F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435i Issue with alignment?
GetBMWParts

08-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodixm View Post
Will do. I’m going to request it tomorrow sometime mid day when I get a break at work. Sort of worried about it being caster, or maybe tierod issue but nothing I can’t handle. Just surprising I would be told it’s completely fine and it’s not… no one wants to have to troubleshoot their new car. The issue itself just bothers the hell out of me. It really isn’t that bad, I’m more so worried about it being a big issue and creating an even bigger one by driving on it, but I don’t drive crazy so… just makes me anxious.
Don't over think the issue, 'until' we see some figures. A small 'reversible' tweak may be all that is required.

You won't be the first that has a misaligned steering wheel that can't be sorted on a rig. Requires the human touch to correct.

BTW, I can illustrate with experience and no long term issues, or odd tire wear.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      08-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #24
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Don't over think the issue, 'until' we see some figures. A small 'reversible' tweak may be all that is required.

You won't be the first that has a misaligned steering wheel that can't be sorted on a rig. Requires the human touch to correct.

BTW, I can illustrate with experience and no long term issues, or odd tire wear.
You’re right my friend. Going to get those figures ASAP. They gave me them last time, got the alignment and everything was fine, not sure why they did not give them to me this time! The receipt for new tires did say “tire lock?” Which is odd but other than that nothin…
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
You’re right my friend. Going to get those figures ASAP. They gave me them last time, got the alignment and everything was fine, not sure why they did not give them to me this time! The receipt for new tires did say “tire lock?” Which is odd but other than that nothin…
I'll look out for this topic tomorrow...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:36 PM   #26
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'll look out for this topic tomorrow...
So I contacted belle tire and they said they don’t hold on to paperwork…. Absurd if you ask me. So unfortunately I won’t be getting those papers… what is interesting is that the steering wheel goes back to dead center when I come to a complete stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #27
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Odd response from Belle tire….drop that shop off your list going forward. I'm not that familiar with this electronic steering setup, hopefully others chime in with advice for you.

Your car has quite low/modest mileage, seems a little hard to believe component wear is the issue, but one never knows.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:27 AM   #28
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Odd response from Belle tire….drop that shop off your list going forward. I'm not that familiar with this electronic steering setup, hopefully others chime in with advice for you.

Your car has quite low/modest mileage, seems a little hard to believe component wear is the issue, but one never knows.

Good luck/Bill
Thank you! In the past they have never been like this. Not sure why things have changed now but it’s pisses me off. Won’t be returning in the future
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      08-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #29
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

sounds like car is running along and tracking properly, keep an eye on tire wear down the road, even subtle mis-alignment can often cause visible irregular tire wear pattern.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #30
ReallyRadams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 230i

I’ve owned 2 2017 330i and both my steering wheel was slightly turned to the left. I was told the road crown (I live in Florida) could cause this but the cars where aligned. I have a friend who has an 2018 340i and he said his is slightly left also. Could be a characteristic of the car. Yes this drives me nuts but I guess I’ll have to just deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 10:38 AM   #31
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

This is really bothering me. The car does drift slightly to the right, that’s how the steering wheel is tilted as well. Going to go get an “alignment” done so I can get the damn read outs. I’m thinking it may be as simple as adjusting tie rods… but this is seriously bothering me.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #32
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Don't be mislead by the fact many examples do have an offset steering wheel.

The key factor is, does the car track straight on the crown of the road (flat surface) without pull? Camber drift should be equal both ways.

I wrote the following, years back in another discussion topic on wheel position.

Quote:
I had a similar issue in my F11, seemed to develop a very slight right position bias. I decided to adjust myself while on my winter wheels, sort it before fitting the summer set. Wasn't sure why it had gone slightly adrift.

It is the sort of thing I've done before, so after taking a few dimensions (using string lines and a bit of measuring against a spec' sheet) checked for the obvious. I was convinced there were no obvious issues, checked the rack was solid to the sub frame, and nothing else loose. Car was tracking straight, tyre wear was fine side to side, camber drift was equal, etc., so was worth a punt.

I didn't even bother jacking up, just full lock and lean in around the wheel. I marked the position (for a baseline reference) and used a 1/4 turn adjustment. Took about 10 minutes, perfect first time.

It is essential we run a mid steering position for EPS to have ultimate steering precision. Steering angle sensing, whether via a steering wheel sensor or within the EPS unit, with a zero mid position determines steering precision. I noted on my car adjusting the tracking improved the mid position precision, something I'd lost a bit... all for a 15 thou' adjustment.

BTW, the DIY guide looks useful for those not quite confident enough to go ahead.

I'd not recommend doing it if you have any odd tyre wear, or suspect any other issues. It is simply to make small adjustments of steering wheel mid position. Also be sure off centre steering is not due to camber drift or steering pull. I'd recommend anyone who attempts the job, marks the original positions (something like Tippex is sufficient), so that you can get back to square one if necessary.

When questioned whether my precise steering was a placebo, my response.

