F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Finally, a good non-camber plate camber solution for xDrive (and RWD too)!
proTUNING Freaks

03-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #23
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funseries View Post
So with any of these adjustable camber bushings, none of them should move the top of the wheel closer to the fender at all, is that right? I was going to go with full M3 control arms but they don't actually help with fender clearance at all.
I don't believe it should. I didn't notice any difference when putting my wider track wheels on.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #24
madriz
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i f32

good morning, what are the advantages and disadvantages of mounting the lower arms of the F80?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #25
opvaulet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriz View Post
good morning, what are the advantages and disadvantages of mounting the lower arms of the F80?
Pros I Guess are better feel and front end grip
Cons are NVH mainly.

I would be interested to know if F80 arms can be refitted the bushings from the standard arms to retain some NVH characteristics, though possibly losing some directness.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #26
madriz
Private
Rep

Whats de meaning of NVH?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #27
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriz View Post
Whats de meaning of NVH?
Noise, Vibration and Harshness
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #28
madriz
Private
Rep

thanks!

my bmw 440 comes standard with 0.9 degrees of camber. I read here that they have 0.5. I do not know if in the European market it is different (I am from Spain).

I do not want noises or vibrations, so you only recommend me adjustable powerflex silentblocks?

Can you put some arm of the F80, would it have gain in camber?

Regards, and thank you very much

you only recommend me
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #29
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

To farkle several months/miles later, are you still pleased with these bushings? And if negative camber has such positive effects on driving performance what is the downside? Why would bmw be so opposed to it when designing the car?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 05:43 PM   #30
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
To farkle several months/miles later, are you still pleased with these bushings? And if negative camber has such positive effects on driving performance what is the downside? Why would bmw be so opposed to it when designing the car?
I have no complaints about the KMAC bushings (aside from one-time issues you might encounter on installation). I still highly recommend them.

Typically mfgs don't offer solutions like that due to NVH concerns, tire wear, and cost. You have to remember they're designing for the lowest common denominator (otherwise the F3x wouldn't have been so soul-less and comfort oriented). If you look at more niche vehicles (such as M-cars and Z4/Supra) you'll see higher negative camber and stiffer bushings as OE.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #31
SeattleLSB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, M50I

Will this fix the outside tire feathering/wear issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:16 PM   #32
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I have no complaints about the KMAC bushings (aside from one-time issues you might encounter on installation). I still highly recommend them.

Typically mfgs don't offer solutions like that due to NVH concerns, tire wear, and cost. You have to remember they're designing for the lowest common denominator (otherwise the F3x wouldn't have been so soul-less and comfort oriented). If you look at more niche vehicles (such as M-cars and Z4/Supra) you'll see higher negative camber and stiffer bushings as OE.
Thanks again. I felt lazy after asking yesterday so I Googled a bit and read up on camber for myself last night. Seems like a little more wouldn't hurt, so long it's not excessively negative. You guys need to quit finding mods for us! I'm never going to retire at this rate... Or I just need to avoid the dang forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #33
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleLSB View Post
If you're talking about getting more wear on the outside and shoulders of the tire vs the inside, then yes, you need more negative camber for that.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 03:58 PM   #34
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
It might help with this but feathering is usually a sign of poor dampening or tired shocks not being able to keep up with how the wheel is articulating.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #35
SeattleLSB
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5, M50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Quote:
It might help with this but feathering is usually a sign of poor dampening or tired shocks not being able to keep up with how the wheel is articulating.
Unlikely with a car with 25k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #36
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

I am looking at these bushings as a way to increase camber. Thankfully some genius at BMW decided that adding a front axle to the 340i was a great way to combat the now tablespoon of snow we get annually thanks to warmer winters. Billions in snow removal infrastructure and snow tires? No, no, let's ruin your front end suspension tuning options by adding an axle. Everyone knows that adding more sh*t to a car makes it WAY more reliable.

My question is way, way more basic. Which 'control arm' do the K-Mac bushing replace? The nomenclature is killing me. There is the wishbone and the tension strut (which itself acts like a wishbone). I wish they would have called it the 'straight' one and the 'wavy' one. So the K-Mac bushings replace the bushing in the 'wavy' control arm or the 'straight' arm?

