F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 340i MPPSk vs G20 M340i
GetBMWParts

07-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
M4ENY
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive MPPSK

F30 340i MPPSk vs G20 M340i

I have been driving my 2017 340i MPPSK for 2 years now with close to 48000km of daily driving/road trips.

I got a chance to test drive the new M340i and wanted to share my thoughts on how they are different and similar to one another for those considering to upgrade to the G20 or save and get a F30.

The first thing I noticed was M340i's lack of "Cold Start" exhaust note when turning on the engine. My 340i MPPSK does a cold start exhaust every time and I personally love hearing the loud exhaust note every time I start my car.

2nd was M340i's extra Hp/Tq when giving gas to the car. Even though the 340i MPPSK is not a slow car by any means you can definitely feel the new M340i's power when speeding on to a highway or merging on to a bridge.

3rd M340i brings more features that makes it feel like a current gen car like the digital speedometer, laser headlight, much more interior ambient lighting options and the powered open/close trunk.

4th M340i's exhaust note in daily and more spirited driving feels somewhat lower in volume and less frequent in how much crackle, pop and "gunshots" you hear from the exhaust.

The steering feel and transmission behaviour both felt identical to the 340i MPPSK in that I didn't really notice any big difference... this maybe due to the fact that I never drove my car to it's limit and during the test drive I didn't have the opportunity to test the handling specifically.

I do feel like going from my current 340i MPPSK to a M340i wouldn't feel like an upgrade if I do decide to go that route when my lease ends in 2 years. I expected the M340i to blow away the 340i MPPSK in driving experience but I only ended up feeling like it was better in someways while being worse in others (I.E exhaust note volume and frequency of the pops and crackles)
Appreciate 2
Beek707.00
      07-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
SMKN LS1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Thanks for answering the question that’s been in my head for awhile now. Good comparison.

I’m curious, did you feel any impact from the limited slip differential in the M340 vs the 340/MPPSK?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I'm not too surprised the M340 exhaust is toned down a bit compared to MPPSK. I've resigned myself to the fact that whatever my next car is, it isn't going to sound as good as what I've got now does. Thanks for sharing your views.
      07-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
M4ENY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKN LS1 View Post
Thanks for answering the question that's been in my head for awhile now. Good comparison.

I'm curious, did you feel any impact from the limited slip differential in the M340 vs the 340/MPPSK?
I didn't notice any difference from that in the M340i. I was mainly looking for any noticeable differences in daily driving and spirited driving during the test drive (what I always do driving my 340i MPPSK).
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:37 PM   #5
M4ENY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I'm not too surprised the M340 exhaust is toned down a bit compared to MPPSK. I've resigned myself to the fact that whatever my next car is, it isn't going to sound as good as what I've got now does. Thanks for sharing your views.
I think I too have accepted the fact that my next vehicle won't sound as good as the 340i MPPSK as well.

I feel like they toned down the exhaust note on the M340i to make the //M3 more attractive.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ENY View Post
I think I too have accepted the fact that my next vehicle won't sound as good as the 340i MPPSK as well.

I feel like they toned down the exhaust note on the M340i to make the //M3 more attractive.
Well there might be an MPPSK for the M340i (though probably not). There is an M Performance exhaust though, which is what you should be comparing the 340i MPPSK to.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Well there might be an MPPSK for the M340i (though probably not). There is an M Performance exhaust though, which is what you should be comparing the 340i MPPSK to.
I can’t find an MPE listed on the accessories web site for M340, can you provide a part number? Thank’s!
      07-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
M4ENY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:

I think that may be the reason why stock M340i didnt sound as good as the one that comes with MPPSK for 340i
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
ReRe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Thanks for answering the question that's been in my head for awhile now. Good comparison.

I'm curious, did you feel any impact from the limited slip differential in the M340 vs the 340/MPPSK?
Hey, just wanted to chime in, I have a 340i ZHP, so I have both the mppsk and m-performance lsd, and I also recently test drove an m340i (rwd), albeit a short drive. So while I can't give a great deal of feedback in regards to the entire package compared to my f30, it did feel like the lsd in the g20 was better than the normal f30 (with no lsd) but not as good my lsd... although this was a small sample size and could be due to the car not being broken in.

I would compare the lsd to the exhaust by saying that a stock g20 exhaust is closer to the mppsk but still between it and the normal f30 exhaust.. same holds true for the lsd in regards to an m performance fitted lsd and a stock f30

Hope this makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRe View Post
Quote:

Hey, just wanted to chime in, I have a 340i ZHP, so I have both the mppsk and m-performance lsd, and I also recently test drove an m340i (rwd), albeit a short drive. So while I can't give a great deal of feedback in regards to the entire package compared to my f30, it did feel like the lsd in the g20 was better than the normal f30 (with no lsd) but not as good my lsd... although this was a small sample size and could be due to the car not being broken in.