IMO, it is not just a placebo response of having the steering wheel straight. My car certainly had more mid centre precision, (not as vague) and simply felt right in my hands in all 'near straight' steering. Straight line stability improved, less susceptibility to be influenced by road disturbances. Camber sensitivity is less. Typically translates to less need for steering correction.

My understanding of how EPS works. I'll try and keep the explanation simple. All cars with SAS (Steering Angle Sensors) require an absolute steering position (zero degrees). Even with BMW EPS, where in the F30 the sensing is in the EPS unit (motor position), we have an absolute position of the rack to the steering wheel position.

So assuming the rack hasn't moved, no slack in the rack to steering wheel components, and/or the SAS calibration lost, we do have a steering rack not at absolute position (if the steering is off centre) when driving straight ahead. Other systems in the car use this reference, essential for correct DSC function.

EPS is designed to run without power assistance at mid position, hence if we have a car which steering wheel is a few degrees off centre, the rack loading is not equal side to side. We have an odd response to any torque applied at the wheel. The position of the rack/wheel can be calling for power assistance, even though the wheels are not needing to turn. Easy to see how we can have an odd feeling to straight driving.

We can end up with steering vibrations, constant work by the EPS when it should be off power. Steering pull, different torque on the steering for either direction. Can translate to a different feeling when turning left than right. Even more effort to turn in one direction than the other. Can mess with self-centring response.

Many cars these days require recalibration of the SAS when alignment work is carried out, or we could end up with some of the issues above. Even after a good alignment, when everything is in tolerance.
BTW, my car has not been realigned since that time. It still tracks perfectly straight, no deterioration in steering precision and tire wear is fine.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      08-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #33
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

The key factor is, does the car track straight on the crown of the road (flat surface) without pull? Camber drift should be equal both ways.

I wrote the following, years back in another discussion topic on wheel position.

BTW, my car has not been realigned since that time. It still tracks perfectly straight, no deterioration in steering precision and tire wear is fine.
On a very flat road it doesn’t seem to pull at all, at least it takes a few minutes to start pulling to the right. However that being said I don’t have many flat roads to drive it on. I know of a spot that just got paved, very flat. Going to test it there tonight. At work so quick response, I’ll read your entire post in detail shortly, thank you so much.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #34
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

On a very flat road it doesn’t seem to pull at all, at least it takes a few minutes to start pulling to the right. However that being said I don’t have many flat roads to drive it on. I know of a spot that just got paved, very flat. Going to test it there tonight. At work so quick response, I’ll read your entire post in detail shortly, thank you so much.
worth getting one more alignment check, sounds like car tracks pretty darn well, maybe only some very minor tweaks at the shop needed.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #35
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
Quote:

Do the tires have even wear? I wonder if the right side ones have some tread thats uneven.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #36
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimR View Post
Do the tires have even wear? I wonder if the right side ones have some tread thats uneven.
Tires are brand new as of the 11th all season performance pilot 4s
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #37
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update, took a smooth road home, definitely pulls to the right.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:01 PM   #38
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Update, took a smooth road home, definitely pulls to the right.
I had something similar. There was a very slight imperfection in the wheel due to me going over a pothole. Dealer didn't catch it. My body shop did. :
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #39
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I had something similar. There was a very slight imperfection in the wheel due to me going over a pothole. Dealer didn't catch it. My body shop did. :
Wheels are new as of a few days ago… do you think I could have bent a rim? I mean as soon as I hit the pothole I previously mentioned, I pulled over got out of the car, checked everything and have checked pretty much every morning since, lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #40
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wheels are new as of a few days ago… do you think I could have bent a rim? I mean as soon as I hit the pothole I previously mentioned, I pulled over got out of the car, checked everything and have checked pretty much every morning since, lol.
I don't know anything anymore 🤣🤣🤣. At this point, we are guessing as you really have tried most obvious things!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #41
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I don't know anything anymore 🤣🤣🤣. At this point, we are guessing as you really have tried most obvious things!
I feel like I should take it to the dealer, tell them I already did an alignment and that I need them to look for any other possible issue 😭
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #42
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

I’m going to actually get under the car hopefully Wednesday or Thursday, see if I can spot something myself. I don’t see how my inspection would be different than the dealers but let’s find out
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 04:38 AM   #43
fantanas
First Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: F33 435d

Does the car pull when you don't touch the steering wheel or does it not go straight when you have the steering wheel straight?

I had a similar issue and it was the steering angle sensor. When I reset it through ISTA it was perfect afterwards. I took it to BMW and even they didn't do this step.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:15 AM   #44
sodixm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanas View Post
Does the car pull when you don't touch the steering wheel or does it not go straight when you have the steering wheel straight?

I had a similar issue and it was the steering angle sensor. When I reset it through ISTA it was perfect afterwards. I took it to BMW and even they didn't do this step.
When I have the steering wheel straight it pulls to the left, when it’s tilted to the right it goes straight then eventually pulls right
Appreciate 0