Please let it be the one where I have to partially remove the axle so I can add another hour to a straight forward repair.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:08 AM   #37
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
My question is way, way more basic. Which 'control arm' do the K-Mac bushing replace? The nomenclature is killing me. There is the wishbone and the tension strut (which itself acts like a wishbone). I wish they would have called it the 'straight' one and the 'wavy' one. So the K-Mac bushings replace the bushing in the 'wavy' control arm or the 'straight' arm?

Please let it be the one where I have to partially remove the axle so I can add another hour to a straight forward repair.
The KMAC "camber" bushing described in this thread is for the "wishbone/LCA" or "straight" arm that doesn't require the collar bolt to be undone and is a pretty quick swap. It's no different than swapping the part on the RWD model.

KMAC also makes a tension strut "wavy arm" monoball that allows you to adjust caster.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #38
zole2112
Modder of everything I own
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
The KMAC "camber" bushing described in this thread is for the "wishbone/LCA" or "straight" arm that doesn't require the collar bolt to be undone and is a pretty quick swap. It's no different than swapping the part on the RWD model.

KMAC also makes a tension strut "wavy arm" monoball that allows you to adjust caster.
lol I was just going to say that! I'm going to go with the KMAC when the snow stops here and it's warm. Thanks for the info!!!
2013 BMW 335xi F30 N55 PWG/VRSF DP/ER CP/Injen CAI/AA FMIC/JB4 map 7/Fuel= E50 w/ E85:93oct/Stock LPFP & HPFP/CATuned coilovers/Megan Racing Rear Swaybar/Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts/Dual aFe Power Mach Force Mufflers/Resonator Delete/MHD & BMS Race BEF
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #39
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

I will never recommend Kevin's work again.

He is inconsistent at best, although we are only lucky that he is down the street and so he can actually remedy our issues in person.

Latest kerfuffle is a camber plate that was manufactured out of spec. Caused catastrophic failure of a B14 strut - Kevin is paying to have the struts rebuilt and has refunded the camber plate part.

This was after the same camber top made for another friend had a hairline crack on arrival which Kevin also paid to remake and reinstall.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #40
ifobd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjaman View Post
I will never recommend Kevin's work again.

He is inconsistent at best, although we are only lucky that he is down the street and so he can actually remedy our issues in person.

Latest kerfuffle is a camber plate that was manufactured out of spec. Caused catastrophic failure of a B14 strut - Kevin is paying to have the struts rebuilt and has refunded the camber plate part.

This was after the same camber top made for another friend had a hairline crack on arrival which Kevin also paid to remake and reinstall.
Who is kevin?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 02:18 PM   #41
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifobd View Post
Who is kevin?
Owner of K-MAC.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #42
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FaRKle! - ok ok ok you got me reading! A couple of things:

1. Tilt - with the camber plate, the wheel tilts inside of the fender well. With the KMAC bushing, does yours do the same?

2. Caster - Camber plates keep the wheel caster static. But will the KMAC bushings move the wheel forward like the M3/M4 control arms?

Eying the KMACs as an option.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #43
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
FaRKle! - ok ok ok you got me reading! A couple of things:

1. Tilt - with the camber plate, the wheel tilts inside of the fender well. With the KMAC bushing, does yours do the same?

2. Caster - Camber plates keep the wheel caster static. But will the KMAC bushings move the wheel forward like the M3/M4 control arms?

Eying the KMACs as an option.
1) Lengthening the LCA pushes the bottom of the knuckle/wheel outwards instead of bringing the top of the wheel in.

2) Due to the geometry of the arms, increasing the LCA length also increases caster. It's not a large enough increase that would require you to do something about it though (I liked the additional steering weight from it). IIRC it set my caster from about 7deg to 7.7deg.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:47 PM   #44
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FaRKle! - thanks! What size tire and about how much room do you still have from fender to wheel? The 435i is tricky because my wheel well isn't like the other f30 cars. My best guess, in making the track 2" (?) wider than the F30, they left the fender well the same, thus all these fun tire rub issues.
Appreciate 0