F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > New Car Detail tomorrow.... 420D M Sport
ARMA SPEED

09-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
aadams1x
Rep
Drives: 4 Series M Sport

New Car Detail tomorrow.... 420D M Sport

Hi,

Little bit like a kid on Christmas eve tonight! Pick up my first ever new car tomorrow morning at 0900... Have gone for a Mineral Grey 420D M Sport.

I am also doing my own new car detail tomorrow and just as excited about this!

Polished Bliss have been amazing and after long conversations have sent me through my order today as promised... From Iron Out, to Clay Bar, Werkstat kit etc etc. I have clayed my cars in the past and looked after with AutoGlym products thinking they are the best but tomorrow will put the proper equipment and products to the test! Going to post pictures of the progress and collection etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

Congrats! Can't wait to see the pics!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
aadams1x
Rep

Well I collected the car this morning from BMW Sunningdale and the service from Justine was nothing short of exceptional as she has been throughout the sale. They cleaned the car for me first and there were no swirl marks at all just immaculate paint work... so very happy..

I wanted to show lots of pictures during the process to due to the colour of the car and being a grey day there is not much to see... so have included one of the iron out doing its thing on a new car and then the finished article!

Once I got the car home I set about the detail. I have to say the condition of the car was amazing and left me questioning if i should even touch it but having spent a small fortune on the products i felt i had better try!

So first the wash... I used AutoFinesse Lather with a two bucket method after a jet wash...not surprisingly there was no dirt on the car and the jet wash seems to sort the wheels anyway but washed it down with Meguiars Lambswool Mit then jet washed off...

Next was the Stage One Decontamination, for this I used Autosmart Tardis sprayed on, left for a minute or so, wiped down and then rinsed one panel at a time.

Now time for Autofinesse Iron Out... This was sprayed over the car and wheels, left for about ten minutes.. There was some iron contamination... but very very little, even the wheels only showed a couple of speckles of purple. Once this was washed off the paint felt very smooth and I was happy that I had completed the decontamination process without the need for clay which I had been advised was just a judgement call needed by me at this stage.... Pic attached of it working on a panel...

I then dried the car off and started the sealant. I chose The Werkstat Acylic Kit on advice about my car colour etc. Very easy to apply the three step process.

Next I set about the wheels and tyres which I sealed and polished with Auto Finesse Mint Rims, this wax was applied... left for 10 mins and then polished off. The finish on this was gleaming!

Final touch was tyre dressing and I chose Gyeon Q2 Tire, easy to apply with an applicator pad i bought and then stood back and admired the car!

So how to i feel.... I am very very pleased with the car... but the detail.... I have been left feeling it is now the same as it left the showroom but my wallet is even lighter! Was it really worth it? I don't know, I did enjoy the afternoon but have to say that previously I have been a fan of autoglym products and have clayed my last car, applied the polish and then sealant and I believe the paint felt smoother than it does now....

So some advice needed, did missing the clay cost me the perfect finish i was hoping for? The Werkstat was sold saying amazing Metallic Flake Pop and it does look nice but no different really from when I collected... Im pleased but think the condition of the car was so much better than I ever imagined when I collected that maybe the detail was an overkill? Love to know your thoughts...

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Coxey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32

Looks great to me
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
aadams1x
Rep

In writing the post I realised that the step missing the clay would always bug me so I decided to clay one wing, re-do the Werkstat and see the results... wow!

You could feel the clay biting contaminents in the paint with every stroke and the slightly grainy touch of the paint is now silky smooth :-) Managed to clay the whole car and re-apply the 3 step Wekstat kit just before darkness fell but the car has much more the wet gloss look now... amazing difference the clay made... and no that is not just Dew!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
X2 Monstah
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 XDrive 28i M Sport

Very nice. Yes - it was worth it!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
aadams1x
Rep

Many thanks.. really pleased :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
JimmersBimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i X-Drive

Looks great! Now it's time to enjoy the drive!

Cheers!
2007 E90 Silver on Black Leather
Appreciate 0