F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
GetBMWParts

01-07-2019, 01:53 AM   #1959
sgimips
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328d '16 M5 '18 540d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lybaasta View Post
Did you managed to fit them without removing the whole headlight from the car? Cuz the opening for high beams is on a impossible location to get
Yeah I noticed that I wonít be able to get to the high beams once these are installed. It was also very hard to fit everything given the tight opening so doing this even with access while they were installed would be very frustrating. The headlights are still sitting on my desk and not in the car yet. FYI the high beams use a wire latches and didnít need clips. The low beams need retaining clips which I should have tomorrow. Iíll post up pics once I have it all wired up inside the headlight before itís installed in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #1960
ikehigh05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

Question for you guys. Soo someone hit the front of my f30 and damaged my depos. I had LEDs in for the low beams originally when I installed my depos myself. The body shop is installing the depo headlights this time for me. When I ordered the depos for the second time, I ordered them with the "super white halogen" option. Has anyone else ordered their depos with the "super white halogens"? If so, are they decent or will I have to go back to a LED/HID option as before?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #1961
sgimips
United_States
Rep

Got a few more pics. One shows the before and after of the wiring on the high beam side. There's a lot of loose connectors in there and I'm not sure if that'll cause issues in the long run or not so I used automotive double sided tape to tape them down and keep all the wiring away from anything that would get hot. As others have discovered, this area of the headlight can't be accessed once they are installed. Looks like only the low beam and turn signal bulbs can be replaced once they are installed in the car.

The other pics show how the LEDs look in the high beams. Not OEM, but I think they look nice. I tested all the lights via the pins on the outside of the housing, everything works including the high beam shutter. I've got an appointment lined up to get these installed but in the mean time if there's any questions/wanted photos for these Depo lights before I install them let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #1962
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmink View Post
Monstar, sorry to hear USR wouldn't work with you. That said, last week I got a right turn signal malfunction warning. I was able to correct it by installing the OEM bulb holder. It was a really tight fit and hard to turn. Hopefully that means I have good solid connections and everything is solved. It was a lot easier than replacing the whole assembly as I had to do to fix the driver's side. Hopefully a right side assembly will pop up on the classifieds for you.
Charlie
Happy to report that USR came around and ended up selling me a passenger side headlight assembly. It was actually just delivered, though I won't be able to get to check it out for another 8 hours or so. Really debating if I should install HID's this time around but then I'd have to uninstall the other headlight as well...
Schwartz II | M3 Front Bumper | M Sport Rear and Sideskirts | JB4 - Map 1 | ER Catless Downpipe | Injen Intake | 437m | H&R Sport Springs | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 | Carbon Fiber Interior | Carbon Fiber Diffuser | Muffler Delete | Carbon Fiber High Kick Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #1963
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Glad USR stepped up. I wonder how widespread this problem is. I hate the thought of getting really proficient at changing out these headlights! I don't know much about HIDs but I'd be concerned about the heat generated.

Good luck.

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 1
MONSTAR196.00

01-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #1964
floridaorange
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
Happy to report that USR came around and ended up selling me a passenger side headlight assembly. It was actually just delivered, though I won't be able to get to check it out for another 8 hours or so. Really debating if I should install HID's this time around but then I'd have to uninstall the other headlight as well...
want to pull the trigger on a pair of these myself, but not if it's a huge hassle in a year or 2... keep us posted. I don't fully understand why you needed a new side headlight assembly to fix a blinker that went out. Can you post pics? no rush mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #1965
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
want to pull the trigger on a pair of these myself, but not if it's a huge hassle in a year or 2... keep us posted. I don't fully understand why you needed a new side headlight assembly to fix a blinker that went out. Can you post pics? no rush mate.
I explained it a page or 2 back....Its the passenger side turn signal that went out. I swapped the bulb holder and the passenger side holder actually works in the driver side, the driver side (oem piece) does not work in the passenger side. I tried 2 new bulbs and now 2 different bulb holders. I pulled the metal contacts out of one of the bulb holders, and the 2 metal contact points in the turn signal socket, and that didn't fix it either. There's literally nothing left to trouble shoot at this point...

Chazmnk had the same issue as me and had to purchase a new headlight as well.

I'll be installing it today after work, hopefully I don't get rained on.
Schwartz II | M3 Front Bumper | M Sport Rear and Sideskirts | JB4 - Map 1 | ER Catless Downpipe | Injen Intake | 437m | H&R Sport Springs | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 | Carbon Fiber Interior | Carbon Fiber Diffuser | Muffler Delete | Carbon Fiber High Kick Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #1966
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep

Happy to report that it doesnít seem to be an issue with the depo headlight (and itís turn signal). I tested out the new headlight and it did not fix the issue.

Unfortunately this means I must have a problem with my wiring somewhere and have no idea how to go about troubleshooting that :\. And now I have an extra headlight
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #1967
obert
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Happy to report that it doesnít seem to be an issue with the depo headlight (and itís turn signal). I tested out the new headlight and it did not fix the issue.

Unfortunately this means I must have a problem with my wiring somewhere and have no idea how to go about troubleshooting that :\. And now I have an extra headlight
Just sell the spare one. I think I got 200 for mine
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #1968
sgimips
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Get a voltmeter and check to see if you are getting any power out of the turn signal pin. Should be a constant 12 volts if you have amber corning lights that stay on, or 12 volts on/off with the turn signal activated.

Pin #2 is ground and pin #1 is the turn signal bulb IIRC. The numbers are probably printed on the connector (and also probably printed inside the headlight connector) You could also test your old headlight by applying 12 volts of power to pins 1(+) and 2(-), and see if the turn signal bulb lights up.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #1969
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Happy to report that it doesn’t seem to be an issue with the depo headlight (and it’s turn signal). I tested out the new headlight and it did not fix the issue.

Bummer. I'm curious if you still have the OEM headlight and tried that. If that behaved the same you could definitively rule out the headlight assembly. Taking the voltage readings with a VOM as suggested will also do that. Another guy PMed me and said he was also having the turn signal problem.

You shouldn't have any problem selling the extra headlight if you don't need it.

Good luck.

Charlie

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #1970
Fmjp1986
Registered
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW F30ed

Hi guys ,

I'm here trying to figure out what's the best option for me and I'm completely lost at the moment ! I'm going to get rid of my halogens for sure , but since I'm in Europe (Portugal ) to be more precise , it's a freaking mission to get the Depo's around here, I can only find them available here from USR , but the cost plus shipping and taxes on top over here the total cost goes up to $1000 + !

The option available around here , are the HELLA 's headlights with projector angel eyes ! Has anyone done the retrofit with those ?

Here are some pics of the item :[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0