F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Churning Sensation on Launch?
proTUNING Freaks

04-16-2021, 08:09 AM   #1
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i xDrive

Garage List
Churning Sensation on Launch?

Hey everybody, I decided to launch my 2016 F30 320i xDrive yesterday. It doesn't come with launch control from the factory, so I fully depressed the brake, let it build on the gas (did not depress it past the resistance point at the end of travel), and then took my foot off the brake.

Now, during that building period, I felt a churning sensation and noises (and some vibrations, maybe?) from what felt like back of the engine, so between engine and transmission. I'm sure this is normal since that's the torque converter loading up and all that fluid is slushing about, but I'd like to know what everyone else's experiences have been, especially since that was my first time launching a car.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I really don't mean to be rude but that sensation you are feeling is similar to me twisting your arm behind your back. You won't like it, the car doesn't' like it either.

You are operating your car in a way it wasn't really designed for... you can't expect the car to be happy with it.
Just don't... This is great way to break something, damage the transmission or something in the drivetrain. You have a lot of people having problems with their cars after coding and using launch control also.
Your car is a x-drive they launch very well as is, no need for stand on the brakes launches.

Call me old fashion, but I put it in the same category as donuts with x-drive. If you want to have fun and learn your car, sign up to a driving school or lapping day at the local track.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8238.50
      04-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Yikes...yeah, I agree with frchdragon to be careful doing that, as mentioned the xDrive launches very well already. My xDrive is a 330i and while I'm sure it's possible, I have yet to even make the tires chirp.

One other reason for extra caution, with yours being a 2016 you may or may not have the transfer case 'fix' done by BMW sometime in the 2015 - 2016 range. Couple of threads on that, the reason for the failures on earlier units is due to vibration slowly disintegrating splines. That 'churning' sensation you describe is heavy vibration in your powertrain as the engine, transmission, and brakes are all fighting against one another. Still damaging even with the TC fix, but rapidly accelerating eventual failure without it.

Launch control does a couple of things differently to try to reduce damage, although still not a great idea with AWD. Drivetrain components on the front end are somewhat fragile compared to strictly RWD.

Short answer...yes, normal feeling in that it would be expected to occur during staging as you describe, but not a 'good' normal.

Last edited by auburnf30x; 04-16-2021 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Indeed, I've read about the fragility of our transfer cases and other front-section drive-train components, so it makes sense that launch control shouldn't really be used, even on cars with it as an option.

I'm quite happy that we don't need to launch our cars in that matter. I never knew xDrive was that good so that's cool.

I will definitely be signing up for other experiences to get better at driving in a safe environment.

Lastly, would that transfer case fix show up if I searched for recalls using my VIN? Or would I have to ask a service advisor?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #5
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Actually, I just looked back on the thread about it and the fix was done mid-15, so with yours being a 2016 it’s already got the fix from the factory. So you should be worry free there.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:32 AM   #6
xdrive_320i
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Actually, I just looked back on the thread about it and the fix was done mid-15, so with yours being a 2016 it’s already got the fix from the factory. So you should be worry free there.
Sweet! Yup, my production date is 9/2015 or 10/2015 so I was lucky enough to get most of the LCI features (except the B48, but let's not be choosey )
Appreciate 0