F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Fuel Filter Clips
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-20-2018, 10:48 PM   #1
kdog_x
Second Lieutenant
106
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 14 328d
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Fuel Filter Clips

Any chance anyone knows a part number or source for for the little clips that go on the fuel filter? The factory ones were quite stubborn and ended up breaking last change. I went to the auto parts store and got a universal kit but none were an exact match. I ended up using one from the kit with a wire tie to hold in place. Its 40k later and its held fine but its coming time to tackle it again, so I'd like to get the right part on there if I can find it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
Hypermile
Second Lieutenant
Hypermile's Avatar
Canada
34
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

I fucking hate that clip. Took me 1 hour to put the damn thing back on. It kept rubbing just before going through the exit holes, I had to put the clip on a vice and bend the ends of the clip so they are not so angled out. I'm dreading doing my fuel filter again because of the clip. I'm wondering if we can find an after market solution? Fuck BMW for over engineering shit like this. The fuel filter for my NMS Passat TDI and MK6 Jetta TDI were both in the engine bay in a canister that took about 4-5 torx screws to take a part, the entire job took 15 mins.
__________________
2017 F31 328d xDrive
M Sport
M Performance

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
Enabled
Lieutenant
180
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: 328xd Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

The larger metal one or other little plastic ones?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1471



FWIW, the larger metal clip has a harder time going in when the heater module isn't all the way in or fully seated.
__________________
-2014 328d Wagon 2WD, 8HP flash, self-tuned, 250hp/420ft-lbs.
Others
-E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg Modded. S52 Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Hypermile
Second Lieutenant
Hypermile's Avatar
Canada
34
Rep
270
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Any chance anyone knows a part number or source for for the little clips that go on the fuel filter? The factory ones were quite stubborn and ended up breaking last change. I went to the auto parts store and got a universal kit but none were an exact match. I ended up using one from the kit with a wire tie to hold in place. Its 40k later and its held fine but its coming time to tackle it again, so I'd like to get the right part on there if I can find it. Thanks!
13327789220
__________________
2017 F31 328d xDrive
M Sport
M Performance

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
kdog_x
Second Lieutenant
106
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 14 328d
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

It's the little plastic ones that broke on me, can't seem to find a PN for those. I didn't have the tool to squeeze the tabs so I attempted to pop it apart and broke it. I think they are a commonly broken item since the auto parts store sells a kit with 5 different types in it. (Not this one of course) I think I ended up using one for GM cars since it was closest, but like I said it wasn't an exact fit so I had to back it up with a wire tie to make sure the line was secure.

The metal one was a PITA as well, but I just filed it down on the ends to give it a slightly different contour and it went on with just a little wrestling.

Last edited by kdog_x; 12-21-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
wicked510
Enlisted Member
15
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 328d xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Berkeley, CA

iTrader: (0)

I did the same exact thing. Currently running with both sides taped on there.... I will check out the clip kit you mentioned.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0882

It looks like part #1 but it would be silly to replace the hose because of the plastic clip
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
hrdkrpmp
New Member
hrdkrpmp's Avatar
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2016 LCI 320d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NI

iTrader: (0)

anyone get any further with these? I ordered an extra hose used but would like to get spares for next time
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #8
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
I fucking hate that clip. Took me 1 hour to put the damn thing back on. It kept rubbing just before going through the exit holes, I had to put the clip on a vice and bend the ends of the clip so they are not so angled out. I'm dreading doing my fuel filter again because of the clip. I'm wondering if we can find an after market solution? Fuck BMW for over engineering shit like this. The fuel filter for my NMS Passat TDI and MK6 Jetta TDI were both in the engine bay in a canister that took about 4-5 torx screws to take a part, the entire job took 15 mins.
This is going to sound dumb. But I had the same experience... Ended up just popping the clip on the outside of the filter. It snapped into place on the outside and held as far as I can tell. Does what I am saying make sense at all? I might have to take pictures for you
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
kdog_x
Second Lieutenant
106
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 14 328d
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
This is going to sound dumb. But I had the same experience... Ended up just popping the clip on the outside of the filter. It snapped into place on the outside and held as far as I can tell. Does what I am saying make sense at all? I might have to take pictures for you
The metal clip? I wouldn't feel comfortable not having that one fully seated for fear it would vibrate it's way loose. The angle is terrible on it though... I spent a good hour messing with it before I ended up just filing it down a little. It still takes a little wrestling, but now it installs in 5 minutes and it's still plenty secure. I'll have to snap a picture next time I have it off, I'm due to change filter again soon. Going to do the transfer case flange mod and guibo while I'm down there. Got some Loctite 660 coming on a slow boat from China, so probably will be a project in the next few weeks.

I would love to get the correct plastic clips, but it appears BMW picked a non standard size (at least in the US) and only made it available with a replacement fuel line. The GM clip and a wire tie over it has been holding fine though.

Last edited by kdog_x; 02-19-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
n00bkiller944
Second Lieutenant
56
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: '14 328d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
The metal clip? I wouldn't feel comfortable not having that one fully seated for fear it would vibrate it's way loose. The angle is terrible on it though... I spent a good hour messing with it before I ended up just filing it down a little. It still takes a little wrestling, but now it installs in 5 minutes and it's still plenty secure. I'll have to snap a picture next time I have it off, I'm due to change filter again soon. Going to do the transfer case flange mod and guibo while I'm down there. Got some Loctite 660 coming on a slow boat from China, so probably will be a project in the next few weeks.

I would love to get the correct plastic clips, but it appears BMW picked a non standard size (at least in the US) and only made it available with a replacement fuel line. The GM clip and a wire tie over it has been holding fine though.
Yeah if you do not mind. Please send a photo if you can
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #11
kdog_x
Second Lieutenant
106
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 14 328d
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Changed the filter again last night. Here is a picture of my modified metal clip. Goes in in 30 seconds with a few hammer taps. Still takes alot of force to get it back out.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 09:59 PM   #12
328dX
David
328dX's Avatar
United_States
348
Rep
1,028
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX wagon
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Changed the filter again last night. Here is a picture of my modified metal clip. Goes in in 30 seconds with a few hammer taps. Still takes alot of force to get it back out.
Is there any DIY online showing how to remove the plastic ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 07:03 PM   #13
kdog_x
Second Lieutenant
106
Rep
241
Posts

Drives: 14 328d
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Haha, I could use a DIY on that one. I successfully broke both the front and back plastic ones, they are ridiculously fragile. As long as one is still intact, a wire tie the same width as the clip seems to suffice. These are the correct tool (which I bought after breaking both)
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST