F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > BEST way to LOSE weight
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #155
ScottSinger
Brigadier General
1282
Rep
3,819
Posts

Drives: M235i 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
We aren't trying to make anyone feel bad about progress, but 20%+ body fat really isn't "fit" unless you are going for power without looks (i.e. linebacker).

Sure you can tell there is muscle, but it is not defined. The definition has almost nothing to do with muscle size, it is about the fat around it. Smaller muscles with less body fat will look more defined than more muscles with more body fat, there really is not two ways about it.

Some people may be happy with the participation trophy, but some of us actually like to push a little more and get to a better place. Again, that does not mean that progress itself is not worth anything, it just isn't the best you can do.

What do you think lee priest %’s are while training but off season if he were to compete ?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #156
Mingwan
Captain
978
Rep
931
Posts

Drives: Beastly
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

Lee Priest now or back when he competed? Back in the 90’s he’d get pretty fat. Probably over 30%. I don’t think he bulks as hard, so his bf% would be lower.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #157
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
2424
Rep
2,339
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #158
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
hooligan_COLD's Avatar
2424
Rep
2,339
Posts

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Back in the Mitten

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #159
Mingwan
Captain
978
Rep
931
Posts

Drives: Beastly
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

i wonder where that puts helmut strebl.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #160
Reggie_2005
Second Lieutenant
Reggie_2005's Avatar
United_States
190
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M6
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

the problem with doing mostly cardio is that you end up just looking like a smaller version of the same body you had prior to it.

its important to do weight training. i mean i've seen guys just do nothing but weight training, no cardio, and drop a ridiculous amount of weight.

if you're all about cardio, then the best way to go about losing weight and cutting is sprints. sprints are a full body workout, and you will burn calories extremely fast.

but IMO, again, its important to do everything, and even lean toward more weight training and a little less cardio.

there really is a bunch of different ways to lose weight, and there's no one size fits all program. but it doesn't matter what you do, if you're not eating right, then none of it will matter.
__________________
“All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger.”

— Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #161
damageprone
Captain
354
Rep
719
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

I was never an overweight guy, but I never worked out either. I know it sounds stupid but I tried P90X because someone let me borrow it and it really did change my life. Those Beachbody workouts breakdown exercise for the layman pretty well. They were not easy, but the results were addicting and fast. Just don't fall for the Beachbody pyramid scheme side of things.

One of the best parts of the workouts is that you don't really need that much equipment. You don't need weights if you don't have them, bands will do. A pull-up bar and some space is really all you need.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #162
ssmuff
New Member
ssmuff's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 328i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Nebraska

iTrader: (0)

I didn't read through all the pages but I still wanted to chime in even though I am sure keto has been hit on already. I am actually doing a weight loss percentage challenge at work with a few coworkers. I can tell you for me what has worked is going keto plus we have $$$ on the line. It may seem hard at first but you really can find a lot of food to eat to keep you in ketosis. If you go this route buy yourself some pee test stripes so that you can test yourself. You can also use myfitness pal to help track your food and exercise.

Breakfast - fasting
Lunch - 2-3 deviled eggs topped with bacon and jalapenos, 2-4oz turket lunch meat, 1/3 cup full fat cottage cheese.
Dinner - 1 serving of meat (chicken, pork, steak, brat), salad with cheese, bacon, and ranch dressing.
Workout at night - 30-60 minutes.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and you may want to supplement with a vitamin.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #163
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
118
Rep
737
Posts

Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
I was never an overweight guy, but I never worked out either. I know it sounds stupid but I tried P90X because someone let me borrow it and it really did change my life. Those Beachbody workouts breakdown exercise for the layman pretty well. They were not easy, but the results were addicting and fast. Just don't fall for the Beachbody pyramid scheme side of things.

One of the best parts of the workouts is that you don't really need that much equipment. You don't need weights if you don't have them, bands will do. A pull-up bar and some space is really all you need.
You need a lot of will power to stick to the program all by yourself, in your room, without anybody motivating you.
Some people can do it. Not for everybody.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #164
robmx
Private
26
Rep
62
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Think you need to incorporate about 2-3 hrs strength and weights a week even with big volumes of cardio if you don’t want (or need) to look like a famished endurance athlete. Make sure you keep the upper body workouts going throughout the year, even if it’s just maintainence. Rowing is also good option for gym based cardio that also works to increase strength, it really hurts when you go all in on one.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #165
damageprone
Captain
354
Rep
719
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
You need a lot of will power to stick to the program all by yourself, in your room, without anybody motivating you.
Some people can do it. Not for everybody.
This is true, luckily for me, my coworkers at the time were all doing it at the same time separately in their own homes so we could all commiserate, and all see the progress we were making. It was really great.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #166
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
118
Rep
737
Posts

Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
This is true, luckily for me, my coworkers at the time were all doing it at the same time separately in their own homes so we could all commiserate, and all see the progress we were making. It was really great.
Was? What made you stop?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #167
damageprone
Captain
354
Rep
719
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Was? What made you stop?
I never actually did. I continued for about 6 years of multiple rounds of rounds of p90x and various versions of it that came out thereafter. Tried the other beach body workouts. As with most people I just slowly stopped working out as I got older. I still do but with less frequency as I started getting migraines from them (go figure).

As I said before the beach body workouts really help breakdown working out for the layman. Since I’ve been able to use their concepts to either make my own routines or just put together other pieces of other programs like from Nike Training if I don’t know what to do.

Last edited by damageprone; 11-18-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #168
GiofromNJ
Second Lieutenant
GiofromNJ's Avatar
241
Rep
273
Posts

Drives: '14 X5 x35 M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Morris County, NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
i wonder where that puts helmut strebl.
-5%
Appreciate 1
Mingwan977.50

      01-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #169
LeeD31
First Lieutenant
LeeD31's Avatar
Canada
51
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: YMB F80 M3\EB 328xi Tour\G01X3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damageprone View Post
I was never an overweight guy, but I never worked out either. I know it sounds stupid but I tried P90X because someone let me borrow it and it really did change my life. Those Beachbody workouts breakdown exercise for the layman pretty well. They were not easy, but the results were addicting and fast. Just don't fall for the Beachbody pyramid scheme side of things.

One of the best parts of the workouts is that you don't really need that much equipment. You don't need weights if you don't have them, bands will do. A pull-up bar and some space is really all you need.
Haven't tried P90X but might get into it later. I've been doing insanity deluxe and max 30 and those have really changed my life (sounds cheesy as well). I have 3 kids and 2 dogs and I really don't have much time to spend 1hr + at a gym so these programs are really suited for my situation. I've been on the program for more than 3 years working out 5-6 days out of the week and I love it! I don't care much for fat loss, so I still eat whatever I want and am still in shape.
__________________
MCB M3 Edition /VO 1M /MW X1 28i

Karmaloop Rep Code: 'DUBST3P' for 20% off your order @ www.karmaloop.com
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #170
damageprone
Captain
354
Rep
719
Posts

Drives: '15 F80
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Casino

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD31 View Post
Haven't tried P90X but might get into it later. I've been doing insanity deluxe and max 30 and those have really changed my life (sounds cheesy as well). I have 3 kids and 2 dogs and I really don't have much time to spend 1hr + at a gym so these programs are really suited for my situation. I've been on the program for more than 3 years working out 5-6 days out of the week and I love it! I don't care much for fat loss, so I still eat whatever I want and am still in shape.
After doing these programs, I tried going to the gym and I couldn't stand getting ready, sitting in traffic, working out, going home, showering,etc., when I could have already been at home and finished with those stupid DVDs.

Those programs really spoiled me haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #171
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
7109
Rep
20,556
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Tape worms and cancer both work.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto2461.00

      01-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #172
slcook54
New Member
slcook54's Avatar
15
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2012 MR M3
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Have you tried fasting?

I've been doing a combination of intermittent and prolonged fasting for the last 6 months and have had some fantastic results. My diet follows the Wahls protocol, feel free to Google it, but it's basically a derivation of Paleo.

A typical week for me exercise wise is 3 days of powerlifting and 3 days of Jiu-Jitsu. I use the Barbell Medicine HLM program, which can be found here. I did lose noticeable amounts of strength during the initial period of intermittent fasting, but after 6 weeks of an 8 week powerlifting program, I'm back to 85% of my previous 1RM's.

The below results are from a Hydrostatic body fat test. Since 7/22/18, body fat % is down 11.92%, total weight down 33lbs, fat down 29.15, lean mass only down 3.85lbs. Most noticeably, on my last test, I lost 9.4lbs of fat and gained 3.6lbs of lean mass.



Last edited by slcook54; 01-25-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Appreciate 1
de Witt13.00

      01-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #173
uniqueMR
Colonel
uniqueMR's Avatar
United_States
948
Rep
2,149
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M4 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
I've been doing a combination of intermittent and prolonged fasting for the last 6 months and have had some fantastic results. My diet follows the Wahls protocol, feel free to Google it, but it's basically a derivation of Paleo.

A typical week for me exercise wise is 3 days of powerlifting and 3 days of Jiu-Jitsu. I use the Barbell Medicine HLM program, which can be found here. I did lose noticeable amounts of strength during the initial period of intermittent fasting, but after 6 weeks of an 8 week powerlifting program, I'm back to 85% of my previous 1RM's.

The below results are from a Hydrostatic body fat test. Since 7/22/18, body fat % is down 11.92%, total weight down 33lbs, fat down 29.15, lean mass only down 3.85lbs. Most noticeably, on my last test, I lost 9.4lbs of fat and gained 3.6lbs of lean mass.



Very impressive ..
__________________
Currently: BMW M4 Competition & Audi S3 Prestige
Previous BMWs: 340i, M3, 745Li, 740i
Previously Owned: Audi, Ducati, Honda, Infiniti, Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volkswagen
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 07:12 PM   #174
1claire
New Member
1claire's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 Alpine White
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Take control of what you eat, exercise is not enough to lose weight if you won't have a healthy diet.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:01 AM   #175
Germanauto
Colonel
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
2461
Rep
2,411
Posts

Drives: BMW, Lexus
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NW and Midwest

iTrader: (0)

Sometimes diet isn't enough for me. The trick has been throwing in some HIIT several times a week. Just 5-10 mins of cycles with 30 sec sprinting and 1 min walking. Weight melts right off like butter.

Unfortunately sometimes I overdo it and lose gains too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #176
de Witt
New Member
13
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: M5s & 06 E91 325xiA
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
Take control of what you eat, exercise is not enough to lose weight if you won't have a healthy diet.
It comes down to a caloric deficit, regardless of what is on the menu. Your statement is ambiguous as to the term "healthy diet" and for most obese/overweight people the real issue is eating in excess of caloric requirements, regardless of what nutrients they shove in their mouths.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST