typically interesting LR product! I'm not going to lie either - fingers are crossed here...

Autobiography is a beautiful spec, I had 48 hours in a RRS Phev AB and it was an incredibly luxurious place to be.

A bit like you, I didn't expect to like the Disco as much as I did - in HSE Luxury spec it gives a lot of the Range Rover feel and goodies and with the Adaptive Dynamics option drives in a similar way too. It's not as nimble (relative term) as a RRS Dynamic, but not bad at all. And, as you say, it's the perfect family package. Hoping it holds together and stays with us for many, many years.

Enjoy the drive to Croatia, I'm very envious!

Appreciate 1
Drek578.50
      08-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #50
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll warn you now, these really do get under your skin! I actually went down the route of rejecting it but I honestly couldn't bring myself to do it in the end. It took me a while to find the one I wanted with a few key extras and I was buggered if I was going to let it go without a fight. That was five months ago and although it can be a proper pain in the arse sometimes with its idiosyncrasies I love it more than any other car I've had (apart from maybe the Boxster but that was at a different time in my life) which is a great place to be. It's an old design but it still looks smart, is practical, quiet (oh so quiet) and of course the driving position is spot on too. It's a lot more 'driveable' than I thought it would be although it does feel a bit daft smacking through the gears using the flappy paddles.

You and your family are going to love yours, there's always a sense of occasion with it and I'm sure you're going to have lots of memories, happy ones I hope! Epic spec by the way and lovely colour combination too.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #51
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

I think the reliability would always put me off RR, you're always hearing of one broke down, being repaired or just died on the drive. They really need to sort it out, saying that one of neighbours who has had RRs a long time said his current one (64 plate current gen) has been the best he's ever had with no issues - apart from it arriving in the wrong roof colour.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #52
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'll warn you now, these really do get under your skin! I actually went down the route of rejecting it but I honestly couldn't bring myself to do it in the end. It took me a while to find the one I wanted with a few key extras and I was buggered if I was going to let it go without a fight. That was five months ago and although it can be a proper pain in the arse sometimes with its idiosyncrasies I love it more than any other car I've had (apart from maybe the Boxster but that was at a different time in my life) which is a great place to be. It's an old design but it still looks smart, is practical, quiet (oh so quiet) and of course the driving position is spot on too. It's a lot more 'driveable' than I thought it would be although it does feel a bit daft smacking through the gears using the flappy paddles.

You and your family are going to love yours, there's always a sense of occasion with it and I'm sure you're going to have lots of memories, happy ones I hope! Epic spec by the way and lovely colour combination too.
I found the same (and so did the wife). There is something special about the way they feel, the way they drive and some of the different touches they have.

It was the RRS that hooked me into the brand and I kept coming back to LR after considering others.

Appreciate 1
Drek578.50
      08-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #53
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
I think the reliability would always put me off RR, you're always hearing of one broke down, being repaired or just died on the drive. They really need to sort it out, saying that one of neighbours who has had RRs a long time said his current one (64 plate current gen) has been the best he's ever had with no issues - apart from it arriving in the wrong roof colour.
They do have an undeniably ropey reputation and a warranty is an absolute no-brainer. I went in with my eyes open and to be honest I didn't expect it to be as problematic as it has been, I was hoping I'd be one of the many that have an uneventful ownership experience. Still, I made my choice and on the days when it isn't having a wobble I'm happy with my decision. I've been a BMW bloke most of my driving life and I wouldn't go back to one now or not until they sort out the horrendous styling path it seems to have gone down. Miss the iDrive though!
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:38 AM   #54
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
With the folks being back home on the Isle of Man, looking up how to do this ranks unusually high for me.

As you might know on a BMW its 2 presses of the look button and you see a different flashing pattern on the alarm red light under the mirror. Alarm is armed but not the motion or tilt sensor. Eg. no embarrassing tannoy call outs on the ferry

On the LR/R is via the App, there is a toggle to enable/disable.
Ah, of course, that makes it a very important feature!

Funnily enough, the app doesn't do it anymore, at least not that i can see. There are options to do so in the dashboard menus though, apparently.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #55
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
On the forums, there are a number of people with major issues and a number with a history of faultless LRs. In the likes of JDPower, statistically they have double or triple the faults of the really reliable manufacturers like Lexus/Hyundai. Which doesn't sound too bad (tripling not a lot is ok). What the stats don't show is how many of the Hyundai faults are a dodgy button vs. how many LRs collapsed at the roadside

The feel and functionality of the product has persuaded me to take the risk. I'd rather have a slightly misbehaving but idiosyncratic great thing than a perfectly functioning middling thing - if that makes sense.