I would compare the lsd to the exhaust by saying that a stock g20 exhaust is closer to the mppsk but still between it and the normal f30 exhaust.. same holds true for the lsd in regards to an m performance fitted lsd and a stock f30

Hope this makes sense!
Yeah I think the mppsk exhaust is louder with more pops and bangs than the standard m340i exhaust. It looks like you just get burbles. Maybe a flash tune will be able to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:15 PM   #11
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

G20 will prob have the OPF fitted... hence the sound differences
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I drove an M340 yesterday as part of the M Town Tour event traveling around the country.

Overall I was impressed by the car, but the new digital display didn't do anything for me. I like the way it looks, but in execution I wasn't a fan. It isn't as easy to read at a glance like traditional styled gauges or distinguish what is going on with your peripheral vision.

One thing I noticed no one mentioned was the body stiffness. I didn't get to run the car though any real high speed turns, but while trying to maximize the few turns I did encounter there was a real sense of rigidity that went beyond the what the suspension delivered.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #13
M4ENY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I drove an M340 yesterday as part of the M Town Tour event traveling around the country.

Overall I was impressed by the car, but the new digital display didn't do anything for me. I like the way it looks, but in execution I wasn't a fan. It isn't as easy to read at a glance like traditional styled gauges or distinguish what is going on with your peripheral vision.

One thing I noticed no one mentioned was the body stiffness. I didn't get to run the car though any real high speed turns, but while trying to maximize the few turns I did encounter there was a real sense of rigidity that went beyond the what the suspension delivered.
That is good to know. I personally did not have a chance to test out cornering capability during my test drive but that is great to hear.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #14
M4ENY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this makes sense!
Yeah I think the mppsk exhaust is louder with more pops and bangs than the standard m340i exhaust. It looks like you just get burbles. Maybe a flash tune will be able to fix that.
I certainly hope so... I do not want a downgrade from MPPSK Exhaust if I can. Puts a smile on my face every time you get nice pops crackle and "gunshots".
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22588.50
      07-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this makes sense!
I certainly hope so... I do not want a downgrade from MPPSK Exhaust if I can. Puts a smile on my face every time you get nice pops crackle and "gunshots".
Yeah the gunshots are awesome. Haven't heard an m340i do that. Maybe it's to appeal to the masses but they can just include an on off switch.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #16
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Am I the only one who finds the pops and crackles tiresome over time? They would be cool when flogging the car at a track or down a back road, but I couldn't imagine it in daily use.

A couple of years ago I drove a 340 with the MPPSK and liked the exhaust note, but after the first couple of minutes the reast of the noises went from entertaining to annoying. Being caught in slow moving traffic towards the end of the test drive probably didn't help. Every time I would creep forward and let off the throttle there was a riot of noise at the back of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
M4ENY
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Am I the only one who finds the pops and crackles tiresome over time? They would be cool when flogging the car at a track or down a back road, but I couldn't imagine it in daily use.

A couple of years ago I drove a 340 with the MPPSK and liked the exhaust note, but after the first couple of minutes the reast of the noises went from entertaining to annoying. Being caught in slow moving traffic towards the end of the test drive probably didn't help. Every time I would creep forward and let off the throttle there was a riot of noise at the back of the car.
And that is what "comfort" mode or "sport only for suspension and steering" is for
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #18
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The loudest gunshots only happen when letting off from WOT so not in traffic and you can put it in comfort mode if it's too bothersome. You can use S to have better performance but there isn't a way to keep the valves closed in sport or closed above 4k rpm which won't happen much in D and comfort while in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #19
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Hope this makes sense!
I have a ZHP as well and agree. I wonder if the LSD on the M340i is an M Performance LSD like our ZHP's? Also, the exhaust on the M340i was still a little too subtle for my tastes. I didn't find the M340i to be much faster than my ZHP but it probably is by a little bit.

Nice car my friend!
Appreciate 1
ReRe397.50
      07-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #20
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Quote:

Hope this makes sense!
I have a ZHP as well and agree. I wonder if the LSD on the M340i is an M Performance LSD like our ZHP's? Also, the exhaust on the M340i was still a little too subtle for my tastes. I didn't find the M340i to be much faster than my ZHP but it probably is by a little bit.

Nice car my friend!
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this makes sense!

Nice car my friend!
Even an M3 isn't vastly faster than a 340 or m340.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #21
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep....Very true.
Appreciate 1
bimmer4562950.00
      07-17-2019, 11:35 PM   #22
M4ENY
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this makes sense!

Nice car my friend!
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this makes sense!

Nice car my friend!
I feel like that may change though with the Gx0 generation //M with their fancy M Xdrive.

500hp with AWD I feel like we are looking at mid 3 second to 60mph
Appreciate 0