F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip CarPlay
GetBMWParts

01-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #89
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: -18 i3S, -10 E90 320ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atiqofsweden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChang View Post
I dont have a clue but hope you get help.
I am also thinking of installing this unit but what is your car specs? Myself I have a 320d manufactured 2014-02 with the basic small screen (no navi), bluetooth professional (combox in trunk I think) an H/K sound. Is it possible to install in my car?
Same specs as me, except for the H/K sound i think it should be possible for your car!

try asking unichips support chat on their site!
http://www.unichip-tec.com/
Important note, if your car is equipped with the rear combox you have to tell Unichip this, so they can ship the correct cable, see below
Attached Images

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 04:16 AM   #90
MrChang
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport MG 2014

I got reply from Unichip and they say the unit will work in my car. And regarding combox they say: "Compared with other BMW without COMBOX,you just need to install one AUX cable to connect to your armrest box AUX socket when install carplay box."
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #91
acdt
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Sport

Hi Guys

Bought one from Uni chip tried to install this morning, but didn't work, I have a f80 M3 with H/K sound, as soon as I plug in the box I loose volume on all services, also the screen just stays blank when pressing 8. I proceeded to change the dip switches also didnt work,

Trying to get Uni chip to support but on a Saturday I am not hopeful

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #92
b-merf30
Rep
Drives: Black on black 328i

This looks cool! where can I buy one of these?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #93
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

You can buy it from the manufacturer or from codemybimmer.

http://www.unichip-tec.com

http://www.codemybimmer.ca/product/apple-carplay-hardware-add-pre-2017-bmw-vehicles/

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-merf30 View Post
This looks cool! where can I buy one of these?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #94
lanceuppercut40
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Does the preset button to switch to CarPlay mode have to be "8"? Or can it be set to any of the preset buttons.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #95
laggysogxx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive (F30)

Quote:
Important note, if your car is equipped with the rear combox you have to tell Unichip this, so they can ship the correct cable, see below
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdt View Post
Hi Guys

Bought one from Uni chip tried to install this morning, but didn't work, I have a f80 M3 with H/K sound, as soon as I plug in the box I loose volume on all services, also the screen just stays blank when pressing 8. I proceeded to change the dip switches also didnt work,

Trying to get Uni chip to support but on a Saturday I am not hopeful

Any ideas?

Thanks
Andrew
I ran into a similar problem where I couldn't get the video to work. I believe there are 4 possible configurations for the video resolution. Here's how I got my video to work.

1) Make sure everything is plugged in and installed.
2) Change the dip switches to all HHHHH position.
3) Plug in your iPhone and press 8 button for the carplay shortcut.
4) It probably won't work and will only show black screen.
5) Try 4 different combinations for the dip switch one by one. Leave your iPhone plugged in the whole time. Press the reset button every time after changing your dip switch combo. Try out all combos until you find the working set.
6) After finding the working set, place all the dip switch back to HHHHH position.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 09:56 PM   #96
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Could you please share the wiring diagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycho7 View Post
I ran into the exact same situation as you and I just contacted Unichip for an aux cable. Did you get it to work?

Also, looks like I'll have to wire the aux cable into the adapter myself and the diagram provided by the Unichip rep wasn't very helpful. Would you mind sharing how you got yours wired? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:34 AM   #97
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you. I was expecting something much more detailed.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #98
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I ran into the exact same situation as you and I just contacted Unichip for an aux cable. Did you get it to work?

Also, looks like I'll have to wire the aux cable into the adapter myself and the diagram provided by the Unichip rep wasn't very helpful. Would you mind sharing how you got yours wired? Thanks.
You need to splice the 3 cables from the aux cord (red,white, black,) with the 3 cables in the middle of the connector on the main cable, this would be the widest of the two connectors that plug into the carplay box, then you run the aux cable to your armrest and plug in the 3.5mm audio jack.

this will work if you have preseted the aux front audio source to button nr "8"!

as mentioned above, it has to be nr"8"

if you press long on nr7 you can open a menu wich will let you select backup cam, it will work if you connect a backup cam to the yellow RCA cable! (according to Unichip lead engineer)

Good luck!

feel free to ask if you have more questions!

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #99
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

The black red and white cables in the middle here are the ones you need to splice into!

NOTE that there is a red white and black cable at the sides of the connector as well, ignore these!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:58 AM   #100
laggysogxx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive (F30)

Quote:
The black red and white cables in the middle here are the ones you need to splice into!

NOTE that there is a red white and black cable at the sides of the connector as well, ignore these!
Thank you. Unichip rep is shipping out an additional aux cable out to me and I will post my update here soon after installation.

***NOTE FOR OTHER BUYERS: BTW Unichip charged me an additional shipping cost for the aux cable, which in my opinion is their fault for not asking exact detail of my vehicle in first place and just kept on saying "it will work 100%" without knowing the exact config of my vehicle. I did get a discount from them initially when I purchased the unit, but still. Something to be aware of.

If you aren't sure whether you need the aux cable, I would just tell Unichip rep in first place that you have the rear combox whether you have it or not. This way you'll always end up with that extra aux cable and don't have to wait around for extra couple of weeks. It doesn't hurt to have the cable at all.

Last edited by laggysogxx; 01-18-2018 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: formatting
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #101
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 320i

Need some advice.

I currently have the 6 inch screen and looking to upgrade.

My two options are OEM 8.8 + Unichip or 10.25 android with Carplay adapter (4x4 shop.ca)

I like the extra size of the 10 inch but I think their Apple car play does not give the same experience.

Seems like the unichip will really use Apple Maps, while the Android still uses Google.

What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #102
b-merf30
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancarlin View Post
You can buy it from the manufacturer or from codemybimmer.

http://www.unichip-tec.com

http://www.codemybimmer.ca/product/a...-bmw-vehicles/

I'll check them out. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #103
b-merf30
Rep

So for the camera you just, connect a camera to the yellow RCA and hold down 7 to activate it?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #104
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Unichip rep is shipping out an additional aux cable out to me and I will post my update here soon after installation.

***NOTE FOR OTHER BUYERS: BTW Unichip charged me an additional shipping cost for the aux cable, which in my opinion is their fault for not asking exact detail of my vehicle in first place and just kept on saying "it will work 100%" without knowing the exact config of my vehicle. I did get a discount from them initially when I purchased the unit, but still. Something to be aware of.

If you aren't sure whether you need the aux cable, I would just tell Unichip rep in first place that you have the rear combox whether you have it or not. This way you'll always end up with that extra aux cable and don't have to wait around for extra couple of weeks. It doesn't hurt to have the cable at all.

Yes, i agree with you on this, they charged me aswell.

plus when i experimented with plugging in the new aux cable into the connector on the main harness i broke it, they charged me extra for a new main cable with the aux cable pre installed, wich is the cable i should have gotten from the very beginning...

my advice would be, dont try to push the pins out of the connector unless you know what you are doing, you are much better off splicing them into the cables that are already there!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #105
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
So for the camera you just, connect a camera to the yellow RCA and hold down 7 to activate it?
yes, this should work, ill report back when i've tried it out!

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #106
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
Rep

You just plug in the RCA and connect the red 12v camera wire. Then you go in #7 and enable the camera. It has reverse guidelines that track with your wheels turning.
Quote:

Last edited by seancarlin; 01-18-2018 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #107
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post
Need some advice.

My two options are OEM 8.8 + Unichip or 10.25 android with Carplay adapter (4x4 shop.ca)

I like the extra size of the 10 inch but I think their Apple car play does not give the same experience.

Seems like the unichip will really use Apple Maps, while the Android still uses Google.

What are your thoughts?
Sort of in the same boat as u but why isn't one of your options NBT retrofit? Seems to me that is by far the best route and likely will be what I do if I can ever afford it
      01-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #108
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Quote:
Need some advice.

What are your thoughts?
Sort of in the same boat as u but why isn't one of your options NBT retrofit? Seems to me that is by far the best route and likely will be what I do if I can ever afford it
Yes I've narrowed it down to 2 options.

8.8 screen with Unichip
F10 NBT retrofit with 10.25

The main option I'm interested in is Carplay, I don't really need GPS if I can use my phone, same thing for Bluetooth.

The only advantage for me to go NBT is if I can get the bigger 10.25 screen
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 06:42 PM   #109
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Need some advice.

What are your thoughts?

8.8 screen with Unichip

The main option I'm interested in is Carplay, I don't really need GPS if I can use my phone, same thing for Bluetooth.

I see, if this unichip worked via Bluetooth I would be all over it. You do realize it doesn't provide Bluetooth audio right?
      01-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #110
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Need some advice.

What are your thoughts?

8.8 screen with Unichip

I see, if this unichip worked via Bluetooth I would be all over it. You do realize it doesn't provide Bluetooth audio right?
If I understand correctly if your phone is plugged in you get music and still get navigation correct?
Appreciate 0