In order of priority, I am hoping for the following:

1. I've got a good one. Between Bridgend and Slovakia, no-one had a Friday afternoon moment.

2. Any inevitable faults I have are of the minor "drop it into the dealer next month/note it at the service" kind.

3. If I've got a bad one and the engine explodes, that my dealer is helpful in sourcing loaners and replacements.

Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 06:12 AM   #56
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMB View Post
On the forums, there are a number of people with major issues and a number with a history of faultless LRs. In the likes of JDPower, statistically they have double or triple the faults of the really reliable manufacturers like Lexus/Hyundai. Which doesn't sound too bad (tripling not a lot is ok). What the stats don't show is how many of the Hyundai faults are a dodgy button vs. how many LRs collapsed at the roadside

The feel and functionality of the product has persuaded me to take the risk. I'd rather have a slightly misbehaving but idiosyncratic great thing than a perfectly functioning middling thing - if that makes sense.

In order of priority, I am hoping for the following:

1. I've got a good one. Between Bridgend and Slovakia, no-one had a Friday afternoon moment.

2. Any inevitable faults I have are of the minor "drop it into the dealer next month/note it at the service" kind.

3. If I've got a bad one and the engine explodes, that my dealer is helpful in sourcing loaners and replacements.
I think you are going into it with the right attitude, you never know what you are going to get when you swap cars. My wife had a Jeep Cherokee (I know, but she liked it...) and after 3 years and 36k miles we decided to swap it for the same again except the LCI with a bigger engine and auto box.... The first one was great, never saw a garage except for service and tyres. The second one was a complete nightmare for electrical issues... was in the garage more than we had it. Gave up at 11 months and got a very fair settlement to sell it back to them....

Its a fab car, lets hope it is built how you would hope. Enjoy...
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 11:24 AM   #57
frazervalley
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

I hope the new wheels bring you much joy and satisfaction.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #58
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Just packed car up for summer holiday to France and I'm jealous of the interior of your car. The Q7 has zero storage compartments for such a big car. Unless they're so well hidden I can't find them. The main one under the arm rest barely fits my phone in!

My GC genuinely has more storage in the front.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #59
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Just packed car up for summer holiday to France and I'm jealous of the interior of your car. The Q7 has zero storage compartments for such a big car. Unless they're so well hidden I can't find them. The main one under the arm rest barely fits my phone in!

My GC genuinely has more storage in the front.
I didn't pick that up when I looked at the Q7 in the showroom. Apart from the bits I pictured, there's also a huge box under the central armrest and two big glove boxes. Boot is a bit lacking in side storage, no netted areas. Some have a big space on the left, but the third row air con unit fills it on this model - first world problem!

All of that said, I'm more jealous that you are driving off to France! Enjoy

Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #60
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
I didn't pick that up when I looked at the Q7 in the showroom. Apart from the bits I pictured, there's also a huge box under the central armrest and two big glove boxes. Boot is a bit lacking in side storage, no netted areas. Some have a big space on the left, but the third row air con unit fills it on this model - first world problem!

All of that said, I'm more jealous that you are driving off to France! Enjoy
You need a road trip holiday in yours now! No point in buying that car and only pottering around in it!

Christmas in the Alps?

We do a couple a year. This year it's South West France for summer and Christmas week were driving up to Northern Scotland for Christmas away in a rented house (I say house, but that might not be doing it justice!) with 3 other families, all road tripping together with a stop off in the Lakes on the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
isleaiw18759.00
mcoops1757.00
      08-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #61
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

RichMB Just arrived in Croatia after 1200ish miles. Pleased to report the car is still intact although the tracking's bit off so a quick trip to LR Zagreb tomorrow to sort. Average of 34.8 mpg which isn't too shabby.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #62
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
RichMB Just arrived in Croatia after 1200ish miles. Pleased to report the car is still intact although the tracking's bit off so a quick trip to LR Zagreb tomorrow to sort. Average of 34.8 mpg which isn't too shabby.
Nice one! Will be interesting to hear how LR Zagreb compare with your UK dealer.

34.8 is pretty good for a big comfy bus and I bet the AB semi-aniline leather/massaging seats made those miles pass effortlessly.

As Goneinsixtyseconds says, these cars are made for road trips and I'm definitely intending to use ours properly ove the coming years.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:02 AM   #63
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Never dreamed of driving to Croatia... a good friend is starting a job out there next month (Dubrovnik) - maybe I should have a drive down next Spring... flying no doubt cheaper though as I doubt I would average over 30mpg..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #64
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

That would be quite the epic road trip 👍🏻
      08-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #65
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

As everyone expects with JLR, it wasn't long before the first trip back to the dealer earlier this week.

BUT it was only to fit the roof bars which we had delayed to enable as early a pick up as possible. I'm pleased with how they look...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
isleaiw18759.00
F20MAW73874.50
      08-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #66
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
As everyone expects with JLR, it wasn't long before the first trip back to the dealer earlier this week.

BUT it was only to fit the roof bars which we had delayed to enable as early a pick up as possible. I'm pleased with how they look...
Looking good. Getting something up on to them may be a challenge though!
Appreciate 1