F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 100k miles Maintenance 2013 328i
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #23
IraHayes
Private First Class
55
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 635csi
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
This 100% worked for me. My cabin air filter is only about 10k miles old and I was hesitant to believe this was the cause for my issue. For the past few drive cycles, Ive been making sure to keep both the A and M LED's off...

Sure enough, a couple days later and the smell is gone. I didn't remove or spray anything.
That is awesome. Iíve learned a lot from this forum about my newly acquired F30. Iím glad I was able to contribute something useful myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #24
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
1,088
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Also subscribed, my 2013 328i is coming up on 90k miles.. Besides the obvious ie : oil change / tires / brakes / air filter / cabin filter I just did the following :

Serp belt + Tensioner ( did at 80k )
Spark Plugs ( every 30k )
Trans Fluid Change ( Manual Trans first time at 80k )
Brake Fluid Flush ( last one at 50k )

Can you guys think of anyhting else that should be done? My thermostat died 2 months ago ( TSB ) dealer replaced it plus the coolant..... When should we replace the rear diff fluid? I know it lasts a long time...

Want this car to last and it stinks there isnt an easy .pdf to follow like my wifes Passat has. Car runs perfect just looking to make sure im not missing anyhting.
__________________
13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #25
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Ouzzo's Avatar
34
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Egypt

iTrader: (0)

I would recommend changing HVAC refrigerant fluid as it will degrade over time and will destroy the HVAC compressor. symptom commonly called " black death "

Learned this the hard way @ 90K miles
__________________

Last edited by Ouzzo; 08-15-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #26
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Ouzzo's Avatar
34
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Egypt

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
ZF has a very specific procedure for performing service on this transmission. I recently contacted them and they emailed me a PDF outlining exactly how to perform the procedure. If you want, PM me your email and I will send you a copy.

Itís also generally advised after you perform the procedure, to drain and fill again after a couple hundred miles, as a lot of the old fluid will have remained in the TC. This way you can ensure that most of the old fluid is gone from the system.
can you please send me the procedure as well. PM sent
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #27
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Ouzzo's Avatar
34
Rep
371
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Egypt

iTrader: (0)

Should we consider timing chain /oil pump chain and guards as well for Preventive maintenance ?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 07:15 PM   #28
IraHayes
Private First Class
55
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 635csi
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzzo View Post
Should we consider timing chain /oil pump chain and guards as well for Preventive maintenance ?
I don't know about the pump, but for me personally, I plan to eventually change the guides on mine. Mine is a 2015 model manufactured in October of 2014. I haven't read about 2015's being affected, but I don't plan on being one of the first.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #29
bavarianride
Lieutenant Colonel
156
Rep
1,792
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

These are videos on ZF 8AT fluid change procedure.



Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #30
bavarianride
Lieutenant Colonel
156
Rep
1,792
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I don't know about the pump, but for me personally, I plan to eventually change the guides on mine. Mine is a 2015 model manufactured in October of 2014. I haven't read about 2015's being affected, but I don't plan on being one of the first.
The cutoff of N20/N26 timing chain extended limited warranty is 2/2015 production.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #31
sspade
Brigadier General
sspade's Avatar
United_States
977
Rep
3,175
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Placerville, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
I don't know about the pump, but for me personally, I plan to eventually change the guides on mine. Mine is a 2015 model manufactured in October of 2014. I haven't read about 2015's being affected, but I don't plan on being one of the first.
The cutoff of N20/N26 timing chain extended limited warranty is 2/2015 production.
Meaning only vehicles produced BEFORE that date are covered?
__________________
BMW 328i visit my garage for build details.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #32
bavarianride
Lieutenant Colonel
156
Rep
1,792
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Meaning only vehicles produced BEFORE that date are covered?
The extended limited warranty applies to production dates up to 2/2015.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:25 PM   #33
bavarianride
Lieutenant Colonel
156
Rep
1,792
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Also subscribed, my 2013 328i is coming up on 90k miles.. Besides the obvious ie : oil change / tires / brakes / air filter / cabin filter I just did the following :

Serp belt + Tensioner ( did at 80k )
Spark Plugs ( every 30k )
Trans Fluid Change ( Manual Trans first time at 80k )
Brake Fluid Flush ( last one at 50k )

Can you guys think of anyhting else that should be done? My thermostat died 2 months ago ( TSB ) dealer replaced it plus the coolant..... When should we replace the rear diff fluid? I know it lasts a long time...

Want this car to last and it stinks there isnt an easy .pdf to follow like my wifes Passat has. Car runs perfect just looking to make sure im not missing anyhting.
Wow 40k miles on brake fluid, has that been 2-3 years yet?

BTW the coolant thermostat recall only replaced 1 liter of lost coolant, so it is not a drain + fill nor a flush.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #34
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
1,088
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Wow 40k miles on brake fluid, has that been 2-3 years yet?

BTW the coolant thermostat recall only replaced 1 liter of lost coolant, so it is not a drain + fill nor a flush.
Yeah I dont race the car, I mean you could do the brake fluid more often but its a bit overkill if you ask me ( I know BMW will say replace it way more often ) but ive had cars with 60k+ on original fluid and nothing rotted and car still braked fine and ive been racing and modding cars for close to 20 years at this point the world wont end As for the coolant ive since flushed it and will do the brake fluid again soon.

Now that 15k oil change, Just say no Liqui Moly every 7k or so.
__________________
13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 02:12 AM   #35
marcozen
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: BimmerLand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
ZF has a very specific procedure for performing service on this transmission. I recently contacted them and they emailed me a PDF outlining exactly how to perform the procedure. If you want, PM me your email and I will send you a copy.

It’s also generally advised after you perform the procedure, to drain and fill again after a couple hundred miles, as a lot of the old fluid will have remained in the TC. This way you can ensure that most of the old fluid is gone from the system.
Guys this is the PDF from ZF on doing the servicing of the transmission / gearbox.

They recommend an oil change every 80k - 120k kilometres.

Looking at the manual , I can SAFELY say that my mechanic DID NOT FOLLOW
the bolting pattern !

Additionally if you have a transmission oil cooler - fill up an extra 0.5 L.

Thanks to @IraHayes as well.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZF_8HP_50130_EN.pdf (714.0 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by marcozen; 08-16-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Added acknowledgemnet to @IraHayes
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #36
IraHayes
Private First Class
55
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 635csi
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozen View Post
Guys this is the PDF from ZF on doing the servicing of the transmission / gearbox.

They recommend an oil change every 80k - 120k kilometres.

Looking at the manual , I can SAFELY say that my mechanic DID NOT FOLLOW
the bolting pattern !

Additionally if you have a transmission oil cooler - fill up an extra 0.5 L.

Thanks to @IraHayes as well.
Thanks for posting that. I'm not that tech savvy and was having a hard time figuring out how to post it.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #37
IraHayes
Private First Class
55
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: 635csi
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Meaning only vehicles produced BEFORE that date are covered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
The extended limited warranty applies to production dates up to 2/2015.
Good to know I'm covered, thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #38
bavarianride
Lieutenant Colonel
156
Rep
1,792
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Yeah I dont race the car, I mean you could do the brake fluid more often but its a bit overkill if you ask me ( I know BMW will say replace it way more often ) but ive had cars with 60k+ on original fluid and nothing rotted and car still braked fine and ive been racing and modding cars for close to 20 years at this point the world wont end As for the coolant ive since flushed it and will do the brake fluid again soon.

Now that 15k oil change, Just say no Liqui Moly every 7k or so.
Amazingly, a colleague at work that buys 2-year MBs and Audis and sell after 6 years(plus 60-80k miles) told me the coolant and brake fluid on those cars were never changed.

His claim is in NorCal mild, dry weather, coolant and brake fluid do not go bad, and his routine is regular probe reading for water% in brake fluid, and pH in coolant.

Dude if that works I will do the same, could have saved me $$$$$ over the years ....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #39
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
1,088
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Amazingly, a colleague at work that buys 2-year MBs and Audis and sell after 6 years(plus 60-80k miles) told me the coolant and brake fluid on those cars were never changed.

His claim is in NorCal mild, dry weather, coolant and brake fluid do not go bad, and his routine is regular probe reading for water% in brake fluid, and pH in coolant.

Dude if that works I will do the same, could have saved me $$$$$ over the years ....
Def... Im not saying if you do it your wasting your money but for me I have not seen much of a diff so I have pushed the intervals out a bit...
__________________
13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 07:28 AM   #40
AGold1988
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
The cutoff of N20/N26 timing chain extended limited warranty is 2/2015 production.
Does this mean a local BMW should be used to replace this? I had no idea about this and drive a 2012 335i.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #41
bavarianride
Lieutenant Colonel
156
Rep
1,792
Posts

Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGold1988 View Post
Does this mean a local BMW should be used to replace this? I had no idea about this and drive a 2012 335i.
2012 335i has N55 engine, which does not have timing chain issue and hence no extended limited warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #42
marcozen
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: BimmerLand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Also subscribed, my 2013 328i is coming up on 90k miles.. Besides the obvious ie : oil change / tires / brakes / air filter / cabin filter I just did the following :

Serp belt + Tensioner ( did at 80k )
Spark Plugs ( every 30k )
Trans Fluid Change ( Manual Trans first time at 80k )
Brake Fluid Flush ( last one at 50k )

Can you guys think of anyhting else that should be done? My thermostat died 2 months ago ( TSB ) dealer replaced it plus the coolant..... When should we replace the rear diff fluid? I know it lasts a long time...

Want this car to last and it stinks there isnt an easy .pdf to follow like my wifes Passat has. Car runs perfect just looking to make sure im not missing anyhting.
Hi bro ... Any update on this ? I am at 100k now too ...Car is fine ... Just want to make sure all the right stuff are done ...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #43
QUiKSR20
Major
QUiKSR20's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
1,088
Posts

Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozen View Post
Hi bro ... Any update on this ? I am at 100k now too ...Car is fine ... Just want to make sure all the right stuff are done ...
Only what you see posted above, Waiting myself to see if anyone else chimes in on Maint they have done or I may have missed.. Cars running great also outside of the oil pump whine that it appears N20's have a 50% chance of developing when the oil is cold ( warm it goes away ).
__________________
13 F30 328i Sport 6MT
95 E36 325i Vert 5MT
92 Sentra SE-R SR20DET DET Build Thread
08 E90 328i Sport [sold]
89 E30 325is [sold & missed]
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #44
marcozen
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: BimmerLand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Only what you see posted above, Waiting myself to see if anyone else chimes in on Maint they have done or I may have missed.. Cars running great also outside of the oil pump whine that it appears N20's have a 50% chance of developing when the oil is cold ( warm it goes away ).
Thanks. Noted.
My next maintenance is my front absorbers... They are leaking slightly.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST