F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valvetronic system Issue
Studio RSR

08-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
bendeyo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F30 N55 335XI

Valvetronic system Issue

I'm hoping someone in this group can give me some guidance. I just had these codes come up last week with a CEL. I cleared the codes and haven't gotten another CEL since. Unfortunately, the car just doesn't seem to be running right. When I start it up it seems like it revs high on startup then settles back down. However, the first few minutes of driving it seems like it's much easier to stall the car unless I give it more gas than usual.

I was having some issues prior to these codes coming up which I thought was due to the HPFP but now I think it was related to the Valvetronic system. Hopefully it's not both. Prior to these codes if I accelerated hard on the highway I'd sometimes get a black cloud of smoke out of the exhaust which is why I thought it was the fuel pump. The car also basically falls on it's face under hard acceleration which I thought was also linked to the HPFP starting to fail or not being able to keep up to the tune.

My question is: Has anyone had any luck just trying to run the relearn process for the valvetronic motor using ISTA+ or is it just a lost cause and I need to replace it? Also, what's the likelihood that I'll also need the eccentric shaft replacement vs. just the actuator?

The real bummer is that just replaced the valve cover gasket myself about a year ago and to replace the actuator I'll need to pull the valve cover off again...

Car:
2013 335XI F30 N55
120,000 miles

VRSF Catless Downpipe
VRSF Chargepipe upgrade
BM3 Stage 2 91 octane (running 92 gas because it's the best I can get in HI)

Bimmerlink Codes:
133B04: Valvetronic system: no adjustment possible
133E10: Valvetronic system: deactivated, too frequent adjustment errors
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

I would check out the other valvetronic threads in this section. A few of them are quite detailed and i think they address the specific questions you are asking.
Appreciate 0