F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > n20 diverter valve change
ARMA SPEED

03-25-2021, 10:49 PM   #1
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

n20 diverter valve change

hey there, asking if anyone has ever replaced their stock diverter valve with GFB's diverter valve. i just replaced it, and my fuel efficiency went terrible and i have yet to hear the flutter noise. anything like this happen to anyone else? no engine codes are up yet
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolbrother View Post
hey there, asking if anyone has ever replaced their stock diverter valve with GFB's diverter valve. i just replaced it, and my fuel efficiency went terrible and i have yet to hear the flutter noise. anything like this happen to anyone else? no engine codes are up yet
So I heard the flutter for the first time today, but I was unable to recreate it. I believe the piston is stuck, but I did put engine oil around it like it required. My fuel efficiency is all over the place, but right now it's kind of settled between my initial consumption and the consumption right after the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 05:32 AM   #3
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

I guess the fuel consumption has to do with your right foot, because you are trying to generate the flutter sound.

The GFB+ does not generate the ‘flutter’ sound. It is not a dump valve (open system), but a diverter valve (closed system). You might hear something very faint, but that sound is already there with the original system. I don’t think your valve is stuck, I suppose the car would have thrown an error by then.

I have the upgrade as well, but I hardly feel any difference pre to post. Maybe if the engine is heavily tuned.

Btw, I did put (engine) oil around the piston when installing, but that is actually not written anywhere in the installation manual.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      03-27-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
GFB explicitly states that the DV+ is designed NOT to cause turbo flutter / compressor surge.

I never heard any flutter when I had one on my prior N20.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

if you want to hear the fluttering sound you can disconnect the electrical connection to your diverter valve. mind you I would not recommend it and you might have some issues with the car idling. but the sound you seek you will find. I found out the hard way when i forgot to connect it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmert View Post
I guess the fuel consumption has to do with your right foot, because you are trying to generate the flutter sound.

The GFB+ does not generate the 'flutter' sound. It is not a dump valve (open system), but a diverter valve (closed system). You might hear something very faint, but that sound is already there with the original system. I don't think your valve is stuck, I suppose the car would have thrown an error by then.

I have the upgrade as well, but I hardly feel any difference pre to post. Maybe if the engine is heavily tuned.

Btw, I did put (engine) oil around the piston when installing, but that is actually not written anywhere in the installation manual.
I wasn't explicitly trying to generate the sound, it just happened when driving normally. Good to know that it doesn't need to flutter. And right after the installation I had to drive even more efficiently so I could save the gas, but it has evened at around 7km/l since then (I would get around 8-8.4 km/l before) but I also tuned it before the install, and I'm not quite sure what my fuel efficiency was after the tune. So after the information everybody passed along, I think it's working normally. I still might open it up, but I don't know yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 01:39 AM   #7
Jimmyf30THREE20I
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320i

GFB diverter valve concerns

I recently installed the GFB diverter valve on my 320i with n20 motor. I currently have in injen intake and after installing I thought it didn't work. after driving the next day I could hear the diverter valve fluttering and after that, I thought everything was working properly. I soon realized that as soon the motor gets up to temp it flutters but if I drive around a while it doesn't flutter after I let off the gas the same way and just seems to make a quick woosh. Is this bc I don't have any other engine mods or maybe it's not working properly. I do have an mst inlet pipe coming in next week so maybe that makes a diffirence

However, I did notice smoother throttle response and way better fuel economy. I really do like the way the cars drives now and it feels a little quicker.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #8
spirit3d88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

the sound of the DV + is loud? I want to know because I would like to install it but if the flutter is heard in the inspection I will have problems
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:57 PM   #9
Linc0909
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i,

If you have an intake (I have an AFE) you can hear the "woosh" from the diverter valve. Mine is an auto so I can only hear it while in park or neutral and reving the engine. But it's not loud.
      04-11-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30 Luxury Line

Garage List
With GFB DV+ Diverter, like with stock, the whoosh sound depends on the mods. Completely stock, you will barely hear it. Add a CAI and upgraded parts like a turbo inlet pipe, charge pipe, down pipe, etc. It gets louder. The flutter does not mean something is wrong, it's how it's designed. There's two ways to install it, one will only give you the whoosh sound, the other will give you both the whoosh and flutter sounds.
Appreciate 0