F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Another go flat success story.
Studio RSR

03-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #23
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
Get a spare. Don't put fix a flat in the tire. It'll ruin the TPMS
Spare tire is the best option.
Instead of fix a flat try any of the tire repair kits. A multi bit screwdriver and pliers will take out just about any screw/nail/etc. Repair with the plug/glue is easy and permanent with no mess inside the tire or damaged TPMS. This method of repair can be used with the tire on the car but it is easier if you take the tire off.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #24
Eville Rich
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 328dx wagon

I'd been reading that the Slime goo does not negatively affect the TPMS. Other research had people saying it just peels off once you change out the tire.

True or false? I'm looking to add a set of winter wheels/tires to the collection and was going to go with the go-flats. I already have the Slime compressor and goo. I'm also stocked up on two types of tire plugs. Belt and suspenders for me.

Eville Rich
2017 328dx wagon
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
Get a spare. Don't put fix a flat in the tire. It'll ruin the TPMS
i've reused a tpms from a tire that i used fix a flat with no issues to this day.
      03-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #26
paco29toy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

This is a very informative thread. I had one of my RF's fixed today due to small nail that was letting air out and found out that I need to start looking at buying new tires. Buying new RF's has been one of my bigger dilemmas because of how hard the car drives. I notice the big difference on how smooth go flats tires ride when I drive my wife's Scion. I already have a fix-a-flat can in my car just in case, and rather pay an extra $20 bucks or a Slime compressor and goo and be able to get regular tires for smoother ride. I'll let you guys know what I end up getting! Thanks to everyone for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #27
Christine22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 e35

Anyone using the Good Year Assurance Maxlife tires? I drive 30k miles per year, so although the Generals get great reviews, the 50k warranty isn't as attractive as the Maxlife's 85k warranty, for only $22 more per tire. With all the miles I drive, longevity is a concern for me, otherwise I'd be putting new tires on the car every 18 months. Would love to hear if anyone has experience with the Maxlifes.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy View Post
100% agree with everything you said. Spot on.

I have emergency fix a flat, but I'd be hard pressed to ever use it. A plug kit and a compressor are also now onboard, and for anything I can't patch myself, it's a tow. I'm ok with that. I've successfully patched dozens of tires roadside over the years and cars, trucks and bikes.

Heck of a deal you got bud -- I thought I did well!

Yeah, I've heard that the fix-a-flat can ruin the inside of the tire, but I very rarely get a flat tire, I have a road hazard policy, and if I have to buy a tire here and there these ones are only 90 bucks apiece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Quote:
100% agree with everything you said. Spot on.

I have emergency fix a flat, but I'd be hard pressed to ever use it. A plug kit and a compressor are also now onboard, and for anything I can't patch myself, it's a tow. I'm ok with that. I've successfully patched dozens of tires roadside over the years and cars, trucks and bikes.

Heck of a deal you got bud -- I thought I did well!

Yeah, I've heard that the fix-a-flat can ruin the inside of the tire, but I very rarely get a flat tire, I have a road hazard policy, and if I have to buy a tire here and there these ones are only 90 bucks apiece.
Don't use fix-a-flat, use Slime which cleans up easily. They have several products. I liked the air compressor electronic combo that sprays slime and air into tire together. About $42 at Walmart. Have already use compressor-only to tweak cold air pressures in driveway. Fits easily in trunk storage compartment
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2019, 08:58 PM   #29
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry77 View Post
I can't wait to need tires so I can make this change. I'm still trying to decide if my winter setup will be RFT or not though...(I have the wheels but haven't decided on tires).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry77 View Post
I can't wait to need tires so I can make this change. I'm still trying to decide if my winter setup will be RFT or not though...(I have the wheels but haven't decided on tires).
Last week I decided to put summer tires on now and save the current runflats with some tread left to use as winter tires. So happy that I did. Got a great deal at Sams club on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 245/40-18. (Upgraded size for best handling) They have a deal to switch them out for $10 each for winter. Can't say enough about these tires. Beyond my expectations!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:52 PM   #30
paco29toy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

When switching regular flat tires, do they still need to be set to what BMW recommends? 35 psi (front)/ 42psi (rear)
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #31
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paco29toy View Post
When switching regular flat tires, do they still need to be set to what BMW recommends? 35 psi (front)/ 42psi (rear)
There are some good discussions on tire pressures. After reading them I set my cold pressures to about 32psi front and 34-35psi rear. This is with the stock square 400M wheels, upgraded tire size to 245/40-18 all around with goflat summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Amazing setup that I highly recommend. When air temps get down towards 40 degrees F I'll put my runflat all seasons back on to use for the winter.

Don't really have wheel $ since other mods are higher on my priority list. If I get tired of my stock look I got a quote of $90/wheel from my local powder coat guy who does a great job. How about Bright racing orange wheels on a black car. 😀
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #32
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

I have a set of almost new Bridgestone DriveGuard run flats if someone is looking for these in Central Florida. I'm looking for 19" wheels to replace my current ones. The dealer put these tires on the car about 1000 miles ago when I bought it.

Front - 225-45/18
Rear - 245-40/18
      07-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #33
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
Got my Gmax AS05 installed and now I am scratching my head wondering why I waited 6 years to change over to regular tires. Like you all say, much improved ride. It doesn't crash over bumps and crevice cracks anymore. It is sporty yet smooth and quiet. I will never put run flats on a car again. Thank you all for the reviews and suggestions that influenced this switch.
When I shifted from my worn-out OEM Michelins on the 2011 Regal to Generals from TireRack, it was a tremendous improvement. I'm glad to hear Generals have a good rep still.

I'm almost at 30K miles now. When the RFTs (which do ride quite well, actually) are worn down, I'll go with non-RFTs w/ the road hazard warranty. ($1200 for a set of RFTs vs. ~$600 for regular tires? The choice, as they say, is clear.) Then I'll put a patch kit along with my compressor and a jack in the trunk, and go with AAA's premium service so if I need it, a 100-mile tow is covered.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 07-08-2019 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 12:59 AM   #34
ballisma
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
I had no idea my 335 could be THIS good.

I went budget and put on square setup General gmax AS05 tires on the stock 395's.

Wow. Just wow.

The steering was twitchy before on the run flats. That's all smoothed out now.

The ride quality is up dramatically. Hitting the known bumps in my neighborhood results in a fundamentally different reaction from the car. It rides smoother and quieter.

My scissor jack, patch kit, slime and air compressor in the trunk all cost me a whopping $0 as I had all of that in the garage.

The kicker for me.... Price.

Set of 4 with replacement / road hazard set me back $575. ONE of the runflats was $300 installed.
atlguy what size alloys were they? I'm planning to swap RFTs on 19" with a 35 side wall
Is it worth it for a 35 side wall?
Appreciate 0