F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Water spots
proTUNING Freaks

03-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
328esq
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Water spots

I have sprinklers next to my drive way and the spray from the sprinklers is getting water on my car. The system uses reclaimed water and when the water dries it leaves the hard water spots

Unfortunately I can not adjust the sprinkler system as it is maintained by my hoa. Are there any products out there that will work to get rid of the water spots?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You can't stop spots, reclaimed water or otherwise, as all water save distilled contains spot forming materials, even rain.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #3
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Car cover or move. Even if your car is properly waxed/sealed it'll still leave water spots.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #4
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
A good sealant with hydrophobic qualities may help to minimize the size of the water spots.

Use a leaf blower to blow dry your car after the sprinklers shut off - just be prepared for the neighbors to give you weird looks
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
328esq
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
A good sealant with hydrophobic qualities may help to minimize the size of the water spots.

Use a leaf blower to blow dry your car after the sprinklers shut off - just be prepared for the neighbors to give you weird looks

Thanks. I was looking around and found some sealants I am going to give a try.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

I just cleaned my car and got rid of 99% of the water spots with a bottle of vinegar, it really does wonders
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #7
Katin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Re-aim the lawn sprinklers when the nosy neighbors are sleeping and move on with life.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      04-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #8
328esq
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post
I just cleaned my car and got rid of 99% of the water spots with a bottle of vinegar, it really does wonders
Thanks. I did some research and found that white vinegar does the trick. I tried and it worked for me
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #9
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Happy to hear that the vinegar works but won't an acid like vinegar just take away your sealant also? I wonder if there is a product that will take away the water spots but not be strong enough to remove your wax/sealant protection layer? I don't really have hard water so I can't offer any advice here. However, having a layer of sealant on that paint is important so there hopefully is something out there that will work for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
328esq
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
Happy to hear that the vinegar works but won't an acid like vinegar just take away your sealant also? I wonder if there is a product that will take away the water spots but not be strong enough to remove your wax/sealant protection layer? I don't really have hard water so I can't offer any advice here. However, having a layer of sealant on that paint is important so there hopefully is something out there that will work for you.
Very true. I was thinking the same with the vinegar. There are products out there that help to remove the water spots. None (that I could find) to prevent over long term, but definitely to help remove. However, there were some reviews I found where users complained about the compounds eating away at the top coat sealant and paint so I stayed away from that.

I only tried the vinegar once and since it worked now I just make it a habit in the morning to go out and dry my car on the days when the sprinklers go off. Not the best solution but as you said I definitely want to keep my clear coat. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #11
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328esq View Post
Very true. I was thinking the same with the vinegar. There are products out there that help to remove the water spots. None (that I could find) to prevent over long term, but definitely to help remove. However, there were some reviews I found where users complained about the compounds eating away at the top coat sealant and paint so I stayed away from that.

I only tried the vinegar once and since it worked now I just make it a habit in the morning to go out and dry my car on the days when the sprinklers go off. Not the best solution but as you said I definitely want to keep my clear coat. Lol
I apply sealant and wax with every wash anyway so I don't think it's a big deal. Plus you're wiping the vinegar off right away when buffing out the water spots.

I might look into something like opticoat eventually for the extra peace of mind. It even mentions here that it helps to prevent water spotting: http://opticoat.com/page/opti-coat-pro-plus
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #12
Shadycrew31
#1 Stunna
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix

I prefer to take them out with a DA and some finishing polish.
Appreciate 0