F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F32 changed to M4 seats
Studio RSR

07-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #111
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Another note that I don't think has been mentioned:

When doing a M4 seat swap into a F32 - you must disable the Auto SeatBelt Butler (extenders)

I found this out recently when I did my M4 into F32 swap - due to the 'ears' at the top of the M4 seats - when the extenders come out they 1st hit the seat at this spot and then when trying to retract, the seat belt hook gets caught in the edge of the bezel going around the seat backrest fold lever & jams in the extended position

This makes sense as most M4 rear quarter panels I have seen don't have seat belt butlers - there is a blank plastic plate on the panel instead

Some say to remove fuse to disable them, but then apparently there is a code thrown

I simply popped the top of the quarter panels off, reached down & unplugged the (2) wires going to the extenders from the small module on panel & all is well - no extend + no errors

I guess you could also code these off also, but I only have Carly & didn't see the option to turn them off, so I did the next best thing...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 03:05 PM   #112
mat9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Another note that I don't think has been mentioned:

When doing a M4 seat swap into a F32 - you must disable the Auto SeatBelt Butler (extenders)

I found this out recently when I did my M4 into F32 swap - due to the 'ears' at the top of the M4 seats - when the extenders come out they 1st hit the seat at this spot and then when trying to retract, the seat belt hook gets caught in the edge of the bezel going around the seat backrest fold lever & jams in the extended position

This makes sense as most M4 rear quarter panels I have seen don't have seat belt butlers - there is a blank plastic plate on the panel instead

Some say to remove fuse to disable them, but then apparently there is a code thrown

I simply popped the top of the quarter panels off, reached down & unplugged the (2) wires going to the extenders from the small module on panel & all is well - no extend + no errors

I guess you could also code these off also, but I only have Carly & didn't see the option to turn them off, so I did the next best thing...
I removed the fuse and didn't get a code, it's been at least 4 months since I did it...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #113
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat9 View Post
I removed the fuse and didn't get a code, it's been at least 4 months since I did it...
Just goes to show you don't believe everything you read on the internet

Fake News on the fuse = code
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #114
tdesanto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435ix

Thank you to everyone for the participation in this thread. Amazing amount of information and collaboration. Without this wealth of knowledge, I don't think I'd even entertain taking on this project.

Thus, I'm thinking about trying to install F82 seats into my F32. I currently have the comfort seats with electronic adjustment/ memory, seat heaters, and lumbar support. I have found F82 seats with everything electronic too, including the addition of side bolster adjustment.

It would seem that I need to be prepared for swapping the air bag and module? If so, and my current seats don't have the side bolster adjustment option, if I were to swap in my F32 seat module, I would likely lose that functionality in the F82 seats, right?

I kept reading throughout this thread that clearing the code might be an option? I have Reingold--is that where I'd try to do that instead of swapping in my old module? My hope would be that if I could keep the F82 module, then I might be able to retain all the original features of those seats?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #115
mhhforyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 420da

Garage List
2014 BMW 420da  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdesanto View Post
Thank you to everyone for the participation in this thread. Amazing amount of information and collaboration. Without this wealth of knowledge, I don't think I'd even entertain taking on this project.

Thus, I'm thinking about trying to install F82 seats into my F32. I currently have the comfort seats with electronic adjustment/ memory, seat heaters, and lumbar support. I have found F82 seats with everything electronic too, including the addition of side bolster adjustment.

It would seem that I need to be prepared for swapping the air bag and module? If so, and my current seats don't have the side bolster adjustment option, if I were to swap in my F32 seat module, I would likely lose that functionality in the F82 seats, right?

I kept reading throughout this thread that clearing the code might be an option? I have Reingold--is that where I'd try to do that instead of swapping in my old module? My hope would be that if I could keep the F82 module, then I might be able to retain all the original features of those seats?
Seat Modul = Seat ECU = SM2. This SM2 is the same in F82 and F32. You dont have to change this.
Also Side Airbag ist the same in F82 and F32. No need to change.
If you have electric seat in your F32 Side bolster adjustment dont need wiring adjustment. You only have to code it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #116
tdesanto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhforyou View Post
Seat Modul = Seat ECU = SM2. This SM2 is the same in F82 and F32. You dont have to change this.
Also Side Airbag ist the same in F82 and F32. No need to change.
If you have electric seat in your F32 Side bolster adjustment dont need wiring adjustment. You only have to code it.
Thank you for the quick reply. Sounds straight forward then; not sure why others had to swap air bags and modules. Could that have to do with the donor car for the F82 seats having been in an accident? The ones I'm looking at are from an accident F82 donor car.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 02:43 AM   #117
mhhforyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 420da

Garage List
2014 BMW 420da  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdesanto View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. Sounds straight forward then; not sure why others had to swap air bags and modules. Could that have to do with the donor car for the F82 seats having been in an accident? The ones I'm looking at are from an accident F82 donor car.
There are only 2 states an Airbag can have. Ok or triggered. If its ok no changes needed. If the Airbag was triggered the Airbag have to be replaced and the side bolster of the seat also as its damaged.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #118
md-370z
Private
Rep
Drives: 132 coupe

M4 seats as man cave chairs- how to get them to move

hi guys,

I am very new to electronics so still stumped after reading this thread. i have set of m4 seats i want to convert to chairs as my m4 is track only. so i have two seats for my man cave.

Im just wondering if there is a way to have power function back in the seats with maybe a small battery to allow it to move for comfort?

what prong should be connected to regain basic movement of the chair?

thanks for the advice!
JAY
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #119
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
So much to learn in this thread... now about retrofitting heated seats in as well..
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:05 PM   #120
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Anyone tried to retrofit M2 seats?
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #121
A12251992
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 bmw z4

Looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #122
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Hey guys just a heads up to those who were following my F82 M4 seat conversion into my F30 328. Ironically these were actually Mousejunior's old seats at the beginning of this thread.

*Conversion Complete*

Earlier today I took apart the wiring harness in my passenger seat and reviewed both my car and the m4 seat set-ups against the wiring diagrams. I was able to get my hands on all the schematics finally.

As it turns out the orange and green wires (#5 and #6) which are data wires were not talking to the car. I rewired the two wires to my corresponding driver seat wires (as they are "daisy chained" per the wiring diagrams) and now both my seats are fully functional. I've even gained the bolster/lumbar adjustment and illuminated M light features which I didn't have before. The bolster/lumbar adjustment wasn't getting power. Wire #1 was going to a position on my car that had no power on the other end - I ran it to #25 and success.

Insight for those with Luxury or Comfort Line cars:
The reason these seats (or M3 seats even) would not have been plug and play in my car is specifically because I have a Luxury Line and my original passenger seat was only wired for the heat option. Should my car have been a sport line this all would have likely been plug and play like others experienced.

Reference:
M / Sport seat photo on top
Luxury seat on bottom
Attached Images

Last edited by 7iM3less; 05-24-2020 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #123
Cartes07
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 328i

I know this is an old thread but is anyone selling some seats rn?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #124
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartes07 View Post
I know this is an old thread but is anyone selling some seats rn?
Look in the Interior classifieds section

There a set of M4 seats for 2k FS
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:13 AM   #125
Bubble Boy
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC340_F30 View Post
Hey guys just a heads up to those who were following my F82 M4 seat conversion into my F30 328. Ironically these were actually Mousejunior's old seats at the beginning of this thread.

*Conversion Complete*

Earlier today I took apart the wiring harness in my passenger seat and reviewed both my car and the m4 seat set-ups against the wiring diagrams. I was able to get my hands on all the schematics finally.

As it turns out the orange and green wires (#5 and #6) which are data wires were not talking to the car. I rewired the two wires to my corresponding driver seat wires (as they are "daisy chained" per the wiring diagrams) and now both my seats are fully functional. I've even gained the bolster/lumbar adjustment and illuminated M light features which I didn't have before. The bolster/lumbar adjustment wasn't getting power. Wire #1 was going to a position on my car that had no power on the other end - I ran it to #25 and success.

Insight for those with Luxury or Comfort Line cars:
The reason these seats (or M3 seats even) would not have been plug and play in my car is specifically because I have a Luxury Line and my original passenger seat was only wired for the heat option. Should my car have been a sport line this all would have likely been plug and play like others experienced.

Reference:
M / Sport seat photo on top
Luxury seat on bottom

What did you change and on which seat? I have the same car same issue but I don’t understand exactly what you changed and on which seat. I am beyond frustrated so any help would be appreciated.

I was going to private message you to see if you could share the diagrams via email but I am too new to private message
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #126
SergioLeitao
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F31 320d Pack M

Very beautyfull seat, the best of the best .
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 01:22 AM   #127
DarbyM2
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87 OG

david51 Can anyone help me with wiring the lights up? What wire and connectors should I use? and if anyone has any pictures that would be amazing!
(OG M2 w/ M4C seats)

Last edited by DarbyM2; 08-26-2021 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:48 AM   #128
FredB75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E66

I just purchased a set of F33 seats from a 2016 428i convertible to use in a 71 Chevelle convertible. The connector under the seat is like the F30 seats. I finally got the seats to power up and continue to work without timing out after 30 seconds. But the passenger seat works in reverse for up/down and front/back. All the other functions work as they should on the seat. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? I linked a video of the seat operating for viewing.

Thanks in advance.

Fred
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:56 PM   #129
david51
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: bmw M3 F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB75 View Post
I just purchased a set of F33 seats from a 2016 428i convertible to use in a 71 Chevelle convertible. The connector under the seat is like the F30 seats. I finally got the seats to power up and continue to work without timing out after 30 seconds. But the passenger seat works in reverse for up/down and front/back. All the other functions work as they should on the seat. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? I linked a video of the seat operating for viewing.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

it will be necessary to reset the seats with ista so that everything returns to normal
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 09:11 AM   #130
macRS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 lci

Bit of a thread revival. I’ve fitted M4 seats to my F87 M2. My question is, does anyone know if you can use any of the other pins on the blue connector that connects to the FEM? I took mine apart and already have a grey purple wire connected to pin 52, it’s obviously used for something else in the F87. 53 is free but not sure if it’s usable or not.

Obviously the other option is to de-pin the red wire on the footwell lights and add a wire that runs to pin 7 on the under seat connectors but would rather use the FEM if possible.

Last edited by macRS; 01-25-2023 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 11:57 AM   #131
macRS
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 lci

Found the answer in ISTA+. It looks like 52 is the puddle lights on the F87. It also looks like I will be able to use 53 as it's designated for interior lights anyway, so should work fine for my seat emblems as well.
Appreciate 0