F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B48 Issue 2014-06 automatic
GetBMWParts

04-14-2021, 03:51 AM   #1
r0b3r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F

B48 Issue 2014-06 automatic

Hello!

I am a user with a Mini cooper s f56 from 2014-06 with B48 engine, currently it has 45000km the car has automatic transmission
It currently has Wagner intercoolers, NGK IRIDIO spark plugs, Coils replaced by the last original reference available, Remus V2 exhaust pipe, k & n panel filter, Ravenol RSP 5W30 oil, Ravenol OTC g12 + coolant, Redline ATF D6 automatic gearbox oil and I think I do not forget anything, at the moment the electronics is standard.
I am somewhat concerned about the pistons since I read that there are many B48 breaks both from stock and with reassignments, some say it is due to LSPI, others that due to injection, etc ...
Is there a way to mitigate or improve these problems without having to change the pistons (I would hate to disassemble my engine completely, if this engine could be changed from the bottom without removing the engine from the car, I would do it immediately, but since it is not like that. .) They say that using an oil with lspi formula mitigates these problems as well, such as amsoil 5w30 or similar, what can you tell me about all that? First of all thanks for reading!

The question is, in the 2014-06 B48 engines like mine, how to mitigate the breakage of the pistons in some way, without having to replace them, the engine now has 45000km and electronics as standard, but soon I will reassign to 280cv // 400nm and I want the motor to be safe and not have breakage problems as I have seen previously in others. Some say that the problem is mitigated with LSPI oil, others that the problem is injection, I also want to know what is the origin of the piston breaks.
A hug!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #2
Freddie_Rome
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F20 120i

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0b3r View Post
Hello!

I am a user with a Mini cooper s f56 from 2014-06 with B48 engine, currently it has 45000km the car has automatic transmission
It currently has Wagner intercoolers, NGK IRIDIO spark plugs, Coils replaced by the last original reference available, Remus V2 exhaust pipe, k & n panel filter, Ravenol RSP 5W30 oil, Ravenol OTC g12 + coolant, Redline ATF D6 automatic gearbox oil and I think I do not forget anything, at the moment the electronics is standard.
I am somewhat concerned about the pistons since I read that there are many B48 breaks both from stock and with reassignments, some say it is due to LSPI, others that due to injection, etc ...
Is there a way to mitigate or improve these problems without having to change the pistons (I would hate to disassemble my engine completely, if this engine could be changed from the bottom without removing the engine from the car, I would do it immediately, but since it is not like that. .) They say that using an oil with lspi formula mitigates these problems as well, such as amsoil 5w30 or similar, what can you tell me about all that? First of all thanks for reading!

The question is, in the 2014-06 B48 engines like mine, how to mitigate the breakage of the pistons in some way, without having to replace them, the engine now has 45000km and electronics as standard, but soon I will reassign to 280cv // 400nm and I want the motor to be safe and not have breakage problems as I have seen previously in others. Some say that the problem is mitigated with LSPI oil, others that the problem is injection, I also want to know what is the origin of the piston breaks.
A hug!
Use 100 RON fuel or Water/Meth Injection to decrease temperature in the combustion chamber and prevent knocks . Use also oem spark plugs and original BMW/MINI oil.
Appreciate 1
r0b3r18.00
      04-14-2021, 11:53 AM   #3
r0b3r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie_Rome View Post
Use 100 RON fuel or Water/Meth Injection to decrease temperature in the combustion chamber and prevent knocks . Use also oem spark plugs and original BMW/MINI oil.

Thanks for your reply, I normally use 98 gasoline as there are not 100 here.

I use a better oil with a better base among other things than the original, so I understand that that must be better, however I wonder if an oil with LSPI can be better for the car, for the moment it is in stock, although I hope to reassign soon .

Just looking for the best to avoid problems and above all to know if it is a common problem, if it is a problem only in mapped cars and to go beyond the limit, or what is it due to.

The spark plugs are original from NGK and the coils are new and original from BMW (last reference, 5 more modern references than the ones my car originally had)

By the way, my engine is front-wheel drive, I don't know if there are differences with the rear of the f2x f3x

Thanks for your time and reply.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

In the past month or so, I've seen perhaps 3 posts (including yours) regarding questions about B46/B48 engine problems. However, to my knowledge and the replies previously given, no one else has heard of these apparent issues. The B46/B48 has been quite solid and reliable to my knowledge, but I'm certainly open to hear if there are problems.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:16 AM   #5
r0b3r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
In the past month or so, I've seen perhaps 3 posts (including yours) regarding questions about B46/B48 engine problems. However, to my knowledge and the replies previously given, no one else has heard of these apparent issues. The B46/B48 has been quite solid and reliable to my knowledge, but I'm certainly open to hear if there are problems.
Where have you been able to observe? I'm talking about the Mini cooper s f56 front-wheel drive model B48A20A 06-2014, I don't know if it is completely the same as the B48 from F2X and F3X or if they share some parts.

The breaks that I have seen so far almost all have been due to having a reassignment so it seems, some of them with excessive torque or above 400nm and about 300-320hp, many people say that by a lot of torque at low rpm or what LSPI is the same, they also recommend using oil with LSPI standard for this engine, have you heard of it or do you use it?

I was also investigating if bootmod3 was compatible with my vehicle to reassign with them but it seems that it is not compatible and I cannot reassign with them at least for now.

I wonder if it will be harmful to go with wagner IC and stock electronics.

I don't want to force my engine to the limit or go over it, I just want to stay in the safe place and not have future problems (I know that for this it is better to stay out of stock and there may even be problems)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #6
tpoddar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i B48

I was in a similar dilemma before I tuned my 320i B48 and have read all forums like drive2.ru, bimmerpost and also various facebook groups. Let me simplify things for you -

1. The MINI Cooper S engine and the B48 in the 20i is almost the same, they share the same pistons but the cooling is different. 20i uses an water to air intercooler whereas the Cooper S uses air to air so if you want to go Stage 2 in your MINI, you'll need an IC upgrade.

2. The B48 when tuned to stage 1 will give you absolutely no issues if you change your engine oil on time and run 95+ RON fuel. Remember, your tune should be fit for the fuel level that you're running. I recommend sticking to the 95 RON map as it gives you a little bit of safety room and the extra power of 98 RON map isn't noticeable.

3. LSPI issues occur when you dump a lot of torque at low RPMs. If you look at how ptf tunes the b48, it wont give you peak torque at 1.5-2k rpm. Since the peak torque is higher up in the RPM range and throttle is slowly fed instead of being dumped you're safe from lspi issues.

4. AFRs play a big role in ensuring that safe combustion occurs. PTF has lowered the AFR from 14.7 stock to 12 in the 5-7k rpm range for allowing the car to push 18-20 psi boost safely.

5. I have been running bm3 for 20k kms now with no issues. Most people having issues run extremely bad fuel and don't log their car to check how the tune is performing. Tune your car, log and check how it's performing and enjoy! No need to worry about pistons breaking.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
r0b3r
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpoddar View Post
I was in a similar dilemma before I tuned my 320i B48 and have read all forums like drive2.ru, bimmerpost and also various facebook groups. Let me simplify things for you -

1. The MINI Cooper S engine and the B48 in the 20i is almost the same, they share the same pistons but the cooling is different. 20i uses an water to air intercooler whereas the Cooper S uses air to air so if you want to go Stage 2 in your MINI, you'll need an IC upgrade.

2. The B48 when tuned to stage 1 will give you absolutely no issues if you change your engine oil on time and run 95+ RON fuel. Remember, your tune should be fit for the fuel level that you're running. I recommend sticking to the 95 RON map as it gives you a little bit of safety room and the extra power of 98 RON map isn't noticeable.

3. LSPI issues occur when you dump a lot of torque at low RPMs. If you look at how ptf tunes the b48, it wont give you peak torque at 1.5-2k rpm. Since the peak torque is higher up in the RPM range and throttle is slowly fed instead of being dumped you're safe from lspi issues.

4. AFRs play a big role in ensuring that safe combustion occurs. PTF has lowered the AFR from 14.7 stock to 12 in the 5-7k rpm range for allowing the car to push 18-20 psi boost safely.

5. I have been running bm3 for 20k kms now with no issues. Most people having issues run extremely bad fuel and don't log their car to check how the tune is performing. Tune your car, log and check how it's performing and enjoy! No need to worry about pistons breaking.

Thanks for your answer, unfortunately BOOTMOD3 will not work for my vehicle and will not be available in a short time.

They talk about using an oil with LSPI to reduce this problem although it does not prevent the problem, if it reduces it in a certain way, do you use it? I will try to do a compression test when I have some free time myself and find out what the general condition of my pistons is today and with 45,000km.

It reassures me in a way, for a few months I have only used RON 98 when I learned of these piston failures, the car has certain improvements such as those I describe below:

Mini cooper s f56 2014-06 automatic 6v, the car has 45000km and has the following mods:

Ravenol RSP 5w30 engine oil
Gearbox oil Redline ATF D6
Spark plugs NGK 94201
New ORIGINAL coils (5 references more modern than those that the car had from the factory)
WAGNER intercooler
Remus v2 exhaust pipe
K & n panel replacement filter
RAVENOL OTC Coolant

Searching and informing myself as best as possible to always go in the right place and not have problems, since if it were easy to make a replacement of pistons (without disassembling the engine from below) I would do it immediately and could be forged, but as it is not The case, I want to avoid the great work that a reconstruction takes.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #8
devildog81
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mini Cooper S 2Dr

Looking at adding a JB4 to my 2015 Mini Cooper S and was wondering if this would cause any problems.
Appreciate 0